Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My mother & my pig-tails - HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanessa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My mother & my pig-tails - HELP!
    Posted: October 16 2001 at 2:12pm
I am a 36 year old mother of 2 lovely girls aged 8 and 6. Both my girls have long hair and I like them to wear their hair in pig-tails (or “bunches” as we call them in England). We are currently living with my mother until our new house is built, my husband works away during weekdays. My mother has been a real gem, she’s helped us both financially, practically and emotionally whilst we have been trying to build our new home. Whilst I appreciate all her help, my mother is causing me a problem. The problem I have is that my mother is influencing me over the way I wear my hair. About a month ago she arranged for a photographer to visit and take family portraits, we thought it would be nice if we all looked uniformed so myself and my daughters all wore matching dresses, my daughters had their hair in bunches. My mother, said that we all looked very pretty but suggested that just for a bit of fun it would be nice if we had a picture of me and the girls, with my hair in bunches too! Not seeing that any harm could come from this I agreed to let my mother put my hair in bunches. I felt a little silly wearing my hair in bunches (my mother made sure they were high on my head and tied with ribbons just like the girls) but my mother and the photographer thought it looked nice and my husband thought I looked cute. After the photographer had left, we decided to go out to lunch and my mother suggested that it would be nice if we kept our fancy frocks on and suggested that I keep my hair in bunches. I didn’t want to, but by this time the girls had decided that it was fun for mummy to wear her hair in bunches too and my husband kept telling me not to be so boring so I lightened up and went to the pub looking very much the little girl. Unfortunately it didn’t end there because the next morning my mother put the girls hair in bunches and when she had finished she suggested to the girls that mummy have her hair in bunches too. Of course, the girls got excited and giggly and foolishly I submitted. I ended up walking the girls to school with my hair in bunches tied high up on my head just like all the other little girls. I really did feel silly and this was made worse when my mother insisted that we went shopping and got all upset when I suggested that I take my hair out of bunches so guess what? Like a fool a followed her around the shops, with my hair in bunches, just like I did when I was a little girl. Unfortunately these 2 events have set a president and every day for the last month my mother has put my hair in bunches, it’s got to the stage that I don’t even have to be encouraged, I just sit down with my daughters and wait my turn! I have tried on numerous accounts to put an end to it, but every time my mother gets upset and reminds me of all she is doing for us. My husband is no help, he just says that I look cute and that I’m making a fuss over nothing. The final straw came last night when my mother who is a retired hairdresser offered to trim my daughters hair. I thought this was a good idea and as we’re needing to save money I gladly agreed. I should have known better because once the girls hair had been cut (their fringes(bangs) were cut too short in my opinion), my mother then suggested it was my turn! I protested strongly, we ended up having an almighty row and my mother became all upset. I of course felt all guilty and in a fit of peak thrust the scissors in her hand and said for god’s sake just cut it. My mother asked how much I wanted off and out of pure frustration I shouted at her to just do what she wanted and to get it over with. My mother rose to this challenge and proceeded to “tidy me up”, first she cut my fringe to the same length as the girls and then she decided to cut the back up from just below my shoulders to about 2 inches below my collar. Once my hair was cut she put it back into bunches, but this time, because my hair was so short, my bunches resembled those of a very young girl and this is worsened because my fringe is so very short. If I didn’t look like a little girl before, I certainly do now! My mother is really pleased with her conquest, but I feel really gutted. I really do want to put a stop to it, but my mother has been really helpful and we’ve only got 3 weeks to go before we move into our new home. I’m not sure whether to have a major row, or get my hair cut short, or as we’ve only got 3 weeks to go, which isn’t a great deal of time, keep my mother and daughters happy by continuing the morning ritual of mummy and daughters having Gran “make them look pretty”. If you could see me now, you’d see that I’m wearing my hair in the cutest pig-tails, but I’m a 36 year old mother of 2, please help I really need some advice!
Sian View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2001 at 8:18am
Hi Vanessa,
I read your message with interest and can understand your predicament. Although you probably feel you`ve backed yourself in a corner, with a little imagination I`m sure you can ease the situation. Initially to defuse the situation, rather than wait for your mother to suggest she does your hair, why not ask her to do your hair for you, that way you will have taken controll and you will be wearing your hair in the way you`ve asked rather than in the way you`ve been told. Although your mother seems to be controlling you, it could be that she just enjoys having her "girls" living with her and that she wants to make the most of it whilst you are with her. If you only have 3 weeks to go, why don`t you ask your mother to do yours and the girls hair differently for a couple of mornings (just to maintain a little control and sanity) but on the other days allow your mother to indulge a little. It`s only for 3 weeks and if your fringe is as short as you claim, you may as well go the whole hog and have the pigtails to go with it. After all, your daughters fringes are too short too and they obviously think it`s fun/nice that mummy looks the same, so why not show them that you are all in the same boat and you`ll probably make your daughters feel better about their own "little girl fringes" if you accept that yours and therefore theirs is nice and looks good with your pigtails! With regard to cutting your hair, I wouldn`t do that just yet as your mother would probably see that as you doing it to upset her and your daughters, being used to having the same hairstyle as mummy, might want theirs cut too! However, once you are in your new home, you will probably still have the problem of your daughters wanting Mummy to wear bunches too and also your mother perhaps influencing during visits. This may be a good time to finally sort the problem and opt for a short haircut. You could tell your daughters that it was nice that they had pigtails just like the other little girls, but it was time for Mummy to have her hair cut as she wanted short hair so that she would look like some of the other mummy`s. You could tell your mother that you wanted a practical short cut as you wanted to make life as easy as possible whilst you were sorting your new home. This way everybody wins, your Mum stays happy by having her girls looking cute in their bunches for the next 3 weeks, your daughters are happy because it`s fun for mummy to have bunches too and they can draw comfort from the fact that mummy`s fringe is too short too. Finally you benefit, because you`ve kept you mother happy, you`ve got some nice pictures to look back on (when your girls are all grown up it`s going to be nice to look back to the time when you all looked cute with your cute bunches, short fringes and pretty matching frocks) and once you`re in your new home you get to say goodbye to your bunches by having a nice short haircut that`s practical for the work ahead and will make you look and feel like a mum again. Good luck, enjoy the final 3 weeks of feeling like a little girl with your bunches and look forward to looking like a mum again when you have your hair cut up short.
Sian

Why not get up earlier than you normally do and do your daughter`s hair before your mother gets to them. That way you
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2001 at 6:20pm
Reply to message: 10.3491.1
Dear Venessa:

I truely understand how you feel. It seems that your mother is reliving her past but she is taking advantage of you and you need to take a firm stand on it. It is very kind of her to help her child but it doesn`t give her any rights to do this. You been a good sport about it all.
YOu could always turn the table around and challenge grandma to walk around liking like a girl. It takes a lot of strenght to say no to our parents at times.
dianefromcanada
alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2001 at 5:10pm
It sounds like you arent too much against this as you would have put an end to it by now. It wont hurt you to honor your Mother for another few weeks, by now Im sure most people are used to seeing your hair this way. BTW, Ive seen a few Mature women fix their hair in pig-tails, and I think it looks cute.
Vanessa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2001 at 2:28pm
Well we`ve moved into our new home and my pigtail problem is over. I decided the best option was to honor my mother`s wishes and have happily let her put my hair in bunches each morning. On the night before we moved out, I asked mum to cut my hair as I wanted it short and practical while I was setting up the new home. She said that she would, but that it would be nice for her "girls" to dress up one more time before we moved out. This brought us back to where we started with me and my daughters all dressed in our pretty pinny`s, with our hair in bunches secured with matching ribbons. This time I didn`t feel so silly and it actually felt quite nice, it was nice to feel all girlie again, just for one night. Once we`d put the girls to bed, mum offered to cut my hair. She sat me down, took my hair out of bunches and once we`d decided what style I wanted she started cutting. I decided not to go too drastic, so she gave me a short paigeboy style that I really love. It`s strange, because although I hated my pigtails at first, I grew to like them and I`m really glad that I had the experience. Now that my hair is short, in a funny kind of way I miss having the choice to put my hair up, I guess in hindsight that it would have been nice to have been able to wear my hair in bunches occasionally, when I want them, but now I can`t!
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2001 at 7:51pm
Reply to message: 10.3516.1
quote:

Vanessa originally wrote:
Well we've moved into our new home and my pigtail problem is over. I decided the best option was to honor my mother's wishes and have happily let her put my hair in bunches each morning. On the night before we moved out, I asked mum to cut my hair as I wanted it short and practical while I was setting up the new home. She said that she would, but that it would be nice for her "girls" to dress up one more time before we moved out. This brought us back to where we started with me and my daughters all dressed in our pretty pinny's, with our hair in bunches secured with matching ribbons. This time I didn't feel so silly and it actually felt quite nice, it was nice to feel all girlie again, just for one night. Once we'd put the girls to bed, mum offered to cut my hair. She sat me down, took my hair out of bunches and once we'd decided what style I wanted she started cutting. I decided not to go too drastic, so she gave me a short paigeboy style that I really love. It's strange, because although I hated my pigtails at first, I grew to like them and I'm really glad that I had the experience. Now that my hair is short, in a funny kind of way I miss having the choice to put my hair up, I guess in hindsight that it would have been nice to have been able to wear my hair in bunches occasionally, when I want them, but now I can't!

im 17 and think it must have been so embarrassing for you. last year my mom wanted me to wear my hair up for a big dance. i didn`t want to but we agreed to wear my hair in spiral curls. she wanted a bunch of spiral curls. i`ll write more later. i have to go.
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2001 at 8:27pm
Reply to message: 10.3517.1
quote:

Rachel A originally wrote:
quote:

Well we've moved into our new home and my pigtail problem is over. I decided the best option was to honor my mother's wishes and have happily let her put my hair in bunches each morning. On the night before we moved out, I asked mum to cut my hair as I wanted it short and practical while I was setting up the new home. She said that she would, but that it would be nice for her "girls" to dress up one more time before we moved out. This brought us back to where we started with me and my daughters all dressed in our pretty pinny's, with our hair in bunches secured with matching ribbons. This time I didn't feel so silly and it actually felt quite nice, it was nice to feel all girlie again, just for one night. Once we'd put the girls to bed, mum offered to cut my hair. She sat me down, took my hair out of bunches and once we'd decided what style I wanted she started cutting. I decided not to go too drastic, so she gave me a short paigeboy style that I really love. It's strange, because although I hated my pigtails at first, I grew to like them and I'm really glad that I had the experience. Now that my hair is short, in a funny kind of way I miss having the choice to put my hair up, I guess in hindsight that it would have been nice to have been able to wear my hair in bunches occasionally, when I want them, but now I can't!

im 17 and think it must have been so embarrassing for you. last year my mom wanted me to wear my hair up for a big dance. i didn't want to but we agreed to wear my hair in spiral curls. she wanted a bunch of spiral curls. i'll write more later. i have to go.

my mother began to want me to wear my hair in spirals several days a week. she would fix my hair sun day and monday. then it was everytme we had a family event she would put in the spirals. finally one day she told me she thought it would be nice to get a spiral perm. my hair is between bra strap and shoulder length. it is straight ant medium thick. she was relentless every day at supper , even my girl friends started suggesting that i get a spiral perm. i told her i didnt want a perm that iwould try another hairstyle all she had to do was help me choose one but she wanted me to got a spiral. ok finall y on day the hairdresser called and talked to me. then one saturday i gave in .it took forever. i cried for 3 days. after a couple weeks it looked better and i got more comfortable with it. she now wants me to get another one and before prom in april of 2002 get a third one. she helps me put in the conditioner and makes sure it always looks nice. but i miss my straight hair. the way she has it i will have 3 perms in 12 months.
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2001 at 11:14pm
Reply to message: 10.3518.1
quote:

rachel a originally wrote:
Reply to message: 10.3517.1
quote:

Rachel A originally wrote:
quote:

im 17 and think it must have been so embarrassing for you. last year my mom wanted me to wear my hair up for a big dance. i didn't want to but we agreed to wear my hair in spiral curls. she wanted a bunch of spiral curls. i'll write more later. i have to go.

my mother began to want me to wear my hair in spirals several days a week. she would fix my hair sun day and monday. then it was everytme we had a family event she would put in the spirals. finally one day she told me she thought it would be nice to get a spiral perm. my hair is between bra strap and shoulder length. it is straight ant medium thick. she was relentless every day at supper , even my girl friends started suggesting that i get a spiral perm. i told her i didnt want a perm that iwould try another hairstyle all she had to do was help me choose one but she wanted me to got a spiral. ok finall y on day the hairdresser called and talked to me. then one saturday i gave in .it took forever. i cried for 3 days. after a couple weeks it looked better and i got more comfortable with it. she now wants me to get another one and before prom in april of 2002 get a third one. she helps me put in the conditioner and makes sure it always looks nice. but i miss my straight hair. the way she has it i will have 3 perms in 12 months.

i hope to be able to talk her out of it. i would be willing to let her roll my hair for her beloved spirals. i would like to just have the option of wearing my hair straight sometimes. a perm is so well its so permanent. my hair on top is straight now with 5 months of growth. i enjoy the way it looks all shiny and straight. and my perm is taking as much time and maintenance as it grows out. ive already trimmed a few inches off the ends to keep it nice looking. any thoughts on dealing with my mother?
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2001 at 5:33pm
Hi Vanessa. I read your piece with interest, it has parallels with the thread below it called "advice". Just what is it with parents who think they can dictate their children`s hairstyles - when they`re THIRTY SIX?? My dad made me wear mine unfashionably short up to the age of 15 until one day I just put my foot down and said NO. It`s a power thing you see, and silly pig-tails are a visible symbol of your mother`s continuing power over you. She must love it! Sorry to sound cynical but I`ve been there.
phil
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2001 at 10:25pm
Reply to message: 10.3524.1
i don`t think ur being cynical phil. my mom wants to control everything. she even had my friends telling me how pretty i would be with a perm. she wounld not stop until i got the perm. now i want to go straight again but she wants another spiral perm put in my hair.
mother even has to help me apply conditioner and fix the curls just so before i leave the house. if i am going out with my friends they have to wait until she seperates are adjust pieces of hair that may not be sitting just right. its so embarrasing....and my friends think my mom is so sweet the way she checks myhair and makeup before i leave the house. i`m only 17 and can`t imagine what vanessa must have felt for 4 weeks.
StA Hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StA Hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2002 at 4:16am
I have to say, reading through this whole thread, that there is a lot of VERY overbearing mothers around. Sure I think it`s nice that they want to bond with their daughters by helping the way they look.

BUT

There must be a point where this will stop - rachel a at 17, no offence but you should try and tell your mother STRAIGHT that she cannot control you anymore. My mother was like this with me till I was about 14 or 15 - then I just started getting my crew cut ever 4 weeks (I`m a guy btw) and from then on she just took the hint and stopped. Don`t get me wrong, I love her really, but there comes a point where you MUST have independance.

And lastly - Vanessa, I agree that it must have been embarassing going out in public looking just like ur kids - but my 22 year old partner wears them all the time (she`s growing out an ear length bob) and I think they`re VERY VERY sexy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic