Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Braids on white women - thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
willowtree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willowtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braids on white women - thoughts?
    Posted: February 25 2003 at 8:11am
Hi y'all,

I'm a white woman thinking about getting braids. I'm a musician and think it would be an opportunity to do something different, funky, and also let me grow my hair out a bit. I'm interested on different opinions and feedback on this idea. I'm particularly interested on how people would view this from a cultural perspective. Any thoughts?

--willow
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 9:13am
Wow, this sounds blatantly racist AND sexist at the same time.

Sarcasm aside, I thought this thread would have been white hair braids.... anyways, did you mean a single 3-strand braid or like a gazillion on your hair ?

Your post offends me in the way that I just learned to braid like Sunday (and I ain't good at it), and that I'm a white male. Although I prefer it in a simple 1-point tail, I like the braid when it's there.

Do what you want with your hair, don't let anyone influence you to do otherwise. Should the latter happen, blast them so hard that they will regret ever pissing on people's originality/good-looks-they-couldn't-attain-if-they-tried.

I can't think of any hairstyle that could be offensive to anyone's culture or ethnicity , besides dreadlocks, and even then, that meaning is long gone now.

So go nuts with your hair. It's yours, right ?
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willowtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 10:10am
Kintaro,

No offense meant. I am asking these questions because:

1. I'm white (well, a mut, really, but I look pretty white)
2. I am thinking about getting braids (multiple/many braids)
3. I am a performing musician, so before I make a drastic image change, I like to take a lot of things into account, and different people's perspectives are part of that for me.

So, with that in mind, I really am interested in actual, real intelligent perspectives from folks...

Thanks,

willow
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 11:50am
"White" is a relative term. I am Hispanic and some people think I am white and some don't.
If you are a strong individual you won't worry about what other people think.
I had very long waist length hair and I cut it in a very short pixie. I don't care what others think of me doing that. The people I care about , including my fiancee, love me anyway.

If you want to go to a braided style that is your decision. It is not for others to decide for you.

And it doesn't necessarily mean you are "acting black" or being a phony, it just means you want to try that style.
Lady Maria
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2003 at 7:57am
Imitation is the ultimate compliment.

Go for it if it fits the professional persona you are trying to create.
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2003 at 8:00am
Sounds cool to me, willowtree!
I don't think it would look wierd or be offensive to anyone...if so, that's their problem and not yours. And if you're a musician (what do you play by the way?) then it'll really work. Lots of musical folks go for interesting and unique styles. Why not you?
Good luck and hope it turns out great!

Love,
Inga
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willowtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2003 at 8:57am
Inga,

I sing and play rhythm guitar. Rock/atlernative with a country/folk influence. I'm really looking to do something which is funky, feminine, and different from what I've done before. I've got pretty short hair right now, and was thinking long would be good, but I've got 3 problems.
1. When my hair gets really long, because of the texture, my face gets lost in it, and my eyes are my best feature, so I don't want that to happen. Braids would be a way to do long without it also being a bit "big"
2. I look horrendous with my hair at any length above my chin and below the middle of my ears, so "growing it out slow" would be an image nightmare for about 6 months to a year.
3. The next 6 months to a year is going to be crucial in my career because things are really picking up steam, so growing my hair out the traditional way is not an opiton because of reason #2.

And I just plain like the way they look. Especially when they're not microbraids, but a bit thicker, just past shoulder length, and braided in an interesting pattern. It's not about imitating anyone or trying to look anything other than who I am, and more about just being me. They look fun, sassy, and sexy to me....

--willow
Gurus student View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gurus student Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 12:46am
I like the idea. I've seen braids on caucasian women before that were the artistic sort...I thought it looked really good. I think the unexpectedness would not be greeted warmly if you had a corporate job...but you don't have a corporate job! For a musician that likes the look I think it's a fine idea.
Keep hope alive!
andi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 10:10am
I'm thinking sort of an ani de franco look here
''A single open mind
can open any door'
Sonia Rutstein
ponytailhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ponytailhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 9:43pm
go for it,braids look awesome no matter what skin color you are!
"i can feel it in my bones"
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 6:41pm
I'm a black woman and I could care less if a white woman wears braids. It is a free country ain't it?

How many sistas are getting their hair straightened or dyed blonde or red like a white woman?
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 8:40pm
Hi
Artist need to express themselves so go for it!!

I might even suggest that you can get braided extensions in your hair along with it for a really dramatic look!

Keep us informed.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2003 at 5:59am
Rock on, Willowtree!
Good luck with your hair and with your music. :) :)

Lotsa Love,
Inga
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2003 at 6:44am
I have been holding back on posting on this thread, because I wasn't sure how I felt about this subject. Not so much because of a cultural aspect, but I wasn't sure about braids in general. And I try only to use encouraging words if I really mean them.

But since I saw this thread I've been noticing there a lot of (white) women who wear braids and look fabulous! Of course not everyone looks great with braids, but that's the same for every other hairstyle, it either suits you or it doesn't. But it sure is fun to experiment! If you don't like it, you can always try something else.
So I say go for it, Willow! I hope you'll like it and good luck with your music!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2003 at 1:05pm
The only thing I can say is be very careful. I have heard of women having all their hair break off when braided in all those tiny braids. I had mine done in the Bahamas and it hurts for several days because they pull your hair so tight. That could also be why the hair breaks, I don't know. I do remember that the first time Faith Hill cut her hair short it was because she had worn it in braids for several weeks and it had turned to brittle straw. I didn't leave mine in for very long so I didn't have any problem.

I haven't seen too many white women, other than Bo Derrick in the movie 10, who look good in braids. Little flyaways tend to stick out and unless your hair is really thick, which it sounds like yours it, it can look really sparce in braids.

I would say go for it if you wish but be cautious. It would be nice to have maintenance free hair but not at the cost of having it all break off.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
pretty beetle View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pretty beetle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 10:09am
man, this is a good topic! i remember back in the day...old school days, i could imagine myself not being down with anything when it came to white people doing anything that african american called "Their own". It was if they were trying to be like us or become us. I'm just keeping it real y'all. It had nothing to do with us not liking whites or being racist...it was just that finally, we had something of our own..or something that had been a disgrace and that white people hated or treated indifferently was all of a sudden something that they had to be a part of. But now, because everyone of all different races have integrated and united and are sharing their culture with different cultures...it's just a way of life! Either you except it or you don't!! On the braids issue...i agree with one of the points made above by the sistah. Do your thang, because theirs a lot of us sistahs whose crossed over and got the thin noses, lipo suction, blond/red hair, fried died laid to the side to get that "White woman look", why can't they cross over into our trends? Whatever...opinions are opinions...I say do whatever they hell you want!
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 11:41am
Well, braids can be un-braided. So do what
makes you happy.
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 2:45pm
Give it a try. See what braided style works best for you. There are so many different hairstyles to choose from when using braids. You could braid all of your hair or just a few strands. Braids are fun and like the previous poster said they can be undone so they are not like experimenting with hair color which is less easily undone. Good luck.
les View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote les Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2003 at 11:14pm
Willow...I am a 46 year old, white female artist, and plan the same as you. Why? Because it is a fun look. Creative, yes. A racial thing. Maybe. but the sisters have been straightening and lightening their hair forever and no one is stamping their feet! Go for it!!! I am.
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 2:33pm
I think you should do it! I love when cultural boundaries are broken to break up all the divisions we've created in this world. I don't like the attitude of certain hairstyles being forbidden to other races, and anyone who had a problem with a hairstyle should be woken up to the more important problems in the world. Don't worry about a few people who may be stuck in old fashioned, segregating views.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic