Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The big cut..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The big cut..
    Posted: April 18 2002 at 10:32pm
On a personal note, I would like to say that I am saddened by the pressure to cut the hair when entering boot camp. I understand that it can get in the way, but as a newly enlisting member in the Army, I can say that I will cry when I cut my long blonde hair off.. :-(
PotatosMcGee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PotatosMcGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2002 at 12:06am
Are you gonna cut it before you go to boot camp, or let them do it? If its that upsetting, you may want to get it done on your own
Highland Colonel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highland Colonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2002 at 1:37pm
Can you wear a chin-length wig with your long hair in a knot underneath?

Colonel John Doe
Commanding Officer, the Cameron Highlanders Militia for Freedom and Democracy
Beatnik Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatnik Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2002 at 3:57pm
Good plan, Colonel.
So, Julie, does this seem viable? How much hair were you anticipating needing to loose? :o(

Chris
Dulci View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dulci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2002 at 12:22pm
I just called the Army recruiter in my town to ask about this, he said women do NOT have to cut their hair above the collar, but they must get it up off the collar somehow [french braid, bun, etc.].

I joined the Army about 20 years ago, I wore mine in a french braid, it was fine. :)
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2002 at 12:07pm
Careful - does the off the collar but long allowed rule apply always or did the recruiter
omit to disclose what really happens in basic training? I have read the United States
Army dress code and it says that men have to wear short hair, yet it does not have
to be cropped down to a buzz/crew/brush cut. Yet apparently, this is what happens
in boot camp to men.

Shani View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2002 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Julie Julie wrote:

On a personal note, I would like to say that I am saddened by the pressure to cut the hair when entering boot camp. I understand that it can get in the way, but as a newly enlisting member in the Army, I can say that I will cry when I cut my long blonde hair off.. :-(

You ought to make sure with your recruiter before you do anything drastic. I also understand that the army usually does not require women`s hair to be cut short.

There may be some exceptions - for example, female freshman recruits are given extremely short haircuts. [As upperclassmen, they are allowed to wear it somewhat longer.]

And I have a friend who enlisted in the Navy several years ago. In her case, she had to have her hair actually cut short for her original enlistment, but later was allowed to grow it and pin it up off the collar.

Elise View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2002 at 11:29pm
Which is more important to you, to be a soldier to fight for freedom or to be a fashion icon? Make your decision and then stick with it.
ladykera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladykera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2002 at 10:19am
i just went through air force field training and i wasn`t required to cut my hair. i just got back three weeks ago, so this is recent... i wore my hair in french braids the whole time, so i know you can do it with out getting it chopped!
-Kera
aka princess of the air force (they just don`t know it yet)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic