Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

getting your hair done is expensive!!! Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 9:44pm
What LaliBeach Said.
Gurus student View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gurus student Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 12:52am
Well...sometimes people eat at restaurants other than McDonalds. McDonald's has their place. So does the retaurant at the Ritz Carleton. And so does every place else in between. I know a very old and famous Italian restaurant near me. The Caesar salad is almost 15 dollars. Some people say it isn't worth it. Others say it is their favorite in the world.

Ultimately *YOU* have the power to decide what "lengths" (pardon the pun) you want to go for your hair.
Keep hope alive!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 8:42am
Something Lilibeach sparked my curiousity: malpractice insurance for stylists. I'm curious, would any of the stylists here be willing to share with us situations where that insurance came in handy? It's scary to think that people would sue someone over their hair but no doubt in our lovely litigious land that probably happens! Thoughts?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 8:56pm
Hi Lyris;

I attended a business seminar a few years ago and the lawyer teaching one of the classes said he had researched how many hair salons had been sued, I don't think this included small claims, I'm not sure. He only came up with one in twenty years, in the whole State of Michigan, and that was for a slip and fall.

That was a while a go, I don't know what the current stats are. I do know that professional liability (this does not include premises injury...i.e.; slip and fall) is relatively cheap mine is only $80 per year. This tells me that there's not a whole lot of stylists' being sued, or you can bet that the insurance would be much higher.

On a personal note, 19 years of doing hair and never sued....Thank God. I have made my share of mistakes. I've always taken responsibility for them. Honesty really works especially if you fix it and always try to send them out happy.

Once, I had an old color teacher say; "The best Stylist isn't a Stylist who never makes mistakes. The best Stylist is a Stylist who can fix their mistakes."

I love the work and I'm a tweeker.
I try not to make mistakes I can't fix.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 10:43pm
I personally have never been sued but I know stylist who have (quite a few of them). Its not that they "ruined" their hair but what the client thought to be a bad job. As everyone knows, people will sue over anything, therefore I would rather be safe than sorry. These people who are too quick to sue usually does not go back to ask for a "fix" or even call to complain. They just head straight to the lawyer hoping to get money for nothing.

Sad but true, the society we live in today.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 8:10pm
Suing over a hairstyle! With so many much more serious problems that is just absurd!

No haircut could be that bad to actually sue someone over.

And doesn't the person going to the hairdresser have some responsibility to check out a salon before they go there!

No wonder America is considered a lawsuit crazy country with too many lawyers and too many trivial lawsuits!
Lady Maria
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2003 at 10:03pm
It is just a matter of what the market will bear. If you live in a big city and go to high end stylists you will pay much more than $100 for a haircut. When I used to live in Atlanta I went to Siggers and had one of the owners cut my hair. Her charge was more than $100 but her haircuts were superior and there were people flying in from all over the country just to have that lady cut their hair. Her very first customer (she has been doing hair for almost 40 years) was there one time when I was there and she had come from Nashville. Granted, these were not poor people but I guarantee that the owners of that salon are millionaires. I am in a small town now and am happy to pay $50 for a haircut and $125 for highlights. My stylist came here from Miami but he is very good and I can go longer between cuts now. I can afford this right now (thankfully!). I have NEVER gotten a decent haircut from the cheap, cookie cutter salons.

I find it hard to believe that a hard working stylist who works full time can't make a good living anywhere. One thing people will always need is someone to take care of their hair. They earn their money, they provide a good service, and they are professionals. I think the stigma of "just doing hair" is long gone. These people are regulated, educated, hard-working, and very necessary.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2003 at 10:06pm
As far as suing goes, just watch those "judge" shows on TV. I have seen several hair stylists being sued from everything from too short (girl made money using her looks) to bad extensions, to a supposedly ruined wedding due to bad hairstyle. I would think that this is a good indicator of what is going on in the court rooms all over the country. We are lawsuit crazy in this country. I would have insurance too. Teachers and nurses have to have it.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 12:32pm
Personally, I feel that most salon prices are fair. You're paying for the specialized knowledge, expertise, education and talent of the stylist. You are paying for the facility (rent or mortgage, utilities, water, etc.) and of course, in most cases, superior products (e.g., salon color, shampoo, etc.) You may also use the professional's consultation and design services. All of the above are built into the price of services, and rightly so.

Now, I do my own color at home, but only because I am doing deposit-only color and my stylist friend purchases Redken for me at beauty supply. If I wanted any degree of lift, I would definitely do it in the salon.

I have a great deal of respect for these professionals, and I don't think it's fair to complain about salon fees. Unless they are utterly ridiculously high, as some are in NYC. For those, I simply pretend they don't exist.

By the way, I just got a gorgeous haircut for $12. Why so cheap, even with my long hair? I walked into the salon with just-washed & conditioned hair, so I only needed a wet-down. I asked my stylist (the one who has been cutting my hair for years) not to blow-dry. There are ways to save if you want to.
[/url]

Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 5:42pm
You get what you pay for.
Me, I like my stylist and to me goin to the beauty salon is also a social event, talkin with the ladies there.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2003 at 9:33pm
Demodoll, Elissa and Melba,

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you,
It feels so good to feel appreciated for all the studying and seminars I attend.

Our profession is really trying to emerge from the stereotype of the "gossiping, gum-smacking, cigerette-smoking" people society tends to label us as. I feel I am constantly trying to prove myself as being a normal person. I am a mom, wife and a business woman.

Thanks again, you really made my day
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 10:04am
OMG...ME TOO!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 12:56pm
And we appreciate you too! I believe that the perceptions of the gum-smacking, cigarette smoking, gossiping hairdresser, or the gay male hairdresser are changing as people continue to realize just how important looking good is. I am more than willing to pay for a good haircut. Not just anyone can do that for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic