Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLong hair on boys ok or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
priyanka View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long hair on boys ok or not?
    Posted: November 03 2001 at 3:18pm
Dear members,

I am seeking you honest opinion as to whether moms should allow the boys to grow their hair longer if they wish to.

Also please post your opinion as to whether moms should take decision to let their boys hair grow long until a certain age. Is it appropriate accroding to you?

Thanks
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2001 at 5:24pm
Reply to message: 24.802.1
Personnally, I never stood in the way my sons wanted to dress nor how they wanted to wear their hair. In my humble opinion I always felt it was important to allow an individual to develop their personality and their style.
dianefromcanada
scrye View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2001 at 9:45pm
urgh...i hope this isn`t going to double post...i had trouble when sending it earlier.

Well anyways i myself am a boy and still living with my parents and currently growing out my hair. My parents don`t particular like it, but they don`t force me into cutting it or not. So i guess it is coo with them:P

justin
"Death is all around me, but now I'd rather die then follow mediocrity" Run - Project 86

"Boys think their the bomb, because they remind them of their mom" Barlow Girls - Superchic[k]

justin
duke View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2001 at 8:38am
Reply to message: 24.807.1
quote:
scrye originally wrote: urgh...i hope this isn`t going to double post...i had trouble when sending it earlier.

Well anyways i myself am a boy and still living with my parents and currently growing out my hair. My parents don`t particular like it, but they don`t force me into cutting it or not. So i guess it is coo with them:P

justin

THEY SURE HAD BETTER ALLOW THEM, OR THEY`RE NUTHIN BUT A BUNCH OF SEXIST, YELLIN`,
AUTHORITARIAN CONFORMISTS WHO OUGHT TO BE REMOVED FROM SOCIETY. Your kids are not your property. Long hair on a boy is ought to be acceptable by now, yet some crabby folks waste their time
criticizing them. Hello, people. Don`t you want your kids to be happy? Telling them how to wear their
hair can make them absolutely miserable and resentful - believe me, I`ve been there. It`s a violation of one`s bodily integrity. And what`s with promoting these sexist norms? Lighten up, people.
Wetflame View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2001 at 9:33am
Reply to message: 24.810.1
Actually, guys used to always have long hair up to about 100 years ago when some English King made it unpopular. Fact.

Note: I enjoy popping up in random message borads stating facts.
kat_02 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2001 at 9:24pm
Reply to message: 24.830.1
I think long hair can look very nice on boys. I wish my parents would let my brother grow his hair out a little. He looks weird with short hair... *sighs* But they`re won`t let him because they don`t think it`s socially acceptable.

But I like long boy hair. :)
- kat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2001 at 8:37pm
Reply to message: 24.832.1
I read this article in the paper this morning under the Ann Landers column. It was about a boy growing his hair and his parents were supportive but the grandparents said that the grandchild couldn`t go their 50th wedding celebration unless he cuts his hair. The parents were devastated and ask Ann Landers what to do. She said the month of the celebration bring the child for only a trim and a shaping and bring him to the party and if it has to be short visit then be it.
dianefromcanada
Rachel A View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2001 at 11:34pm
Reply to message: 24.836.1
quote:

dianefromcanada originally wrote:
Reply to message: 24.832.1
I read this article in the paper this morning under the Ann Landers column. It was about a boy growing his hair and his parents were supportive but the grandparents said that the grandchild couldn`t go their 50th wedding celebration unless he cuts his hair. The parents were devastated and ask Ann Landers what to do. She said the month of the celebration bring the child for only a trim and a shaping and bring him to the party and if it has to be short visit then be it.

well i`m no mom cuz i`m only 17 but..... i prefer boys with short hair. i have friends that have long hair but my preference is a short hair boy.
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
Ceira View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2001 at 1:49pm
Reply to message: 24.802.1
I do not think boys should have long hair i think they look sick and stupid
sweetstarz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2001 at 6:10pm
i come from a family w/ a strong religious background so i`ve been taught that it`s a shame 4 a guy 2 have long hair. how long is long? don`t ask me. personally i can stand a guy w/ hair down 2 their chin or so but no longer. and when it`s all stragally and shaggy.....that`s just gross.
sandy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2001 at 6:29am
Have you seen Dave Decker`s hair on HairBoutique? He has waist length hair that most women would kill for. I think long hair on men is sexy, most every guy I`ve gone out with has had hair atleast to his shoulder. But I agree I hate it when I see long hair that is shaggy looking at the ends, either on a guy or a woman.
BaldSandra
Waggy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2001 at 3:46pm
ah `xcuse me Sweets - Religion against short hair - remember Jesus, Mohammed, Moses - need I go on.

As to the "Allow" part of hair - it doesn`t matter what anyone`s personal preferance or opinion is - it`s your hair - as long as you can take care of it and it`s clean and not intruding on other people`s space - wear it however you like...waggin`
Be yourself - unless you suck...wags

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2001 at 10:43pm
Reply to message: 24.863.1
Actually Waggy I can believe this. It really rings a bell in my past for sure. When I was younger I grew up learning that long hair men usually meant that they were bums and probably were no good and probably end up as criminals and forbid the girl that acutally thinks that was sexy on the guys! Of course having a father in the army didn`t help the long hair theory. NOt that I really thought about it at the time and all the guys in the school had short hair but once they were out of school some of them had longer hair and unfortunately some of them drank beer. I meantion this as a joke because most of us short hair people did the exact same thing and it was about the only thing to do for all of us on the weekends . Drink beer, play pool and go out of town to see a movie and drink beer .... ( what else is there in life ? lol lol) but if a guy had short hair and came from a good family and was drunk it was just one of those nights but if the same guy had long hair and came from the same background he was a bum. It had to be longer than shoulder length. Everyone had the same religion and the same way of thinking in many ways. At the time everything went smoothy because of the common backgrounds. Even thought I would vote that Dave Decker has nice hair, his hair wouldn`t have survive in my town for sure.
People from my town weren`t stupid. They were with it but that was the thinking at that time.

Noone really knows how long Jesus`s hair was. I had pictures that his hair was above shoulder and others past it but at no times that Jesus`s hair in picture was seen as waist lenght or longer. Has anyone ever seem him with long hair as such?

IT takes a lot to change one`s thinking. Of course I don`t think that way no longer. It takes growing up, moving away, going on trips, and blending with society to see that hair has nothing to do with personality or whatever.
It takes understanding and experience to change our thoughts.
dianefromcanada
Tina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2001 at 11:02am
Hi All,
Great board, so glad I found it. I started growing my son`s hair right after my divorce when he was 4. He is 9 now & his braid is just barely below the waist. It is quite thick with lots of body which is a little unusual for being a blond. He loves it long, & I am so proud of him for putting up with all the problems that being a little different can bring. His 10th B-Day is Jan 20th, & I`m going to let him decide what he wants to do with his hair. It will be difficult for both of us to cut it, but I will understand. Just thinking about cutting it makes me cry.

Tina
that is a hair DON'T
RedHead View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2001 at 2:08pm
Reply to message: 24.928.1
You should DEFINANTLY let him grow his hair out long. I love it when guys have long hair. Let him be who he wants to be!
Long, red, slightly wavy hair. Trying to go grow very long! It`s about 3.75in. from my belt now :)
RedHead View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2001 at 2:08pm
Reply to message: 24.928.1
You should DEFINANTLY let him grow his hair out long. I love it when guys have long hair. Let him be who he wants to be!
Long, red, slightly wavy hair. Trying to go grow very long! It`s about 3.75in. from my belt now :)
ladykera View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2001 at 11:23am
I only have a few things to say....
If the boy wants long hair let him have it, but make sure they understand that some people wont see long hair as a work or art. If they understand great! If not, they probably will soon enough. My younger brother has had hair of all lengths and doesn`t hold any preferance what so ever. Some people in my town have said he`s gay b/c he has long hair (don`t ask me why they say that, most of my gay friend hve crew cuts). But he knows that no matter what he does with his hair, he`s still the same person.
-Kera
aka princess of the air force (they just don`t know it yet)
Highland Colonel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2001 at 1:20pm
First, let me say that anyone who judges someone on the length of their hair is doing an injustice. It
does not reflect one`s character. Boys should be allowed to wear their hair according to their tastes.
For the record, it`s healthy for them to stand up for themselves before their critics! Secondly, I must
question what Tina has done. It seems that you have "grown" your son`s hair solely to make up for
some insecurity you had after your divorce. Do you look at your son as a plaything? I don`t mean to
hurt your feelings, just to consider your actions. You say you will "allow" him to get his hair cut at 10.
In other words, if he wanted it cut before, you would forbid him to? Out of fairness toward your son,
I will say that it`s his hair, not yours, and he shouldn`t have to put up with long hair for your sake.
I believe that you should let him make the choice RIGHT NOW was to whether he wants to cut his
hair or leave it long, and apologise if you ever exerted force in this matter before. Please Tina, I know
a divorce is a difficult thing, but it shouldn;t be taken out on innocent children.

Colonel Doe
Jennifer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2001 at 11:58pm
Reply to message: 24.939.1
Personally, I view parents who forcefully cut their children`s (boys or girls) hair the same as those who forceably "grow" their children`s hair long.

Unless it`s something terribly radical, why on earth does it matter? The question, "Is it right or wrong for a male to have long hair?" isn`t a valid question. It`s neither right nor wrong. We all have opinions and personal preferences, but there is no definite right or wrong. Personally, I don`t care for long hair on boys or men, but that doesn`t make it "wrong" by any means.

Want to give your child a complex? Then, force your own sense of hair style upon him or her......

Jennifer
Spot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2001 at 2:22pm
Reply to message: 24.942.1
I agree Jennifer, my parents don`t care what I do with my hair. They`ve almost always been that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic