Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are short haired girls more assertive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2002 at 5:40pm
Of all the replies I think Amanda has the best point; it could be that girls who are willing to take the plunge are also those who feel better able to conquer innermost fears. This may at least on the surface give them the appearance of being more assertive. Well said!
I think Diane, you have a good point also that it must take an awful lot of character to grow hair long, quite a different quality altogether to one who has it chopped off. Maybe I was doing long hair women a disservice implying they are not assertive, perhaps instead we should celebrate their perseverance!
Duke, I don`t think it`s entirely hogwash that we judge a person`s character by their hairstyle. I know it`s subjective and probably unfair but we all do it, that`s why we are members of HB, because hair matters! All the time people are trying to guage personalities using external factors, personally I think hair is as good a pointer as any, and even if I`m wrong I still get a lot of fun out of it.
Noreen , so many things to ponder. I don`t suppose your personality will be changed the moment you cut your hair but my original question referred to the motive behind the action. Is it only the more assertive, the ones more prepared to embrace change who reach for the scissors? I don`t know, but to finish I just want to point out that I don`t consider one quality any better than the other, just different.
phil
Elise View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2002 at 11:23pm
I also agree with Amanda. Girls with short hair are also lacking in traditional femininity so they may have to put forth extra effort to show that they count! I don`t mean that as an insult, but since most women have short hair, it`s too easy for a short-haired woman to just blend in with the crowd.
Username View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Username Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2002 at 7:10pm
"Girls with short hair are also lacking in traditional femininity"

...like Charlize Theron and Cameron Diaz?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2002 at 7:39am
The last pictures I saw of Charlize and Cameron had them with chin-length styles, which many people don`t consider short.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2002 at 6:12pm
Of all the replies I think Amanda has the best point; it could be that girls who are willing to take the plunge are also those who feel better able to conquer innermost fears. This may at least on the surface give them the appearance of being more assertive. Well said!

Phil that would only apply to people who really do have a fear of cutting their hair as something like having the complishment of learning to drive a car etc. but the reality is to cut your hair is the most easiest thing to do for most people and hardly anyone thinks its a big deal and we are conditioned to think that we need a haircut once a month or whatever. Personally I think the ones that actually go against the flow are the ones that are more assertive and stronger in character.
dianefromcanada
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2002 at 1:24pm
Yes Diane, I do take your point, like I said maybe we should instead be celebrating the perserverance of those girls who are able to grow their hair long. Just one thing though, do you think that short hair in women is so commonplace these days that actually *growing it* is now going against the flow?
phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2002 at 2:16pm
Yes Phil growing it is coming against the flow. It has become very obvious these days even more when events occur like huge social dances and I find that maybe there might be two other women in the group of 200 people who have long hair like mine. The other day dancing under the canapy among 2,000 I only noticed three other women that had long hair.
dianefromcanada
Emily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2002 at 11:00pm
It`s definitly going against the flow to have long hair these days. My hair is about tailbone length and I`m continually being asked when I`m going to cut it. I`m 15, so I don`t really get "teased", just the prodding annoys me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2002 at 8:30am
It`s definitly going against the flow to have long hair these days. My hair is about tailbone length and I`m continually being asked when I`m going to cut it. I`m 15, so I don`t really get "teased", just the prodding annoys me.

Emily your hair sounds very nice. It always amazes me how it can drive some people batty to the point of poking their business into ours. I am sure that you have never went up to someone and said"when you are planning to grow that hair". lol
dianefromcanada
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2002 at 3:15pm
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Soembody back there said that there are a million factors as to why someone would grow out or cut their hair- I think that age and position in life are the biggest. Often if a woman has short hair it can mean that she has `shed` the traditional roles of society, but that`s becoming less and less true. In my own experience, it seems that girls with longer hair are more confident and assertive (in general), but I`m in high school and I`m sure its different in other ages and settings. I have short hair, and I`m pretty shy and quiet, while my friend Jennie has very long hair & is extremely confident and sociable. So, I guess its hard to tell, altho about 20 or 30 years ago I`d say that this was definitely true... short hair has become much more popular in more recent times, and much more common among any personality type.
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
sammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2002 at 8:28pm
I think girls with very little hair on their heads have to be assertive. They have little femininity to help them! No offense to women with very little hair, but when most of the hair is gone, there isn`t much else, so they have to be aggressive; otherwise people will ignore them. They are kind of like "men" girls -- they`re girls in reality, but they have to act like men because they aren`t very ladylike. They have nothing to lose, so they have to act like men and be dominant and aggressive to get people to notice them; their lack of hair sure isn`t going to do it.
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2002 at 3:08pm
I`m totally bald! Not from choice, may I add. Does that make me really assertive? No it doesn`t, in fact I daren`t even venture out without my wig on.
BaldSandra
Albert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2002 at 9:40pm
Sandy,
Hair length or having no hair like yourself has nothing to do with a woman`s assertiveness or shyness or whatever, nor does it have anything to do with a woman`s femininity! Guys like Sammy associate a woman`s femininity with her hair length which isn`t true at all. Some of the most unfeminine masculine bulldyke lesbians I ever met had medium or longer hair, they acted like guys in a heavy metal band or something, and for sure I have met short haired women who looked and acted feminine, including the woman I am with. I am sure Sandy you are beautiful and feminine, just like the people on that other thread were stating, just believe in yourself Sandy, as a person and as a woman, and you will be just fine! It is the person that counts;your femininity comes through as a person, and your goodness comes through as a person whether you are a long haired girl, short haired girl or bald girl, your hair isn`t your essense as a woman, you are your essence as a woman!
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2002 at 7:37pm
:

Edited by Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2002 at 10:51am
>>>>>Hair length or having no hair like yourself has nothing to do with a woman`s assertiveness or shyness or whatever, nor does it have anything to do with a woman`s femininity!

Well, I`ve had both long and short hair. Short hair definitely made me feel less feminine and more aggressive (I`m not fat, and I have petite facial features, so it was definitely the lack of hair). With short hair, very generally, one does have to make up for "femininity" in many other ways -- make-up, jewelry, clothing. I know that a lot of women don`t feel this way, but I just felt a bit "neutered" without long, beautiful, flowing hair. A woman without her "crown" will probably tend to feel and act more aggressive, since short hair can be seen as invasive against traditional femininity.

Oh, for whomever mentioned Charlize Theron -- if you think she looks good now, have you ever seen her with long hair. I`m a totally heterosexual female, yet I was nearly drooling when I saw her with long hair! She looked like a fairy princess in a dream -- completely unreal. Of course, she`s devastating gorgeous, and she`ll look good no matter what. But with her hair long, she was absolutely unreal. Even short hair lovers would have a change of heart if they saw her. {grin}

Jennifer
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2002 at 9:07am
Thanks for all your replies. I agree that as short hair has become far more commonplace in women, they are less likely now to stand out from the crowd. So as a "look at me" statement conducive with assertiveness and agression, it perhaps does not apply these days as it did in say the 80s, when big hair was in.
So are short haired girls more assertive? I have to say I don`t hold with the idea that they have to compensate for a perceived lack of femininity. Girls don`t need long hair or pretty clothes. As regards femininity - in my view attitude is everything and the rest just `garnish`.
Maybe I`ve just got the cart in front of the horse here. Could it just be that your `Alpha` women with the more aggressive and assertive tendencies are the ones more likely to march into the salon with orders to "cut it off", whilst your `Beta` types aren`t too much into upsetting the applecart and just want the ends trimmed, please? Just a thought.
phil
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 9:32pm
I respectfully disagree, Phil.

I don`t think you`re doing yourself a service by deluding yourself into thinking that the women who physically appear most attractive to you (shorter-haired) are primarily of strong will, whereas longer-haired women are mostly "meek and mild-mannered."

I`ve known women with long hair who were strong-willed, and some who weren`t so much. And I`ve known women with short hair who were strong-willed, and some who weren`t so much.

I think that strength of character is entirely independent of a woman`s preferred hair length. I think that, as far as hair goes (or visits to hair salons), strength of character is expressed by determination to get the service that is desired. If a long-haired woman wants short hair, and has it cut short, to which state would you ascribe her strong will to change? The fact that she had long hair when she made this decision could lead an bystander to conclude that long-haired women are more strong-willed, because they either definitively decide to cut their hair, or definitively decide to keep it long. And woe be to the woman who has and prefers long hair who is meek, for her hair is in trouble at the salon. Furthermore, how about a short-haired women who resolutely decides to grow her hair long? Presuming that she sticks to this plan, she starts the journey with short hair and strong will. And when her hair is long, she is still of strong mind.

Now, mind you, I`m not saying here that long-haired women are *without a doubt* of stronger mind than short haired women, but a case could be made to that effect.

The message here is that the strong willed determinedly get their way, whether it be short or long -- though the amount of time such determination must be with the person depends on where they are and where they want to go (if change is desired). Going from long to short takes but a brief fraction of the time required to go from short to long, so IMO the latter expresses a more enduring sense of determination.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2002 at 8:37am
Greetings, O hirsute one! It`s been a long time!

I have read your piece over and over and find I cannot disagree with a single word. True there is no correlation between strength of character and hair length, and the amount of will power required for a woman (or man!) to grow their hair long leaves me green with envy. So yes, endurance, strong will, determination - the long haired have it in abundance.

This puts me in mind of a new question - "Does the longer the hair mean the longer the marriage?", as all the above qualities would seem to be conducive to a good relationship, whereas the chop-and-change merchants..... well, I digress.

But the question was, are the short-haired girls more *assertive.* Is that the same as strong-willed, etc? - I`m not sure. By assertive I was meaning touchy, spiky, forceful, argumentative, inclined to want (and get) their own way, which in my experience is the case. Maybe my definition of assertive is too narrow in order to support my case, or yours too wide to support yours, but I dont want to get bogged down in semantics.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that hair length is no indication of character, as you rightfully point out. I was just pointing out was I see as a minor "tendency".
phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic