Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it rude to give a compliment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it rude to give a compliment?
    Posted: July 29 2000 at 1:43pm
If I think someone, usually female, has nice or unusual hair I will say so, since I find hair fascinating, but I find that people just don't seem to appreciate it! Even friends and colleagues mumble their thanks shyly and look at the floor, some give a look that says "What's it to you?" I only know one girl who took it as intended. Two recent incidents from my home town of Preston in the UK: A woman I know spotted another lady with a really unusual asymmetrically layered crop, went up to her and said "Excuse me, I really love your hair. Could you please tell me who your stylist is?" Came the reply: "No, it's unique to me and I want it to stay that way. Go away!" And last week I saw a close cropped "skinhead" who turned out to be a female, and she looked completely distraught! The obvious scenario; had all her hair off and instantly regretted it. I wanted to say "Hey, you look ok, really", which she did, but I said nothing fearing a reply on the lines of "Get lost, creep". What a shame that we seem unable to brighten peoples lives with an unsolicted compliment. Or maybe it IS rude??
phil
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2000 at 9:11pm
I like people to compliment my hair. I cut if off almost 3 years ago and have been growing it back out for about 2 and a half. I used to wear it up a lot so people didn't know how long it had gotten. I love to hear people comment on what it looks like now. I ran into one of my old hair stylists and she told me that my hair was beautiful. I was happy for the rest of the day. :) I can't wait to see what people say if I let it get longer (which I hope that I can do).
Natalie
Catriona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catriona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2000 at 7:37pm
I think it's very unfortunate that the people you mentioned don't know how to accept a compliment. Whenever my hair gets complimented on, my entire day is brightened =) You certainly are not being rude by saying something nice to someone; they're being rude by not saying "thank you"!
Catriona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catriona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2000 at 7:37pm
I think it's very unfortunate that the people you mentioned don't know how to accept a compliment. Whenever my hair gets complimented on, my entire day is brightened =) You certainly are not being rude by saying something nice to someone; they're being rude by not saying "thank you"!
Catriona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Angelpog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelpog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2000 at 1:47am
No it's not rude to give a compliment.....I have thigh length hair....and I love it when people give me compliments...It brightens my day and makes me feel good....

But what I think is rude is when people start telling me I need to cut my hair because long hair is out....I just nicley tell them "Don't think so!" and I tell them that I'm an aspiring Crystal Gayle...and that usually shuts them up....
There`s a God-shaped hole in all of us
And the restless soul is searching
There`s a God-shaped hole in all of us
And it`s a void only he can fill...
-- "God-shaped Hole" by Plumb
longhair2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhair2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2000 at 2:38am
It's not rude to give a compliment in fact I believe that most of us desire compliments for our own well being. Just the other day, I complimented a lady with dark auburn hair in a braid down below her bottom. It was extremely healthy and beautiful. She broke into a big smile and said, "Thank you!" Her response to my compliment gave me pleasure for her willing acceptance. As you can she it works both ways.

longhair2000
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2000 at 7:57pm
Another thought -- an unsolicited compliment is also an unsolicited comment.

Although your intentions are good, I totally sympathize with the women. Perhaps they think you are hitting on them -- after all, you are being very forward.

Also, to me, it draws attention to the outside of a person instead of what's on the inside. And it can make people much more self-conscious, as well. It says, "Hey, I'm paying attention to how you look." That may sound good, but a person may feel self-conscious when she knows she isn't looking her best because she knows you'll notice!

Awhile back, when I cut my long hair short, I HATED it. However, it was a rather drastic change, and several people loved it, and everyone made a huge fuss over it. When someone made a positive comment, I barely smiled and immediately changed the subject. But some people kept going on and on about how much they loved it! Finally, the worst time was when I was doing some volunteer work with a woman who absolutely flipped over my hair. She told me multiple times how "QQQQQQQ---ute" she thought my hair was and didn't I just "love" it? I said no, and she went on and on "complimenting" me on it. But what her words really said to me were, "If you don't like it, then your taste is bad." Admittedly, I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to the subject of my hair, but I was just amazed that people kept going on and on, even when I gave a strong indication that I did not want to discuss it! It was like they were trying to change my mind, and I found it rude.

Although compliments are nice, an unsolicited compliment is indeed an unsolicited comment. And unsolicited comments are, by their very nature, offered without consent or for anyone asking for them. Therefore, I'll side with the European attitude that it is rude to make *any* unsolicited comment about a person's appearance. (Extremely close friends and lovers may be exempt, though!)

ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 8:21am
really really old thread here, but worth rehashing..even if just so i can put my thoughts down....

for me, i love getting compliments from strangers...but mainly i only appreciate comments from women...
in general i have found men pay little attention to a woman they don't know unless they have other intentions...and mainly i am not interested in encouraging such attention so tend to just politely smile and go along with my day...
if a woman compliments me that really counts....
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....
SummerM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SummerM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 8:40am
I like hair complimets too. The only time it would bother me is if someone said something rude to me- cut my hair, whatever.

Frankly I have discovered its women who make the most rude comments to other women- its almost like they can say whatever they want because they are a woman. Rarely do I see or hear of men saying something rude to a woman about her appearance.

ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 9:13am
here in south london i get a lot of van-weasels making rude comments...not mean, but you get tired of such gems as.
'cheer up love'.. ' it might never happen' 'phwoar'...'awight dawin!'..
and so on and so on and so on.....
some will even get angry and tell me to 'f**k off then' if i don't respnd..what do they expect really?for me to flash a smile and ask for their number..i don't think so...

i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....
ConanOBrien View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConanOBrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 4:45am
Sorry To hear that Ames.
Men can be so insensitve.
I never do cat calls or inappropriate comments.
Like when I was single I never said stuff in bars to the ladies like
"Do you have any Irish in you?" "No?" "Do you want some?" because that would had been just terrible.
I have high moral fiber.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 9:05am
Yep, guys can be pretty creepy. It's their inner lizard speaking.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 11:28am
Yiii, inner lizards - is there a rerun of the show "V" from ages back?

IMO they are just not grown up, boys in the body of a man. Luckily not all behave that way.
BlondeJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 12:32am
I wear long hair, and I try and take care of my straight, mid-back length, dark blonde hair (with the help of my wife, who is very good at detangling and brushing my hair). I use good shampoos and conditioners and go to a salon to trim my split ends in a blunt cut. I feel my hair looks good.
Maybe the long haired ladies feel like they are in competition with long haired men. Who knows? But they compliment me less often on my long tresses than the women with short hair do.
Women do "hit on me" sometimes, try and get a date with me or pick me up, maybe because they are very into ultra-long haired men like myself. I politely tell them I am married. It doesn't bother me any when they do that really, unless they are obnoxious about it. I regard it as a compliment of sorts.

deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 11:24am
Hi Hi:

I think its fine to give one a compliment about there hair. I think its very rude to say somthing negitive about ones hair.

The old saying. If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all.

To many people give advise. When it is not asked for. It turn, I can be very direct myself. When this happens to me. I turn and and asked them.

When did I ask for your advise? If I wanted your advise, I would ask for it. Other wise please keep your opinions to yourself.

Hugs - Susan
Susan
VeeDubGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDubGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 6:54pm
I like compliments on my hair. What I hate though is when people say, "Wow, your hair looks so much better than it did before." Would it be so hard to jsut say my hair is nice without insulting what I looked like in the past? 

Edited by VeeDubGirl
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 10:00pm

Originally posted by VeeDubGirl VeeDubGirl wrote:

I like compliments on my hair. WHat I hate though is when pwople say, "Wow, your hair looks so much better than it did before." Would it be so hard to jsut say my hair is nice without insulting what I looked like in the past? 

I agree.

I love getting compliments on my hair.  They give me a little self-esteem boost and make my whole day nicer.  But I usually only get them from friends and family members; it might be a little weird to get a compliment from a complete stranger.  I wouldn't be totally rude to the person about it though.

*Edited for grammar mistake.

Edited by Katja
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 8:04am
I don't even mind compliments from strangers, most of the time. One time while waiting for the teller at the bank, this little old lady said, "You have such beautiful dark hair. My hair used to be exactly that color many years ago!" And we ended up having a lovely conversation (and good thing, because the teller was moving slooooowly).
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
alvin8191 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alvin8191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 2:01pm
A compliment is a compliment, be it about your hair, your smile, your eyes, or sense of style. Most of us can tell a sincere compliment from a line of bull. If someone (male or female) is moved enough to pay you that compliment enjoy it!  
short is good, buzzed is better, bald is best!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic