Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Males as hairdressers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 11:35am
I agree with beachgerl, many of the top stylists are male.

I actually don't particularly care if my hairdresser is male or female, just as long as my hair is done well. However, I will say that my best hair experience was with a male hairdresser who highlighted my hair. He really listened to what I wanted, and we totally had a understanding of the coloring that I wanted.
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 7:20pm
* On this subject of Gay/Straight male hairdressers.

*I would hope it wouldn't matter if a hairdresser is a man or a woman, gay or straight.
*As a successful professional woman and a lesbian, I would hope society doesn't condemn or judge harshly gay, lesbian or bi-sexual people in the beauty business {or for that matter other occupations and professions.}
*Does it really matter as long as they are courteous and professional?

>We are all human and have something to contribute.<
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 10:37pm
Yep the streotype of hairdressers. Maybe the word hairdresser is girlish hairstylist to me is more politically correct for men and also women. I guess when you work with a lot of women and not flirting with any of them makes people think you're gay. Here in my country limp wrist people dominated the industry, although they're many straight married men succesfull in it. I wanted to become one but my mother was a little sceptical about me not turning into those limp wrist guys. I never asked my dad, he would probably tell me not walk over his dead body.
ARGHH
kengibson2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kengibson2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2004 at 1:14am
I very much desire to be a hairdresser. Hair is so interesting to me. But I don''t know where to start
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 9:40pm
I have known several men who were hairstylists, every one of them gay.
One of them had a reputation as being a great stylist, one of my girlfriends went to him, but the others I guess weren't that good. I go to a woman myself.
joec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 6:07pm
I think hair styling is a wide open field for men and women.As long as you have a good instructer,and hire onto a 1st class outfit With a knowledable staff it's a great way to make a liveing.
There is a satisfaction that comes with serving the public,and makeing a women look her best. If you are the type of person than the money will follow by default,and you will have a happy,and rewarding carer
The_Airknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Airknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 8:50pm
..the only male that has done something to my hair are barbers. Otherwise - I stay away..

..but anyway, I would only let you do something with my hair if I knew you were straight..just make it clear that you are straight..

..there are many straight men who are in the hair industry, but there are also many crooked ones..but anyway, go with what you want to, I guess..
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2004 at 4:07am
What's it matter if the guy doing your hair is gay or straight? Are you worried he might be attracted to you? In that case, do you make sure all your female hairdressers are gay before they do your hair, just in case they might be attracted to you?
More awesome than a manatee!
The_Airknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Airknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2004 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

What's it matter if the guy doing your hair is gay or straight? Are you worried it might be attracted to you? In that case, do you make sure all your female hairdressers are gay before they do your hair, just in case they might be attracted to you?

..I'm afraid that I don't want sinful, unclean, dirty things in my hair..I'd rather pass..
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2004 at 3:19am
So you screen all your hairdressers to make sure they've never done anything you consider "bad". . . must be a long, difficult interview process :-P . . . but if you've got that kind of time. . . *shrugs*
More awesome than a manatee!
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 10:41am

Well

Edited by Claude
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:49pm
lol cool thread
productjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote productjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 7:54am
1) Though certainly not every male hairdresser is gay, there are gay hairdressers out there. I don't know how you feel about gay people but there are a lot of gay men in this industry, and you really should get over any stereotypes you have about gay people right now, because the hair industry puts you in contact with every different kind of person imaginable. So, whether you have prejudices about gay people, people of a different race, people from different economic and educational and political backgrounds, people of different religions -- you never know who is going to walk through that salon door, or what they're going to tell you in that chair.

2) There are less men in the beauty industry than women, but from what I've seen, most of the people making the most money are men. I think it's no secret why -- women tend to have kids and scale back their clientele/gigs or quit working altogether. Men usually have the luxury to focus on their careers or building a business -- often even if they are fathers -- while women are expected to balance both roles. I mean, in many ways, the industry is set up for men to succeed. What's a little homophobia, after all?
L281173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L281173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by EdAzner EdAzner wrote:

I don`t know how much this has been discussed on this board, but I thought I would throw this out there and see what you all have to say about it.

As a male who wants to be a hairdresser (and will hopefully be starting his training in the Summer); what do you all think. I have some people that I know that are vary supportive about it, and want to know how it works out. On the other hand there are some people I know I do not bring it up with them because they come from a different way of thinking than all the supportive, positive people. They seem to have that stereotype that male hairdressers are the limp wristed varity and generally want no part of that. I generally do not disclose my future plans to those sorts of people.

Another thing that has come to my mind is what do women think when they have a male hairedresser? I have a friend that would much rather have a male hairedresser than a female one. Is she an exception or a rule?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer.
Ed Azner

BTW: Where did this stereotype of all male hairedressers being Gay come from?

Ed:

Don't be discouraged by the stereotypes, I have been going to a male hairstylist for the past 8 years and I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world.  He and I are very close even though he is gay.  Don't by into the stereotype that all male hairdressers are gay because it is not true at all.  One of my friends has a brother who is a hairstylist and he is all around straight. He said that his job give him more access to decent women.  I would advise you to follow your dreams of being a hairstylist.  My hairstylist also freelances as a makeup artists and he also does thing like sewing, etc.  He does custom hair pieces.  In the beauty world there are many career avenues that you could take.   GOOD LUCK!!

Whenever you need motivation, feel free to contact me via my email address which is L281173@aol.com

one classy, sassy female
Mr.Beef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Beef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:02pm

Originally posted by kengibson2001 kengibson2001 wrote:

I very much desire to be a hairdresser. Hair is so interesting to me. But I don''t know where to start

The best thing you can do is explore what it takes by going to the library and check out books and magazines about cosmetology. This is what I did first to see what I was getting myself into.

If you still feel that you can seriously do hair, than start looking into going to cosmetology school. I would start looking in your immedate area, and visiting them to see what they have to offer. I would also talk to stylists that work in the salons in your area that you want to work in to see what it takes to get a job there. I also did this and it helped.  

Overall you want to pick a school that you will be comfortable in and learn a bit more than what it takes to pass the state boards.

kengibson2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kengibson2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 9:36am
I think guys as a whole are more afraid of messing up your hair so we are more attentive and pay attention while they cut and trim your hair. I know I would be.

I am not a hair stylisit, but I think I would make a good one, because in my current job I treat each and every customer like I was their world.

I have never seen a guy chat on his cell phone while giving a trim or a haircut, though I have seen plenty of girls at a cash register chatting on the phone with customers in line.

Edited by kengibson2001 - January 15 2007 at 9:37am
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 3:01am
 I actually DO prefer a man to cut my hair.
I think many men have more appreciation for a woman's hair and will be more careful.

I have let my husband cut my hair on a few occasions and he does a MUCH BETTER JOB then some of the hair dressers around here!  He is good with his hands and takes his time and pays attention to detail~and he is about the least gay man I know.

I think if you enjoy doing it and think you could be good at it~Then more power to you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic