Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is the grass really greener?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the grass really greener?
    Posted: July 09 2000 at 4:35pm
I think it does depend on our environment. I remember about ten years or so there was this attitude that long hair was sexier. Now today I don't find there is an attitude lately what is sexier but I do find something very interesting.
Lately a bunch of us students were discussing hair coloring and I found it very interesting that the ladies in their early 20s' were more determine about letting their hair go natural when they start to have white new. When I mentioned that I thought of dying it soon because I am getting whitter they talked me out of it and also thought keeping my long hair was a good idea. It really had nothing to do with one pressure or the another. The tread here is very diffirent. We have younger groups of people who purposely dye their top of their heads to give the look that the roots are much darker than their hair which in reality it is the underneath that is their real color. We have long hair ladies with purple curls and I am talking long hair that easily reaches the waist and it is died like an accessory color.
dianefromcanada
HipChic View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HipChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2000 at 9:45pm
Interesting...hmmm you do think long hairs receive more pressure. That is so wierd because I've always thought the greater pressures is to have long hair. But the reason I titled it "Grass is greener" is because I've been on both sides (long vs short) and I've felt both pressures. Now, it goes without saying that you can choose (and should) NOT to feel the pressure.
Perhaps it depends on your environment, do you think?
For example, the corporate world the pressures would lean towards short hair, some variation on the bob.(or simply pulled back of course)I actually worked at a place where the boss told another girl that she would look more professional if she cut her hair!
But, around other social groups I've seen Long hair be THE way to have your hair (since guys prefer long hair or at least thats the perception).
Then there's the everchanging fashion world, not just on the catwalks but look at all the newly Longer haired celebrities Jen Aniston, Faith Hill, previously Lauren Holly, Nancy O'Dell, etc. granted a lot of that is not their own (extensions) but, you see the trend)
Anyway...your not freakish!! At least not to me!
Beatnik Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatnik Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2000 at 1:57pm
Nice sentiments HipChic! Being happy, making your own decisions and not being affected by what society tells you is a great way to live.

I do think that us long hairs face pressures that others don't...are we really so freakish? A few long haired catwalk models isn't really comparable with wider society prejudices in favour of short hair...catwalk models (good though its is to see them with longer hair) are almost outside of the 'real world'.
Chris
HipChic View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HipChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2000 at 11:45pm
Its so interesting reading about people with long hair who feel the pressure of the fashion world to cut their hair. But also, those with short hair feel the pressure of the fashion world (particularly now) to have long hair. Other pressures include how we are viewed by the opposite sex, the corporate world, our friends, etc. I think the best thing to do is to be happy with your own hairstyle and therefore you will exude confidence and of course then look YOUR best, whatever the current styles. Which of course means you will always have someone not liking the cut because you cannot please everyone all the time! So what, be yourself & then you'll be the happiest. Anyone agree?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic