Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you find that the hair topic is a very personal topic in public?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you find that the hair topic is a very personal topic in public?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you find that the hair topic is a very personal topic in public?
    Posted: January 16 2002 at 6:06pm
We all seem to have no problems chatting about our hair on the hair boutique but do you find yourself at times in a situation that is very uncomfortable and has to do with hair discussion?

I did a couple of times. I took this powerpoint course once and the instruction said that we had to do two powerpoints slides of different topics. One of mine was antiques and the other I went on a limb and the tittle was" how to be a hair goddess on the internet and the rules" ( I love humour)

AT the end of our projects we students had to walk around the class to ask questions about each other projects . Everyone loved my antique slides and I gained a lot of acceptance about it but most women back off on my hair goddess one and some men just chuckled. The funny part was the instructor used to have long hair( I never knew before) and he though it was a great slide and I gained good points. I just find it interesting how the hair topic didn`t right with some people. Everyone did realize that it was just humour yet I feel that I did a slide on women lingerie etc I wouldn`t have had the same reactions but better.

Till this day I will never get used to having someone phone me and just talk about hair. lol I don`t know why.

Even at work when the hair topic came up I found people shy away from it eventhough some people would have enjoyed talking about it more.

I would have though that talking about our toes etc would be more personal yet...........
dianefromcanada
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2002 at 8:42pm
OK, maybe some people associate hair talk with some kind of sexual fantasy talk and that makes them nervous. Maybe...I don`t know.
My Dad feels comfortable talking about it in public. I,ve heard him say that he has to color my Moms`s hair many times when he sees the grey roots. LOL, She would kill me if she knew I said that over the i-net.
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2002 at 5:22pm
It`s true. Many is the time when I see a female colleague whose hair makeover has been so radical or impressive as to really make me want to tell them so. If I`m feeling brave I do and invariably the reaction is one of embarrassed politeness. Why? They should know me enough to realise that I`m not trying to "hit" on them - the very idea would be ridiculous - but no, it seems that complimenting a woman on her new hairstyle is taboo, unless you`re another woman. What a shame!
phil
lucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2002 at 11:15am
Nope. I really don`t have any qualms about talking on any subject in public.

My opinion is my opinion, whether at home or away.

Besides, if someone else brings up the subject in public why should I be embarrased about replying?
JDP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2002 at 2:02pm
I think the subject can be personal particulary where colourants are concerned. Some women - this may be an English trait, I don`t know - will go to any length to pretend their colour is natural. Anybody found this? Afterall, in offices many feel themselves in competition with younger colleagues.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2002 at 9:27am
2 possible reasons, First women being as they are may have chosen not to indulge your vanity and the othe rmaybe the way you project your hair opinions... as in you are right and seem ot you understand why others do not feel as you do.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 8:30am
Hello Diane,

>>>We all seem to have no problems chatting about our hair on the hair boutique but do you find yourself at times in a situation that is very uncomfortable and has to do with hair discussion?

Nearly ALL of the time!

>>>I went on a limb and the tittle was" how to be a hair goddess on the internet and the rules" ( I love humour)

This is, in no way, meant to be an insult, but I`m just curious if the word "godess" weren`t awkward. Usually the term is applied to someone else, not ourselves!

>>>I just find it interesting how the hair topic didn`t right with some people.

Well, to some, talking about the hair on the head is about as interesting as talking about the hair on our arms! Some people simply have no interest at all in the subject.

Jennifer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic