Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why is society still like this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Highland Colonel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highland Colonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why is society still like this?
    Posted: March 30 2002 at 1:03pm
I have found that many people still seem to be prejudiced toward men who wear their hair
long. As a matter of fact, there is also a certain number of those who disapprove of men
who wear beards. Why is this? These are such shallow "norms" and do not reflect anyone`s
personality. Some workplaces have rules against mens` long hair and even facial hair, as
do some schools. Almost no one nowadays would dare make a similar rule telling women to
not cut their hair. So why this picking on men? What are these institutions trying to achieve?
I would like some thoughts.

Colonel John Doe
Commanding Officer, the Cameron Highlanders Militia for Freedom and Democracy
Samangus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2002 at 10:16am
Hi.
I agree with you and I`m female. I have male friends with long hair and even my ex boss who was a Dr. had long hair. It didn`t make any difference in their personalities or how they did their jobs. I think that men should be able to wear their hair any way that they want to, provided it`s kept neat, but I think that way for women, too.
Hopefully, things will change.
Timothy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2002 at 7:39pm
Totally agree.
lucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2002 at 10:37am
Hopefully as time passes society will accept men with long hair in any field. Think of the difference in societal attitudes between say 30 yrs. ago and now. A lot has changed. Hopefully this will too.

My husband is a guitar teacher as well as "prof." musician. (cd will be out soon! booking agent setting up dates soon as well.) He works in a music store.
His hair used to be lower back length and gorgeous! I mean WOW. Perfect curls, (not tight little permed ones. I actually know of men whove done that! lol.) --- silky and gorgeous --- I was so jealous!
But even HE had to cut off all of his hair to be taken seriously. AND HE WORKS IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS! It`s amazing.
Raquel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raquel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2002 at 12:31pm
When I was in college, I had a very good guy friend who had long hair. He wore a trench coat and lots of turquoise jewelry. His appearance was a little scary at first, but once I got to know him, he was one of the sweetest most trustworthy guys I had ever known. The funniest thing that ever happened was one day, he was sitting in a fast food restaurant eating a biscuit for breakfast. A little old lady came up to him and said, "If I had some scissors I would cut your hair," He replied to her, "If you had a pacemaker, I would unplug it." As you can imagine, she went along on her merry way. HEE! HEE!
Rachel
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2002 at 9:18pm
Why do people pick on men with long hair? For the same reason they would pick on a man wearing a skirt. For the same reason those same people would mandate a woman wear a skirt suit (instead of pants) to an interview. For the same reason men are expected to wear neckties, but not women. Sexism is so incredibly hard to conquer, sadly enough. It`s unfortunate that we live in a society that has been trapped in sexism for so long, because those sexist habits are tough to break. I too hope the long hair on men attitude will change, which I think it will. It may take another generation, but it will most likely become accepted.

As I hope pantsuits will be too! Believe it or not, many wardrobe/image consultants STILL say women should wear a skirt, heels and nylons with a suit instead of pants to an interview, because it`s "more formal" than pants! What torture! I say to heck with them, I`ve got a killer suit and it sure isn`t a skirt. :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2002 at 10:48pm
I have found that many people still seem to be prejudiced toward men who wear their hair
long.

Yes you are correct about this. I thought it was just the older generation but lately I heard the same thing from a girlfriend. (Diane)

As a matter of fact, there is also a certain number of those who disapprove of men
who wear beards. Why is this?

Personally I don`t care one way or the other but too many times society have seen men who don`t take care of the beards and nothing is worse than seeing one lunch left in the beard. YOu know what I mean.(Diane)

Some workplaces have rules against mens` long hair and even facial hair, as
do some schools.

Yes especially the professional acccounting field actually have contract demanding no beards. Not sure about the long hair. (Diane)

Almost no one nowadays would dare make a similar rule telling women to
not cut their hair.

I would disagree with you. The medical field doesn`t like women wearing long hair and if they do they have to take certain precautions. ( Diane)

This other day my girlfriend and I been hanging out with single people activities and I came across this man that shaved his head. Right away it never occured to me that it was strange but I found him attractive and we really thought we could be friends but my girlfriend took one look at him and thought the worse. She having a rough time about the whole thing and the worse part is the next man that invited her for a cup of coffee also had a shaved head and really had to talk to me about it. That is why Steven Seagal is mine and she has Jean Claude Van Damme but I am afraid to tell her that his hair in some movies tend to be a bit longer lol.
She said that she has a problem dealing with her feelings about men with long hair or bald. Personally I don`t mind but I probably wouldn`t like to deal with a man that had longer hair than I. Just because! lol
The funny part is that I found the man attractive with his bald look and he loves my long hair and made it a point to tell me that I should grow my hair longer because it is beautiful. Isn`t life nice at times. lol
I think it is what we are used to. For the longest time I didn`t like long hair on men but with my careers I got used to it.
dianefromcanada
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2002 at 10:49pm
long.

Yes you are correct about this. I thought it was just the older generation but lately I heard the same thing from a girlfriend. (Diane)

As a matter of fact, there is also a certain number of those who disapprove of men
who wear beards. Why is this?

Personally I don`t care one way or the other but too many times society have seen men who don`t take care of the beards and nothing is worse than seeing one lunch left in the beard. YOu know what I mean.(Diane)

Some workplaces have rules against mens` long hair and even facial hair, as
do some schools.

Yes especially the professional acccounting field actually have contract demanding no beards. Not sure about the long hair. (Diane)

Almost no one nowadays would dare make a similar rule telling women to
not cut their hair.

I would disagree with you. The medical field doesn`t like women wearing long hair and if they do they have to take certain precautions. ( Diane)

This other day my girlfriend and I been hanging out with single people activities and I came across this man that shaved his head. Right away it never occured to me that it was strange but I found him attractive and we really thought we could be friends but my girlfriend took one look at him and thought the worse. She having a rough time about the whole thing and the worse part is the next man that invited her for a cup of coffee also had a shaved head and really had to talk to me about it. That is why Steven Seagal is mine and she has Jean Claude Van Damme but I am afraid to tell her that his hair in some movies tend to be a bit longer lol.
She said that she has a problem dealing with her feelings about men with long hair or bald. Personally I don`t mind but I probably wouldn`t like to deal with a man that had longer hair than I. Just because! lol
The funny part is that I found the man attractive with his bald look and he loves my long hair and made it a point to tell me that I should grow my hair longer because it is beautiful. Isn`t life nice at times. lol
I think it is what we are used to. For the longest time I didn`t like long hair on men but with my careers I got used to it. There is so many men with long hair now a days.
dianefromcanada
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic