Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The View & Locks Of Love - What`s Up With That?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The View & Locks Of Love - What`s Up With That?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
George B. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The View & Locks Of Love - What`s Up With That?
    Posted: December 03 2000 at 2:59pm
I just heard that the Lisa Ling was going to cut off her beautiful long hair and donate it to Locks of Love because of all the pressure from her viewers to do that. Doesn`t she KNOW whats up with Locks of Love and how they take lots of hair that they resell to who knows where?

Comments on this explosive topic?

McKee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2000 at 7:16pm
Reply to message: 10.3173.1
I think you must have gotten some misinformation on locks of love. They have never sold hair to anybody and it is all made into hairpieces for cancer and disease patients. If Lisa Ling wants to do that, more power to her. If I had long enough hair i would definitly give it to locks of love.
"If everybody demanded peace instead of another television set, then there`d be peace"

~John W. Lennon
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2000 at 7:49pm
Reply to message: 10.3174.1
quote:

McKee originally wrote:
I think you must have gotten some misinformation on locks of love. They have never sold hair to anybody and it is all made into hairpieces for cancer and disease patients. If Lisa Ling wants to do that, more power to her. If I had long enough hair i would definitly give it to locks of love.

You are wrong...

From www.locksoflove.org...

Q: Can I donate a ponytail that is shorter than 10 inches?
A: Yes, but only with the understanding that it will most likely be sold to help offset the at-cost manufacturing of hairpieces for children. If this is your desire, please include a note to this effect with your hair donation.

Locks of Love does sell excess hair to help pay for costs involved with manufacturing of hairpieces.

Q
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2000 at 8:16pm
quote:
George B. originally wrote: I just heard that the Lisa Ling was going to cut off her beautiful long hair and donate it to Locks of Love because of all the pressure from her viewers to do that. Doesn't she KNOW whats up with Locks of Love and how they take lots of hair that they resell to who knows where?

Yes, I have a comment...

I see that the hair sales issue has been answered....

If what you`ve otherwise said is true, I think it`s very sad that viewers pressured her to cut her hair. I thought the point of the show was to enjoy the discussions among and between the hosts and their guests -- not to pressure one of the hosts to change her appearance.
Cay View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2000 at 3:08pm
A girl at our school got her knee length hair cut off for those Locks people because all of her friends pressured her and she looks terrible. She hates it and said she cried for day after. Then she found out that NOT all the hair is used in wigs. In fact, she is not freaked about who knows where her hair is. I feel sorry for her.

I think people should mind their own business about Lisa Ling.

Cay
George B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2000 at 3:16pm
Sorry to tell you but you are misinformed about what happens to the hair. As are most people. Read the info below about what happens to the hair. This is common knowledge that LoL does not begin to even get close to using all the hair they collect into wigs. Lots and lots of excess is sold, again, to who knows where.

George
Maven View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2000 at 9:22pm
Reply to message: 10.3178.1
quote:

George B originally wrote:
Sorry to tell you but you are misinformed about what happens to the hair. As are most people. Read the info below about what happens to the hair. This is common knowledge that LoL does not begin to even get close to using all the hair they collect into wigs. Lots and lots of excess is sold, again, to who knows where.

George

What info below?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2000 at 12:45am
Reply to message: 10.3179.1
You are wrong...

From www.locksoflove.org...
Hi,

George was referring to Q`s post that was actually above his reply. Q said that if you go to the Locks of Love website you will see the following information that is from Locks of Love:

Q: Can I donate a ponytail that is shorter than 10 inches?
A: Yes, but only with the understanding that it will most likely be sold to help offset the at-cost manufacturing of hairpieces for children. If this is your desire, please include a note to this effect with your hair donation.

Locks of Love does sell excess hair to help pay for costs involved with manufacturing of hairpieces.

George was pointing out that even Locks of Love acknowledges that they sell hair and not all hair goes to the children. In fact, recent investigations on this organization shows that very little of the hair actually goes to wigs for the kids and the majority of donated is hair is sold. Where and to whom is the controversy. People were not, until recently, advised that their hair might be sold to wherever.

Hope that helps.
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2000 at 12:53am
Reply to message: 10.3180.1
Hi,

Another comment from me. The thing that is upsetting about Locks of Love is that people are pressured to donate their hair which is then sold to "raise money to make wigs".

OK, so I am a big believer in charity. HairBoutique.com and my other company, T&S Software, donates heavily to the cause of breast cancer (HairBoutique.com donated profits from our store for two months of 2000 to Avon & T&S matched those donations of HB.com) and to the Girl Scouts and to other good causes. We donate money and in the case of the Girl Scouts we donated products for abused kids (shampoos, conditions, soaps, etc.,).

However, no one pressures Jeff or I to cut our hair in order to give to charities. If Locks needs money for the making of the wigs for kids that is great. Ask for money and financial donations. Why pressure people to cut off their hair?

Other charities don`t pressure people who give to cut off body parts, they ask for donations and help. So if Locks only uses a very small amount of hair in the actual wigs, why not encourage people to give money instead? Why raise money by selling people`s hair that is not going in the wigs for the kids?

I think if a lot of people KNEW that their hair was being sold to raise money and that their hair was not going into an actual wig for the kids they would probably rather donate money instead.

Just my opinion.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2000 at 7:45am
Reply to message: 10.3176.1
quote:

DaveDecker originally wrote:
quote:

George B. originally wrote:
I just heard that the Lisa Ling was going to cut off her beautiful long hair and donate it to Locks of Love because of all the pressure from her viewers to do that. Doesn't she KNOW whats up with Locks of Love and how they take lots of hair that they resell to who knows where?

Yes, I have a comment...

I see that the hair sales issue has been answered....

If what you've otherwise said is true, I think it's very sad that viewers pressured her to cut her hair. I thought the point of the show was to enjoy the discussions among and between the hosts and their guests -- not to pressure one of the hosts to change her appearance.

Just a quick comment, Lisa decided ON HER OWN that she was going to cut her hair and was deluged with emails not to. Once it became obvious she would anyway, folks posting to The View`s messageboard began to heavily encourage her to donate the cut hair to "Locks of Love". Lisa then said on the show that she would. Considering how the cut was done however (basically just hacked), I doubt the hair was collectable into a form that could even be donated.

Just wanted to clarify a bit,
JerkyFlea
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2000 at 8:32am
Reply to message: 10.3182.1
Thanks for the clarification, JerkyFlea. It seems odd that she decided to cut because she had just recently stated that she loved her hair (as it was, before the cut). Does anybody here have any idea how to explain that conflict?

And a brief comment to Karen, I actually don`t know if Locks directly pressures people to cut their hair; HOWEVER, they remain silent when other agencies (individuals, talk show hosts, journalists, corporations) pressure people to cut their hair for donation to Locks, because Locks stands to reap the windfall.... or should I say hairfall?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2000 at 12:25am
Reply to message: 10.3183.1
Hi Dave,

I apologize if I gave the impression that the Locks of Love people are actively involved in the pressure. I have no conclusive evidence of that. However, there is also no evidence that they discourage the press pressure and public opinion which is definitely measurable. The media has been very outspoken in promoting this cause. Also, there is a traveling recruitment team that goes from city to city to recruit hair for LOL. I don`t know if they are controlled by LOL but I also don`t see LOL pushing for donations rather than hair. Which is my big point.

I am not saying this is a bad charity. I am not saying that they don`t do go things for kids who have lost their hair. All I am saying is that people need to be informed of ALL the facts and that they should be told that it is just as helpful to give money as hair...since afterall, they sell hair to get money for the charity.

Thanks for clarifying Dave. I agree, there is no obvious string that points to LOL as pressuring people to cut their hair. However, there is also no obvious string that shows that they do not direct the press in their efforts.

Best wishes,
Karen
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2000 at 10:34am
Reply to message: 10.3184.1
Hi Karen, no need for apology (none warranted). You are correct in that there is no evidence that they discourage these pressures. Thanks for your clarification!
Randy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2000 at 1:17am
Get a grip. Who cares if they sell some of the hair to offset the costs of making hairpieces. Do you tihnk that Feed The Children spends every penny of feeding the children. No, they don`t. There is admin costs, payroll, etc. Any organization, charitable or otherwise, has costs that have to be paid somehow. If they can take hair that is only 8 inches long and sell it to recoup some of that cost, so be it.

As far as people getting upset cause they don`t know where there hair is... I don`t get it. If you donate your long hair to LoL and they make a wig, do they tell you which person is wearing it? no. Would you go visit the person if they did? Would you go and ask for visitation? No. What difference does it male.

I think we all need to grow up and realize that LoL does more good for these people than probably any other organization. So lighten up and let them do their good work.
McKee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2000 at 3:30pm
Reply to message: 10.3186.1
I agree wit Randy on dis one.
I mean I`m growin my hair out long so i can eventually donate it to LoL. I don`t care if my hair is going to be sold. At least some of the procedes will be going for a wig for a girl or teen. You people really need to take a chill pill and relax bout this lil situation!

"If everybody demanded peace instead of another television set, then there`d be peace"

~John W. Lennon
JenDoesHair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenDoesHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2000 at 4:02am
Locks of Love in addition to raising money with the hair raises awareness both about their group and the plight of cancer patients. The fact that we are talking about it proves that point. Instead of asking for money (wich is tax deduxctible, so we dont feel a great loss) they ask for hair. We all treasure it and what starts more conversation at the office or school? IT RAISES AWARENESS OF THEIR CAUSE AND FOR THE CHEMO PATIENTS. What other charitie does that? Its not like its a secret, they tell you about it ahead of time. My salon as a working relationship witht them and they choose hair to keep based on what their clients original hair was like. they try to match their starting color, texture, and length. So if you donate feet of hair its worth more to sell and few cancer patients will need it.
Jen :-)
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2000 at 4:27am
Reply to message: 10.3188.1
Randy, why do you suggest that "we all need to grow up" when your response seems to address only George B.`s post?

McKee, it`s interesting to note the difference between your posts of 3-Dec-2000 and 13-Dec-2000.

JenDoesHair, you say "Instead of asking for money (wich is tax deduxctible, so we dont feel a great loss) they ask for hair. We all treasure it..." So the conclusion I can draw from your statement is that people don`t feel a great loss about that which they treasure? Hmm, I thought human nature was just the opposite.
McKee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2000 at 2:38pm
Dave: Okie Doke, That probably wasn`t me on that first post. somebody else in my house musta done it!

~John W. Lennon
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2000 at 7:27pm
Reply to message: 10.3190.1
So will the real McKee please stand up? :-)

Are you the one who said "If I had long enough hair i would definitly give it to locks of love" or are you the one now growing out your hair with the intent of donating?

The other person in the house could get their own account, yes? Otherwise we might get confused about more such conflicting posts :-) (chuckle)
McKee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2000 at 11:43am
Reply to message: 10.3191.1
My cousin that was visiting me was on my s/n and she was looking through my favories and found hairboutique.com on one and was reading through all the other posts and decided to reply wit my name.

~John W. Lennon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic