Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

birthdays

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: birthdays
    Posted: May 18 2003 at 3:14am
Hey Gang,

So I am sitting here at 4:00 in the morning because I cannot sleep. Why? Today is my birthday and I, for the first time, do not want to celebrate.

Last week my son wanted to watch "old" home movies. So I sit there and watch my young self with my glorious thick beautiful hair and young body and sink into a deppression. I saw in the mirror what was really there, and aging woman.

I have always been a "loving life and having fun" kinda person, ya know, life gives you lemons and you make lemonade. So why this now? I believe that sometimes birthdays make you take a mental survey of your life and say "lets see where are you now? and are you where you thought you would be?" I am exactly where I thought I would be. The good, the bad, and everything.

I am leaveing for the beach, my nirvana, in two weeks, my husband gave me a super nice digital camera, and we are presently search for me a new car. Life could not be better. So why do we obsess over that little digit clicking up one more? I think it is just the "American Way".

I'm sorry to be a "wet rag" but if you cannot "vent" to your friends than who can you vent to.

So give me some positive notes on aging.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 8:02am
Lili...Lili...Lili....What would you would tell a client that was feeling this way? or was asking you these questions??

I'd say you're being a little hard on yourself, why?

Answer these questions....

Are you a kind person?
Depenable?
Gifted?
Generous?
Open and Honest?
Giving to the best of your ability?
I bet your a great mom and wife...?
A mentor, at work, and elsewhere?
Helpful? Always there for people?

I'd be willing to bet that the answer to all of these questions is yes...If you were being honest with yourself.
Sound like beautiful to me!

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 12:05pm
Hi Lili,

First of all....Happy Birthday. Second of all, I hope you know how much your posts mean to me and I admire and respect what you have accomplished in your life.

Last...about aging. I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't know how old you are but I went through a similar thing when I turned 40. Then I had a dear friend point out to me what Sophie did above and I thought about it a long time.

Anyway, as a result of my friend reminding me that everyone gets older and changes, I have sailed through my 40s and when, or if, I get a little down because I am no longer 30 I make a list of the things about my life that I have to be thankful for and what I have accomplished by being "me".

My friend also reminded me how important it is to live every single day to the very fullest and enjoy whatever life brings your way. Sometimes being older allows us to achieve a peace and serenity that is not possible when we are "younger pups" LOL

Don't get me wrong. There are also things you can do to feel better about yourself in general that don't necessarily mean that you are fighting your age. You can change your hair or join a yoga class or take a meditation class. You can also start a journal and record all the wonderful times in your life with your husband and family and friends. :-)

And you can come here where you are valued and cared for by all of us that love your posts and presence. :-)

I hope that helps. You know you can always bMail me if I can help in any way.

Hugs
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 12:30pm
*I'm mid-thirties. I actually like being in my thirties better than being twenty. *I know more and am more comfortable with myself and the world I live in.
*I'm looking forward to middle age into my fourties and fiveties!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 12:43pm
Hi Lili

Lets play a fun game (remember someone somewhere doing this sometime….?)

Question 1: Anthill or Mountain?
Question 2: Puddle or Ocean?
Question 3: Seedling or Redwood?

Age is achievement.
Age is survival.
Age is having loved, lost and learned how to love despite and through loss. What a victory!
Age is everything we seek when we set out in life. The intimate knowing of everything.

There is only going forward - always.
The body peaks, flowers, fruits and then comes the Autumn with its dusk colours, never seen or imagined in any other season.
Beyond that is the eternal rise of the spirit, beyond life and the world.
Advancing physical age is the symbol of the emerging spirit, getting ready for flight into the upper air.

Happy Birthday, sweet goddess of olive-scented lilies in the evening glow.

All the blessings of loving-kindness to you.

Uzma
Uzi

KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 1:16pm
* Beautiful uzma, I love your description of getting older!
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 4:30pm
happy birthday. don't feel bad lilibeach. think of something fun and go do it! i'm going to be 29 on june 2nd and it's scary to think 30 is around the corner. i have so much i would like to do. you and the others give good advice on here. i can just imagine what you would be like in person.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 7:45pm
Beautiful...you guy's.

And Lili, Happy Happy Birthday!

LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 12:44am
Thank you everone!!

I knew I could count on you to help me make it through the day, thank you.

I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 12:07pm
i'm glad you are feeling better lilibeach. to me birthdays are special obviously it represents the day we are born. my mom has always through the years made my birthday special for me no matter if are money situation wasn't always the best. she would some how scrape enough money to make it special. [not that money makes a birthday] even though i'm grown and married she still makes my birthdays the best. my mom gave my husband and i the money to go to disneyland last year. we wanted to go for are honeymoon but we didn't have enough. my mom saved up for my birthday.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 1:42pm
Monica

Your mother sounds like a very kind-hearted and loving person. Very sweet and caring.

What a blessing she must be to those she loves and those who love her.

I bet you are just like her, too .

Uzi
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by uzma uzma wrote:

Monica

Your mother sounds like a very kind-hearted and loving person. Very sweet and caring.

What a blessing she must be to those she loves and those who love her.

I bet you are just like her, too .

Uzi

uzma you are right my mom is she is the best mom in the whole world! also the best friend in the world. thank you for the compliment. i hope i am just like her.
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 1:23am
Uzma... beautiful post, encouraging words. You are a kind hearted person with so much insight. I wish I had 1/10 the wisdom you hold. I think I am going to grow old before I grow up. I've been fine with each decade of my life, I have always taken care of myself and have been comfortable with myself. But for the first time I am getting glimpse of true age. I long to be old and wise. Yet I miss my youth, especially when my hubby looks at someone who is young and beautifully dressed and I know I can't dress that-a-way anymore. Those are now bygone days and part of that mystic past.
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 4:12am
Lilli,

I hope it was a happy birthday for you. I certainly understand how you were feeling the other morning.

I agree with everything that's been said back and forth in this thread, what more could I possibly add? Except to say that I am honored to be in such wonderful company. I am so glad to have found this group.

Thanks to all of you for being so special. As I've said before, I've never found a more sincere, supportive and genuinely nice group anywhere on the net. What a beautiful group of women you are!

Elissa
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 10:55pm
You are the greatest posters in the world.

Who would have known when I stumbled upon this site last janurary that I would be among some of the sweetest people in the world.

God bless each and every one of you!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2003 at 8:21pm
You Guy's...I'm getting all Veklempted (sp?)....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic