Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The mullet style for men

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2001 at 3:52pm
Reply to message: 10.3479.1
Oh come on Jennifer even if this was a gorgeous man with a mullet style? Don`t some of of the movie stars still have those mullets? lol

OVer here the style was easily in the early 70`s. Every male I practically came across had a mullet. I always thought it was more they hated short hair and they weren`t too brave in growing it so just maybe they could hide it with a mullet.

NEvermind the other day on the news they talked about the hockey style. I am trying to figure out what the heck that looks like and I should kknow being a Canadian. lol
dianefromcanada
kat_02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat_02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2001 at 10:19am
Reply to message: 10.3487.1
I worked in a grocery store for a couple of the months this summer, and noticed a trend. The men with mullets were usually the same ones who wore ripped jeans and t-shirts with the waists and sleeves cut off. They generally spoke with a really thick country accent, had poor English, and it took them 20 minutes to count their change. *sighs* It`s made me extremely leary of men with mullets. Plus, I don`t think it`s very attractive or flattering on anyone, especially not women. It makes your face look either too square or too round, the bottom of your face really big and the top really small. And it makes your ears look really big too.
- kat
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2001 at 1:54pm
Here in the south we just call `em... white trash!
Nancy999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2001 at 12:00pm
I hated them back in the 70`s and hate them today. It is a really unattractive look and I only have seen it on Jerry Springer lately, thank God! On woman it makes their faces look fat.
D Sanchez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2001 at 12:33pm
Reply to message: 10.3320.1
There is no better entertainment than to Mullet hunt. Greatest sport since football.

URL: http://www.MulletLovers.com
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2001 at 10:02am
popolol, all these replies over one hairstyle. Why`s it called the "El Camino" (that`s one cool car).
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2001 at 9:31am
I think b/c that`s how the guys that drove the "El Caminos" cut their hair.
I don`t remember where I heard that though.
~*~*Lisa*~*~
Iceman4757 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman4757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2001 at 10:55pm
Ok after reading everything that people have to say I think I am going to add my few (cant afford much) cents worth.

What I am getting out of this is that people are being sterotyped as hillybilly, white trash or rednecks if they have a mullet haircut. For gods sake, that was the 80`s and some people are just stuck in a time warp. I would much rather have a mullet haircut then the good old faithful bowlcuts that the old man gave, especially on his bad days (ouch)

Whats to say that a haircut makes the person? Have you seen bald women walking down your street and what have you thought about her? That she is gay? Did it ever occurr that maybe she has cancer. Or what about the guy that shaves his head bald...does that automatically make him a skin head? Or the guy with long hair, is he a hippie, a druggie? These were all hairstyles of the past.

So if I get my long hair cut into a mullet, this automatically makes me a bad person?

The mullet wont come back is my personal opinion, so I dont think anyone has anything to worry about.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2001 at 5:54pm
Reply to message: 10.3564.1
Iceman I totally agree with you about hairstyles. Now for the mullet won`t come back it might you know because the whole reason I started this thread is because it is getting popular in france. NOw if it is popular in france usually it takes about 1 or 2 years to reach Canada so maybe in two years............. Then it might reach the USA lol
dianefromcanada
Iceman4757 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman4757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2001 at 8:06am
Reply to message: 10.3565.1
You know being around the Christmas holidays and me always being a late shopper , I thought what the heck, Im going to do some mullet hunting here in Michigan just to see what I can find. Here are my results from one evening of going to the mall and several department stores:

There are more women with mullets then there are men. I saw in just 2 hours of shopping at the mall about 15 women with some type of mullet haircut. Some looked pretty good, some looked like a hack job done on a poor helpless barbie doll.

I also noticed that alot of the BIG 80`s hair was there to....does this mean its going to make a come back as well?? LOL...Should I buy stock in Auqanet lol.

As for guys mullets, I think maybe I saw about 4 or 5 guys within the 2 hours that I saw the women.Id say the guys ages ranged from a late teen to a guy in his 40`s.

In my summary, I have noticed alot more mullets around, Im not sure if its because I never really payed much attention or if the style is coming back. Is anyone else spoting more mullets across the world? Could this be the start of

MULLET MANIA???!!!!!

phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2001 at 5:22pm
Reply to message: 10.3566.1
Look, the Mullet is one reason that the 70s (cos they did start then) are called "The Decade that Taste Forgot". Also, who`d have a hairstyle named after a fish.??......."Yes, barber, i`d like a nice halibut please.." ;)
phil
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2001 at 5:22pm
phil
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2002 at 7:35am
Good god man let the frikkin mullet die!!! That with the exception of a bowl cut the mullet has to be one of the worst haircuts ever. As for Billy Ray Cyrus, Yes he had a mullet and I`m sure many white males have don`t deny it. Then he cut it....but he grew it back....ACK!!! someone should slam Billy Ray Cyrus`s head in a car door.

What`s worse than a mullet on a man is a mullet on a woman. DON`T DO IT!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2002 at 9:36pm
Oh the bowl cut! lol that reminds me when my sister`s relatives from Germany made a remark that her son wasn`t up to date because he should have a certain style and the style was very similar to the bowl cut. That was about 7 years ago. lol
Personally the mullet style on certain men don`t bother me one bit.
dianefromcanada
Pete View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2003 at 7:55pm
With all the negativity in the world, it's very sad to know that we as "educated adults" spend time and energy on expressing our thoughts on a hairstyle. As for Jennifers comment of people with mullets being uneducated. Well, i have 2 degrees (management and networking), and i also have a mullet. I manage seven $1,000,000 servers for an international company. The reason for my having this style is based simply on the fact that i like having long hair, but am unable to get the front/top to grow right. Please people, focus on the true issues at hand...abused women/children, homeless, and let's not forget all the men and women that gave thier lives protecting your counrty and freedom. God bless the POW/MIA's.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2003 at 3:29am
Well said Pete.

Being a teen in the eighties and dong hair in the eighties, who did not have a mullet. Every american male had it at the time.
Being a history buff, the one thing that gets me upset is Hollywood cannot depict it correctly. There is a new show in the fall TV line-up called "The Mullets". They show these guys with sideburns. They showed a guy in "Sweet Home Alabama" with a mullet and sideburns and "Joe Dirt" had sideburns. NO Self respecting mullet wearing guy in the eighties wore sideburns. That was a big NO-NO. You cut the sideburns off at the top of the ear. Sometimes above the earline. Living in the south, there are alot of mullets here and none of them wear side burns.

Personally, I do not like the mullet, nor do I have any mullet clients. But in the eighties they were called "by-levels". I am curious where the name mullet came from or how it got started.

(just my two cents worth)
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2003 at 7:02am
Hi Lili....Good to read you.

I've been in the biz for years and I had never heard the term MUllet until last year...Hmmm what is that about?

Was it a regional term?

I knew it as a Bi-level, also.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2003 at 10:06pm
Someone told me the term "Mullet" was started over in Britian.
I really don't like mullet hairstyles on men or women. You rarely see them these days, thankfully.

I like your new artsy looking photo by your name Sophie!
tina
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2003 at 10:28pm
Hey Pete. This entire website is for people to discuss hairstyles and fashion. That's the purpose of it. That's why they started it.

If your so worried about poverty, war, pollution, saving the world, whatever, why are you writing in on this supposedly trivial forum that is called HAIR TALK.
I don't visit HAIR TALK to solve the problems of the world Pete. In fact I don't even care to solve the problems of the world because I couldn't even if I wanted to.
I visit this forum to relax, have a chat with people about hairstyles, fashion, and other such "trivial" things.

If you want to save the world Pete, why don't you go on to this website Pete; www.I'm-a-saint-I-want-to-save-the-world.com.
All the saints go on that website Pete!!!. Martin Sheen, Meryl Streep, Tim Robbins, Bono, they're all there saving the world!!!!

Actually I feel lucky if I can take care of myself, my daughter, and my family and friends I'm closest to, much less save the world.
If someone wants to help me out a little though I wouldn't object. You can send me money at www.tina-needs-your-money.com.
Thanks!
tina
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2003 at 6:02am
As to why the media doesn't portray mullets accurately, it's because they're wigs, I bet. If a wig doesn't have sideburns, or long hair hanging over the ears, the person's real sideburns will show.
More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic