Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The mullet style for men

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The mullet style for men
    Posted: April 12 2001 at 10:19am
Last night on the news they were asking people on the street what they thought about the mullet hairstyle for men and they were shock by the responses. Some women will not go out with men if they have the mullet hairstyle. They received a lot of negative responses and the news people couldn`t believe that such a hairstyle would make people react so strongly about it.
They even interviewed a fashion expert in France and he said that he hated it and now it has become a style when it was never real style in the past. Supposely young men are going wild for this look. Supposely they also have a web site for men who wear the mullet look.
I remember when I was young my older cousin had that look. Very short in the front and long at the back. There are diffirent versions of it. The general attitude over here is that people don`t want to see it again.
dianefromcanada
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2001 at 8:08pm
Reply to message: 10.3320.1
I don`t think you`ll have to worry too much about it, since most young people i know tend to associate it with the out-of-style factory (GM!!) workers who continue to sport the look.

And three words: Billy Ray Cyrus.

I"ve been told by many sources that the style is trying to come back, but people honestly aren`t really that stupid that they would intentionally decrease their attractiveness just to look trendy, are they?

Then again.. those horrid early 80s big sunglasses are sort of catching on..
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2001 at 6:42am
Hello Diane,

I have seen some pictures with the mullet hairstyle on the-light.com "men`s hyperboard" and I think it doesn`t look so bad. I prefer it to have long hair all around and this is something I really can defend for myself, but maybe it is better if men take care of their own hairstyles as to try to influence the women to cut it short, as happened in the 20th of the last century and often in todays fashion areas. I remember these Chinese hairstyles with a long braid and shaved hair at the front and site parts of the head, maybe caused by baldness problems of the monarches. I think the baldness problem is a serious problem that makes men often cut their hair very short so it is difficult to evolve hairstyles for men with longer hair that will generally be accepted. The prospect I got about Regaine told me that more then 50% of the men at 40+ have problems with MPB, and also 30% of the women have problems with thinning hair or hair loss.

wolfgang
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2001 at 1:21pm
I agree with those who say the mullet has to go. It`s nasty.
~*~*Lisa*~*~
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2001 at 1:34pm
Another vote against. The mullet just spells one thing- SAAAAAAD !!
phil
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2001 at 12:47pm
Yes, I agree, the mullet is not the most attractive stlye around. I don`t remember, but it never seems
to have been a major fashion statement, rather more of an escape from conventionality for hockey
players. I might as well note, however, that while I don`t have a mullet cut, my own hair needs some
trimming in the back. I started cutting my own hair, cause I can`t tolerate barbers (yess, my great
mentor, Forrest Gump, would disapprove). I cut it in steps, and the back being the hardest, is now
awaiting. I hope to do it tonight.
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2001 at 7:56pm
I had to laugh about this. I was trying to tell my boyfriend what the mullet looked like. Then it struck me! His Mom has a mullet type of do. However, she keeps the back kinda short so it`s not that bad....
~*~*Lisa*~*~
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2001 at 4:48pm
It`s election time in the UK (yawn), but the biggest news of the week was when deputy prime minister Prescott threw a punch at a protester. Word had it that it wasn`t the egg in the face that provoked him, but the protester`s hairstyle - you`ve guessed it, the dreaded mullet!
There`s a picture which is a bit small but you can just make it out:
phil
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2001 at 7:58pm
The mullet is worn by rebel flag toting, fat, old, rednecky men. It is so disgusting! It is especially bad when women have it. I say shave your head before you wear a mullet.

Have you ever noticed that the people who wear this style have been wearing it for at least the last 25 years?
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2001 at 11:58am
Reply to message: 10.3375.1
quote:
demodoll originally wrote: The mullet is worn by rebel flag toting, fat, old, rednecky men. It is so disgusting! It is especially bad when women have it. I say shave your head before you wear a mullet.

Have you ever noticed that the people who wear this style have been wearing it for at least the last 25 years?

I saw a guy 2 days ago who had a mullet that wasn`t so bad, because it was long enough in
the front. But Demodoll, you confuse me. Aren`t rednecks the exact opposite of rebels? And
what`s wrong with having the same hairstyle for 25 years? It means they`re doing what they
want (perhaps to please their wives, which can be good to keep a relationship alive), not
being slaves to fashion. The mullet is not a pretty hairstyle (yes, I agree, Demodoll, it`s
hideous on women), but the present fashion for men (spikes and gell-made mats) are nasty!

What`s the mullet named after, anyway? A fish, or something?
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2001 at 6:00pm
Duke, you must not be from the south. The rebel flag is the Confederate flag (or some rendition of it), proudly emblazoned on the back windshields of pickup trucks with oversize tires. Or waving from the front porch of the trailer. Or stuck to the notebook of the redneck kid at school. Or on a t-shirt (I could go on and on). For some reason it has become the mascot for southern rednecks who often seem to sport the mullet hairstyle. My daughter, who helped me word that post, is especially turned off by the mullet and since she attends a high school that is 90% redneck, she has inside knowledge. And anyone over 18 is "old" to her. Anyway, I agree that the gelled look is way past being over. Yuck! And a mullet is a fish.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2001 at 11:30pm
Reply to message: 10.3384.1
Thank you everyone for your wonderful contributions. It was lots of fun reading your comments.
Amazing enough for something that people haven`t consider it a style it seem to keep hanging on. Maybe it will be consider a classic one day? lol
dianefromcanada
polop lopol View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polop lopol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2001 at 8:28am
Famous mullet-wearers:

-Kyle Reese from The Terminator
-Martin Riggs from Lethal Weapon
-MacGyver

Can you really say that any of these stars looked bad in their mullets?
They were all from the 80`s, but if you saw them on the street today would you laugh in their faces? I think not, because they are all super-cool film & TV action heroes who would kick your ass.
I think this clearly disproves the argument that all mullets are nasty and must go. Hah!
Kimberlina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberlina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2001 at 11:17pm
Firstly, how often do people laugh in people`s faces about anything that they do... for instance, daggy clothes, smelling weird etc? Never. You laugh behind their back. Might sound bitchy, but everyone does it, even if it`s just in their mind.

I think the mullet sucks. Personally in Australia, I associate with disgusting 40 slobs who hang out in pubs and drink beer. It`s associated with the stubbies (short shorts for workmen) and a singlet.

What`s even worse is people who still dress like they are from the 80s (while this might not have been so bad os, here it was terrible.... black or light blue jeans, a singlet and ever heard of a flanny? It`s a flanalette shirt...... and the women wore this too!) and then cut their children`s hair with a mullet cut! It`s horrible.

It`s definitely a pet hate for me. And, polop lopol, I never ever found MacGyver the least bit appealing.
Thanks for reading my whinge!
=)
Kim.
From the one and only Kimberlina from Australia!
glitterjess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glitterjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2001 at 3:22pm
I feel bad for children with mullets, on Saturday I saw a little boy no more than 1 or 2 wearing one. He was cute but the style was bad! I just wanted to run over there and cut it all off... poor kid!

Hey what about little rat tails? Where they just leave a little long piece of hair in the back? *Shudders*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2001 at 10:24pm
Reply to message: 10.3470.1
Did everyone see the movie Joe Dirt? Mullet hairstyle lol
dianefromcanada
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2001 at 5:38pm
Reply to message: 10.3472.1
Didn`t see that movie, but I have seen a German site with all kinds of mad mullets, even one on a girl! Check it out...
phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2001 at 10:28pm
Reply to message: 10.3475.1
lol oh gee that is bad lol Thanks
dianefromcanada
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2001 at 9:23pm
I really do not mean to be cruel, but have you honestly ever seen an intelligent, educated, sophisticated man or woman with the style? Me, neither! The woman at a gas station that I frequent wears one. And the men I`ve seen that sport them seem to have the IQ of mosquitos. Hey, long or short. Choose! I hesitate to say that I`m old enough to remember when they were in style in the late 1980s (before the style had a name). I detested them now, and I detest them now!

I`m married, but if I weren`t, I seriously doubt I`d ever consider dating a man wearing a mullet. The style simply says, "I`m dumb, uneducated, and don`t know the difference between "who`s" and "whose."

Although I tend to prefer super short hair on men, I would have no trouble dating a guy with long hair. However, I have my standards. No mullets!!

Jennifer
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2001 at 7:06pm
Reply to message: 10.3479.1
Have to agree with you there on every count except one; who mentioned the 80`s? In the UK the style dated back to the Mid 70s - I personally think David Bowie was to blame with his Ziggy Stardust cut in `73. What followed was inexpert variations on that, which developed, tragically, into the "mullet".
phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic