Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It is our rights to know when someone is new

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It is our rights to know when someone is new
    Posted: December 15 2000 at 7:38pm
First of all I really have to thank Karen and Jeff for making such a web site because today I used the information that I have learned from years being a participant.
I have to say that I have never had a bad stylist in my life but today I really feel that we as clients should be asked or warned if someone is brand new.
We been having lots of blizzards and weather that drops to -40F or c same thing. Anyways I normally go to my favorite stylist which is across the city but today the roads were deadly. Very icy, hard to stay on the road and lots of accidents. Anyways I thought I would try a new stylist that was almost walking distance to me. I walked in and asked for a trim. A very simple trim that was suppose to be 1/2 to 1 inch only. I explained to the stylist that my hair is not all one lenght nor I want it one lenght. I want it shape like a half moon. Firstly she tortured me with her comb and the other stylist interrupted and said" we use a brush on long hair" so the stylist took this cheap brush and I said" there is no way you are going to use that thing on me " so she pulled out another brush. Then she started to brush my hair halfway down. I had to teach her how to brush long hair and she says" oh ya we learned that in school and I am sorry that I am not use to long hair". Okay fine, I thought everyone needs a fair chance and how can she make a mistake. Well egg on my face my friends. This girl started to cut and at first everything was fine and I knew that underneath my top hair my hair is finer and needed more trim so that was alright. I didn`t noticed anything and paid her and gave her a tip. Afterwards I went shopping just in case tomorrow morning we can`t get out of our homes because of tons of snow. Today a certain city had two feet of snow in Saskatchewan. Anyways I got home, took off my coat and looked in the mirror. I almost fell to the floor crying. This morning when I walked in the salon my hair was just past my waist , tonight it is just below my bra. I didn`t notice at the salon because my hair was wet at the time and hair looks longer but when I got home it was dry. I was horrifed and madder than hell. I race to the salon and demanded to talk to the owner which turn out to be this old guy which should retired from the business. I told him that I am not complaining about how she cut because the cut is great but I am complaining that she didn`t do what I wanted. WEll he gave me back my money right away and thought that would be the end of my opinions but no I said" you miss the whole point, it is not the money, you should have told me that she was brand new, that she didn`t know anything.....". He had to nerve to say" you still have long hair" Ya sure I still have long hair according to most people and I am now in style with hair that is all equal length. Wow!!!!!!!!!! Then he had the nerve to ask why I decided to go to his salon. Man some people don`t want business for sure.

I have had many many stylist in life and some are great and some were okay but all of them knew what an 1/2 inch to an inch was. To think that today it cost so much money to become a stylist and look what they are producing. Anyways hair does grow back and the only way for me to look at this is to start over and pamper my hair and get it back the way it was or better but meanwhile I really wish salon would warn us who is new.

DianefromCanada
dianefromcanada
Randy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2000 at 11:39pm
Reply to message: 10.3193.1
I just cant let this go. Being a stylist and a salon manager I understand your point. HOWEVER, from your bra strap to your waist should be at least 6 inches. There is no way that your hiar LOOKED 6 inches longer when it was wet than it did when it was dry.

Second, for you to say that you should have been told that she was "just out of school and didn`t know anything"... don`t be silly. Just because they are fresh out of school hardly means they don`t know anything. They simply don`t have much real world experience. There are stylists out there who have been working for 20 years who still cut too much off.

A suggestion in case this happens the next time you get a wild hair and decide to try a new salon, ask them to SHOW you how much they are going to cut off. Have them actually show you what they consider one inch. Then after they make a cut, have them show you the hair they cut. If it is more than one inch STOP THEM.

Second, after a cut most people look at the floor out of curiosity. They feel like they get their money`s worth if there is a lot of hair on the floor. (Dont ask me why, its just a thing that happens). Did you look at the floor after? Did you notice these 6 inch long stands of hair?

Also, did you not ask to look at your hair in the mirror after the cut? or did you just leave without looking? Would you buy a blouse and just put it on and wear it without ever looking at it? Seems a liittle odd to me that you don`t feel that you have any place in this situation.

I swear I am not trying to be argumentative or mean, I just feel that the client of today is more informed than ever before. you yourself said that you have been a board watcher for years. Why would you have not used the information you learned here to ask questions BEFORE you let someone new start cutting your hair?

Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 8:09am
If I was a woman with gorgeous long hair, I would never trust anyone with whom I had not been familiar.

That being said, I`ve heard from many, many women who have entered a hair salon only to leave disappointed, saying the stylist took too much off or cut it as she pleased. So please, salon manager, don`t say it doesn`t happen, because it does every day. The old line of "hair grows back" just doesn`t cut it. You pay good money for a haircut or even a trim and you should get what you ask for, not what they want to give you.

Hair salons that feel the need to schedule a woman`s next appointment six weeks or so from that day`s cut really are a turnoff for me. They lock you in to the next session whether you need a trim or not.

Ladies, let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 9:22am
Reply to message: 10.3195.1
Randy, it happened. I have wavy hair and when it is wet it looks a lot longer than when it is dry. That is why it was tough to have my hair looked so long for all these years and many many people read how I couldn`t wait for my hair to look longer and finally it happened and it reach just below my waist when it was dry and a bit longer when it was wet. I been taking hair vitamins for years. What I do know is that she admitted that she wasn`t use to brushing long hair but that she learned it in school yet she didn`t practice what she learned. Maybe at that point I should have walked out. But I being a client of using stylists for many years and I am 40 I really thought she would have known what 1 /2 inch to 1 inch is and yes she shown me what she was planning to cut. No there weren`t any long strands on the floor becuase Miss stylist took her time to go round and round my head taking bits of a time off. I serriously think that she didn`t plan it as she was very new and was trying hard to gain new clients. Not only she didn`t gain this client but money came out of her pocket plus I am telling everyone around me. PLus Randy it was the owner that introduce me to this stylist and it was the owner that dealt with me afterwards and he knew that I walked in with very long hair and didn`t argue and give me back my money. I told him when I walked in that I only wanted a small trim. He even went to the back and talk to her and when he came back he quickly gave me the money. He knew I wasn`t making up any stories.

And to end this Yes I bought many blouses without trying them on or looked in the mirror and have success. I know my colors and I am probably the fastest shoppest around. Bought my wedding dress within the first day 18 years ago also.

No Randy I was very clear in what I wanted in the situation. Yes Randy I used the information I knew for being a member from years from this web site .

I never understood how it could happen when I use to read others horror story on this web site but the reality is my understanding now had a price to it and yes it can easily happen without our knowledge. Like i said it wasn`t one clip and the end of it . OH no it was bits by bits of hair and she was concentrating so hard to make a good impression on me to gain me as a new client.

What I don`t understand is that normally salon see long hair people as fussy and I would have thought that he would have made sure that someoen that is very experrienced would have handle my trim. But his attitude is that I still have very long hair according to him and didn`t see the crime in it. The funny strange part he didn`t know how much hair can grow in one year and I knew that answer. You tell me why someone that is suppose to be such a professional didn`t know?
I, Randy have always talked pro for stylists. I have had many good styllist and because of the blizzard and the rough road which many Americans don`t understand how we can even survive or get around I should have stayed home but next week I have something very important to go to and I really thought that I would have been okay. Heck I even been to those cheap chains salons and they never did anything like that on me.

Maybe Randy you should take this information and make sure that your stylists understand the clients needs to make sure that you never lose anyone in your salons.
That is why I went back to talk to that manager. I didn`t want my money back. I wanted to tell him " hey bud you are going to lose lots of clients with a stylist that is so inexperienced".
Was it her inner desire to chop of my hair? We will never know. WAs it smart? Of course not. She wanted to gain a new client she screwed up big time.

dianefromcanada
dianefromcanada
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 10:15am
Reply to message: 10.3193.1
Hi Diane,
Minus 40, eh? Brrr!!! it`s just above freezing in the UK and we think`s that`s cold... Anyhow, I well understand how you had to seek out a different stylist. That, you see is the problem. From their point of view, they will always moan that "people expect us to be mind-readers". This may or may not be fair, but my point is that with your regular stylist, you got to know inside their mind and they got to know inside yours. It wasn`t mind-reading, but it would have felt like it. Then a new stylist comes along and the whole knowledge process has to start again. At least you got a great cut - not always the case with someone you don`t know! Have fun growing it back.
phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 11:04am
Reply to message: 10.3199.1
Hello PHil:

The funny part is I was very clear in what I expected from her and even told her details about how I wanted it. I was even asking her about her cuts during the process so it is not that I wasn`t doing my job or anything of the sorts.
Between you and me and whomever will has the same experience is I shouldn`t have to tell a stylist how to do her job. My job is to tell her or he what I want and make it clear. I am not the one that went to styling college and I expect them to abide to want I want as a client.

Yes I have a great cut and I started to take all my hair vitamins again this morning. Two years ago I came across this wonderful stylist that lives 2 1/2 hours away and she had very long hair twice in her life past her anke. Now her hair is about the middle of her back. She told me if I want to grow my hair very fast I should take biotin. So I have this ultra-sil, hairforce and biotin products that I am going to take faitfully everyday. Plus I went to Zellers and bought this cheap boar brush and I like it. It is an interesting material to work with. It does make my hair shiner and soft for whateveer reasons. I thought I would try this cheap thing before I go out and purchase a better quality one. It doesn`t go right through my hair becuase my hair is very thick so I have to use another brush first but I am impress.
The only reason I shared my story is because when I read other horror stories I couldn`t understand how it can happen without someone knowledge but it does and it happens so quickly.
My short hair friends say at least I still look great and they explain that at times they went in at a salon and cried and had to wait six months for something horrible to grow out and my own mother told me that one day she almost walked out a salon without any hair.
Yes it could have been worse. I do have a great cut, my hair is long enough to put in a ponytail, braid or a bun and who knows maybe the mist is true that when someone really cut back it grows faster. I hope so.
hugs to you Phil. Merry Christmas.
dianefromcanada
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 1:46pm
Diane, for me it would be as if someone has stolen two or three years of my life. I hope you will never get in such a situation again and you will let trims only make by people who are friends of your hair, maybe from a stylist who has own long hair. Stylists always have in view what the general opinion about styles would or should be and everyone of them can be a terrorist (or an amateur idiot) on you.

wolfgang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 2:50pm
Reply to message: 10.3203.1
Dear Wolfgang:

Well that is how I felt when I realized the mistake she made. My hair grows very very slow and it took forever to get to the waist length. Yes I learned something for sure that I will never trust a new stylist.
dianefromcanada
Jeffrey Hines View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffrey Hines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 3:51pm
Reply to message: 10.3204.1
quote:

dianefromcanada originally wrote:
Reply to message: 10.3203.1
Dear Wolfgang:

Well that is how I felt when I realized the mistake she made. My hair grows very very slow and it took forever to get to the waist length. Yes I learned something for sure that I will never trust a new stylist.

Diana,

At the Edwin Paul Salon in Grosse Point, Michigan, Edwin Paul has created an apprenticeship program. Stylists just out of school aren`t even allow to cut hair. They start out doing shampoos and other odd jobs, while they watch and learn for the experienced stylist that is their mentor. Only after six months on the job are they allowed to cut and style. Even then they are always under the watchfull eye of their mentor. Also Edwin Paul has instituted a fee schedule, so that as the stylist gains more and more experience they can charge a higher fee for their services. Thus, you can gauge the experience level of the stylist by the fee they charge.

Jeff.
Jeffrey Hines
HairBoutique.com
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2000 at 7:15pm
Reply to message: 10.3205.1
Diane, I`m just curious. Since the weather was bad, and your own hair stylist was too far away, why didn`t you just wait for an appointment with him (or her) later on ? Why was it so important that you get your hair cut immediately?

Jennifer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2000 at 10:19pm
Reply to message: 10.3215.1
Well Hello Jennifer!

Hope your hair is coming along just fine.

I couldn`t get away in time and next thing I knew time was running out and I really felt I needed a trim among others things immediately because I was having an important meeting that would be extremely important for my household and our future. I wanted to make this really good impression on this person. Sorry pretty personal but the bottom line is I normally don`t keep things to the last minutes and now I paid for it.
dianefromcanada
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic