Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bunches in the workplace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jacqui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bunches in the workplace
    Posted: April 26 2002 at 10:29am
I’ve recently had my hair cut into a short, one length bob. I’m really pleased with the cut, but the only problem is that it’s too short to tie back into a ponytail without having straggly hairs from the front that are too short to secure in the ponytail. Although I know they are fashionable, I don’t like straggly bits, I also don’t like hair falling in my face when I’m at my desk. To alleviate this problem I’ve been using an alice band, but I’m getting a little bored wearing it everyday. Although my hair is too short to fully go into a ponytail, it is long enough to put into bunches (pigtails) which is what I do when I’m at home. The question I have is do you think that at age 26, I could get away with wearing my hair in bunches to work or do you think people would think I would look silly, because of my hair length, the bunches have to be mid-height rather than low. The office I work in has a smart dress code and although I’m tempted to try it, I’m just not sure. Opinions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Jacqui
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2002 at 10:39am
Sounds like you work in an office that pigtails would not be appropriate. Is an Alice band just a type of headband? Could you take the sides back with "nice" barettes (however, you spell it)? How long have you had your haircut? It might be you just need to get used to it.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2002 at 1:27pm
Pigtails, sure, why not? Express yourself. There is nothing gross about it (I don`t really
like "straggly bits" either) and I don`t see why it should cause an uproar.

I hate office dress codes.
grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2002 at 3:25pm
Have you ever seen anyone else with pigtails in the office?
Is there a published dress code? Look into it, specifically. Ask your HR person.

Personally, I would say no, pigtails are a very casual hairstyle, and not so in keeping with a "smart" dress code.

just my 2 pence
Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)
ponytailhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ponytailhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2002 at 4:00pm
i would say go for it,but just make sure the tails are tied neatly and the part is straight.
"i can feel it in my bones"
Aoecean Glyvxx View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aoecean Glyvxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2002 at 2:14pm
The business world sucks......I hope I never have to go into it....I refuse to be a drone in a green hive.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2002 at 7:30am
Even if it`s acceptable as part of your business dress code, the pigtails will make people judge you based upon your hairstyle. It`s unfortunate, unfair, but true---people tend to make instant judgments about others based upon their hair style. Although I think the bunches would be really cute, they`re probably too playful for the office. I would go with the barette suggestion. good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Jacqui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2002 at 1:29pm
I`ve done it! A couple of weeks ago we had a dress down day, so I took advantage of it and arrived at work with my hair in bunches and it went down really well. People said they really liked it and when I suggested that I might wear them to work more often, no one seemed to object. I left it a week or so and decided that I`d try it with a suit. I took the advice of making sure the parting was straight, so went to a salon on the way to work and asked a hairdresser to do it. I arrived at work dressed in a smart business suit with my hair in bunches and nobody objected at all! I was really pleased because now I can wear my hair at the length I like and have a variety of options with regard to tieing it back. I`m so glad I tried it as it just goes to show that you can`t always tell what others will think and it beats either growing or having my hair cut short which were the other options.
mommak8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommak8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2002 at 6:19pm
A girl in my office also wore pigtails when she was growing her hair out, she looked great! It`s all in how you carry yourself, do your makeup, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic