Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

female hair length at work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: female hair length at work
    Posted: August 26 2000 at 10:02am
At a job interview on Friday I was told I would have a
better chance of being offered the job if I agreed to cut
my hair as my hair (41 inches long) was thought did not
project a "proffessional image." Has anyone else
encountered this? And what should I do?
COUNT DOWN TO WEDDING
7 wks left
hls View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2000 at 12:10pm
I don't agree that just because your hair is long you can't look professional. I would agree that it is much easier to have a 'professional' style when your hair is shorter, in your case a lot shorter.
If you have considered cutting your hair this might be the time to do it. If not think twice before the scissors snip or you might regret it for a long time.
melinda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melinda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2000 at 2:58pm
Yes, my boss told me the same thing when he gave me a promotion. Don't do it, I didn't. Long hair is sexy and most men love it, you'll regret it later in life. There's other jobs out there!
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2000 at 3:38pm
This is the sort of thing that makes my blood boil! It isn't too long ago that female interviewees could be asked if they were considering having children. Now this is taboo they are picking on hairstyles as a means of their mealy-mouthed manipulation. Don't do it! Why on God's Earth should they be allowed to dictate to you that which is purely personal? Besides,think how you would feel if you cut your hair and then didn't get the job.
phil
guywithbraids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guywithbraids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2000 at 4:50pm
Hi, I don't think you should do it. I have seen many people project a very professional look with long hair. Like one of the other posters said suppose you cut it and didn't get the job. Also, how much of a haircut did he want you to get? 1", 12",24" Where would it end. I can't imagine that if you were a man who was bald, you wouuld be told to wear a toupe. Stick to your guns, with the economy the way it is there are plenty of jobs out there
Good Luck
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2000 at 9:34pm
Hi Amanda,

I also have very long hair and have been through the interview process several times. Like you, I have been told by interviewers that I should cut my hair to improve my chances of employment. I did not want to cut my hair, and so I did not. You will get job offers, but most importantly, you don't have to work for anybody who makes an issue of your hair length as a condition of (potential or continued) employment. Good luck!

Dave
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2000 at 12:41pm
Amanda, please don't give in to cut off your hair. It sounds great and it is nothing one can find at each corner.
You are not a slave of someone's opinion. If you didn't want a change and if you like your hair it would be a great loss for you, you can not go back. I think if they need your skills you will get the job, otherwise it is not clear if this work is really comfortable for you. It needs a backbone to live after own preference but it is worth to do it. The outcoming personalities are more interesting, also for job offerts.

wolfgang
Cindy C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2000 at 7:14pm
Hi Amanda,
If you are meeting with this kind of reaction at job interviews, consider wearing your hair up. They won't know how long it is, then after you land the job and have been there a while, pull the pins out and lay it on them! Never underestimate the element of surprise.

There are definately alternatives to cutting your hair.
Best of luck, Cindy C.
guywithbraids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guywithbraids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2000 at 11:05am
Hi Cindy, What a great idea, and an obvious solution, I'm amazed that the rest of us didn't think of it.
Amanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2000 at 5:17pm
Thank you all for your comments. The only problem
with Cindy's suggestion is that I don't put my hair up
that often and so am not very good at it and, once it is
up I always feel that it is about to come tumbling down!
Besides I find it gives me a headache when it is up.
COUNT DOWN TO WEDDING
7 wks left
David_Justin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_Justin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2000 at 12:50pm
Cutting your hair short may actually cause you NOT to get hired at some places. At my law firm, we do not hire women with short hair. They seem in general to display a certain uncooperative attitude which I don't like. I have mostly working-class male clients who are uncomfortable with women who do not look and act feminine. Never mind, it is perfectly legal (we are an employment law firm, we should know) Federal law allows employers to make reasonable regulations on hair length, so a requirement that a female employees have hair at least to the shoulders is acceptable since that describes a substantial portion of the female population. A woman with 41" of hair would be very welcome to interview with us. In fact, if we hired her, we would probably throw in a shampoo allowance as part of the compensation package.

DAVID, Esquire

wavemantoo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavemantoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2000 at 4:44pm
Regardless of whether or not you want to cut your hair -- the REAL question is: Do you want to work at a place that dicates how you wear your hair ? The obvious answer to me is NO. EVEN if you DID want to cut your hair, I don't think you'd should be interested in a job with these people. If they don't need your SKILLS, someone else will !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic