Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

culture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: culture
    Posted: November 15 2002 at 7:03pm
Would you like to share how your culture influence the lenght and style of your hair?

Thank you for the staff for banning the silly child.
dianefromcanada
J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2002 at 8:09pm
You are funny!
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2002 at 7:55pm
It`s an interesting topic, Diane. I imagine the most influential hair-related culture is the American Indians. They were the first to invent combs, did you know, from spinal animal bones. I suppose that made them the first to invent the concept of actually grooming your hair. Then there were the mohicans, who had long hair, as opposed to the mohawks, who were latterly to give their name to a hairstyle! But I can`t think of any others - my own "culture" ie the North of England, is a trichological desert. Maybe there are some tribes in Africa to whom hair is an important part of their culture- I`d be interested to know.
phil
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 4:41pm
Hey Diane! I like these thought-provoking topics you come up with :) Its difficult to say what my culutre is....my family`s background is half German and half Italian/Irish, but I can`t really say that I`m any of those, and they don`t really have any really unique traits as far as hair goes. So, I`d say my culture is American, not one culture but a little bit of whatever other ones are mixed together to form this strange and wonderful country. What does that include? Anything, really...I`m 100% American & have short hair dyed black, but I could be just as American and have long, blond hair or dreads or a bright red mohawk. I guess there`s certain areas of culture that infulence us...someone with a bright red mohawk would probably be into punk music for example. I`m into electronica and heavy metal, so that kinda influenced me to dye mine black, but I`m also into classic rock and classical and hip hop, which might lead to different styles, plus I (like most Americans) have varying tastes in TV, movies, art, etc., so there`s not one thing that would lead to a certain style. America really is the melting pot!
How is it in Canada? Are there as many influences?
Anyway, cool idea for a discussion. Thanks for makin` us think! :) :)

Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic