Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

going from long to short hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cheers View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: going from long to short hair
    Posted: June 30 2003 at 5:43pm
I have long hair allmost down to my butt. the shortest I've ever ahd it cut was up to my sholders, and now I am thinking about going even shorter? Has anyone ever cut their long hair short? If so, how short did you go? Did you hate it or love it? Should I go for it? Any harstyle ides?
Charlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 3:27am
Oh baby just do it, it will be such a liberation!
I had mine done recently. For so many years I wanted to. I was scared to, even though I knew I would look and feel so much better without.
My knees were knocking as I walked through the door and my voice just managed to whisper out my request to have it cut from my thigh to my shoulders.
I couldn't help myself bursting into tears when I saw all that hair on the floor, but what's left really feels fabulously soft and bouncy compared to the dull heavy weight before.
I feel about 10 years younger and have already found a new squeeze.
Genius resides in boldness!
Charlie
HeadBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeadBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 4:44pm
As a guy who had hair past his shoulders, been bald and is now buzzed I can tell you hair is a lot of fun to experiment with. But only you should make the final call on what to do with your head.

I like the disscussion on these boards most of the time and we all come from different points of reference. Some will tell you to chop it off, others will tell you to let it grow to its full potential.

All I can say is if it is what you honestly want to do and just need a nudge, let a friend know and have them help you in getting it done. You can also go in stages as an option.

I personally love short hair on myself and prefer it on women, but that doesn't mean my opinion is the most valid. That is always the individual's personal decision.

I don't regret shaving my head. When I was ready I did it, enjoyed it then let my hair grow in some. The reaction from friends and co-workers was fairly shocked then fairly positive.

Just make sure you're doing it for you.

Best of luck in your quest.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Peace to all
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by cheers cheers wrote:

I have long hair allmost down to my butt. the shortest I've ever ahd it cut was up to my sholders, and now I am thinking about going even shorter? Has anyone ever cut their long hair short? If so, how short did you go? Did you hate it or love it? Should I go for it? Any harstyle ides?

Cheers!

Ask yourself why you let your hair grow long... what was your motivation? Is the urge still there? Take a look at the extensive photo gallery here at the hairboutique site for photos of a wide variety of styles at every length, maybe you'll renew your initial inspiration or find a new inspiration.

Also, you may want to visit the other talk boards here.

Hope this helps.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 10:42pm
Cheers

In addition to the good advice you were given above, I suggest you go to a suitable shop or hairdresser and try on some short hair wigs.

That may help you decide what you want to do.

Best wishes

uzma
Uzi

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 12:25am
The first time I ever had my hair cut, I just did it all the way, from probably as long as you say yours is, right up to a short crop. Of course, in my case, it was something I'd always wanted to do, but never had been allowed to, so for me it was a total liberation thing. It caused a lot of comments, both good and bad, from people around me, but most of the reactions were good, and I was strong enough to ignore the bad ones. I never regretted it once, and ever since I actually get angry with myself if my hair gets too long. . .

Originally posted by cheers cheers wrote:

hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 8:56pm
Hi Cheers,

Just wondering if there is anything going on in your life that might be influencing your decision.....
What I mean is, if you want to change your look, make sure that it isn't a reaction to a break-up, or because you are feeling "young" at a new job. If you want to do it, make sure it is for YOU.

I have had my hair to my waist and above my ears....All looks are great fun, and you may find that more than one look feels like "you"....Don't give up the quest before you have started it, but make sure you are ready for the journey.

Enjoy!

jacqui
Stephy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2003 at 12:53am
Cheers,
Like you, I used to have long hair and wanted to get it cut. So I did. The only problem is that I regretted it a couple of days later. Now, don't get me wrong I love short hair, and it looks good on me. But sometimes people do things because they simply get bored, or for other reasons that have nothing to do with hair. Before cutting your hair, make sure that's really what you want.
I'm tired of all this nonsense about
beauty being only skindeep. That's
deep enough. What do you want, an
adorable pancreas? Jean Kerr
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 3:21pm
If, after reading and thinking about the previous replies to your message, you still want to cut your hair, why not just cut a few inches and see how you feel about that first. You can always go back and get more cut off later if you decide that's what you really want. Your hair is very long and it probably took you quite a few years to grow it. If you're simply bored, you have many options other than cutting it. Are you skilled at braiding your hair for different looks? If not, you could treat yourself to going to the salon every now and then and having a stylist braid it for you. Depending on how active you are during the day, the braided style could last several days. Just some thoughts... Best wishes in whatever you decide. Let us know how it goes.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 3:21pm
If, after reading and thinking about the previous replies to your message, you still want to cut your hair, why not just cut a few inches and see how you feel about that first. You can always go back and get more cut off later if you decide that's what you really want. Your hair is very long and it probably took you quite a few years to grow it. If you're simply bored, you have many options other than cutting it. Are you skilled at braiding your hair for different looks? If not, you could treat yourself to going to the salon every now and then and having a stylist braid it for you. Depending on how active you are during the day, the braided style could last several days. Just some thoughts... Best wishes in whatever you decide. Let us know how it goes.
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 3:24pm
I'm sorry about posting the same message (above) twice. I got an error after I tried to post the message the 1st time and thought it didn't work so I clicked "post reply" again. Sorry. Doh!
Nicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2003 at 10:45pm
okay...
did you do it then?
Brave if you did, brave if you didn't.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic