Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hairstylists, for your eyes only....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hairstylists, for your eyes only....
    Posted: July 01 2003 at 11:34am
How often do you receive tips? We've all read about tipping hair stylists, but I'm curious to know how many clients actually do.

And about what percentage of the total price do you usually receive?

And...if you are a salon owner, do you accept tips?
Carla View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 4:45pm
How odd...this is almost exactly the same topic on the HB poll for the month that is posted on the front page of the site.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 4:49pm
Oh, I didn't even see that one!

We can all claim that we tip, but I'm curious to know from those who actually make a living from cutting hair, how often they are tipped. It would be interesting to see if the ~ numbers add up from those who say they tip and how many tips the stylists actually receive.
Carla View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 7:05pm
Hi Jennifer,

Good point. I will watch here and the poll to see how the answers stack up. As you pointed out, they will probably be different.

Thanks,
Carla
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 10:48pm
I am a salon owner and yes I do accept tips.

That was the way of thinking in the 50's and 60's but today, we salon owners make the same or even less money than the stylist make.

On average, I recieve about 18% to 25% for tips. When you do a good job and the client leaves feeling better and more relaxed than when they came in, it makes all the difference.

I generally do not ask the stylists in my salon about thier tips. Its just none of my business. I will occasionally here when someone recieves a very large tip. Talk about making someones day.

Just a thought...... I always tip the guy who brings my grocery bags to my car. This practice is not usually done in the south (the tipping of the bagboy) I love the suprised and happy look on there faces when they receive it and the next visit, the guys are jumping over each other to bag my groceries.

Not that you would receive a bad cut or bad service if you did not tip, but by human nature, they will be at your beckon call. Of course this is true in any tipping environment.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 5:46am
Quote am a salon owner and yes I do accept tips. That was the way of thinking in the 50's and 60's but today, we salon owners make the same or even less money than the stylist make.

Actually, from everything I've read in sources from the last few years say that salon owners today usually don't accept tips, so it's best not to offer one. The owner of my salon (where I get highlights) won't accept tips, so I was just curious as to what other owners did.

Also, Lilibeach, about what percentage of your customers tip? Do they all tip, or just most of them?

Thanks.

PS -- I wish this software had a preview button!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic