Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair = Younger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair = Younger
    Posted: July 22 2003 at 11:25pm
I've always thought so. In most cases, long hair makes women look younger than short hair does. Likewise, if she cuts it short, she'll look a few years older. Girls who are 12-23 frequently want to look older. When women get close to 30, they want to look younger. There are other impressions. Long hair appears flirtatious, short hair serious. I've had a few friends who've either cut their hair or considered cutting their hair when they got out of college in order to not appear girlish.

I'm not sure why different lengths give me this impression. Maybe other people have ideas.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 11:32pm
With girls/women in their late teens, a short hairstyle can make them look or feel older and more sophisticated, more womanly, less girly.
However, in reality I think it depends on the woman. I have seen older women with with long hair that look just that,... like older women with long hair. Likewise I have seen twenty year old women with pixies who look very young, like a twenty year old with a short hairstyle.

I don't think you can trick people about your age regardless of your hair length. Your face tells the real story of how old you are-(unless you have had plastic surgery but you can tell a person who has had too much plastic surgery, their face looks taught and stiff, almost "plastic" looking.)-
tina
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 6:57am
Okay, I'm not a woman, but this is the first time I read something so... off.

"seriousness" has NOTHING to do with hair length or exact style. I'm not going to say I know all, but that is one hell of a stereotype being pushed there. As I said, I'm a guy, but I didn't grow out my hair to be flirtatious. To insinuate that for anyone is a gross accusation.

"looky me! i got long hair!" *run in circles repeating it over* ... I doubt ANYONE does that, well, some might, but they must be one heck of a minority.

Maybe this is an indirect stab at people with Long Hair. It's not a compliment (doesn't have to be) but it's not even an accurate representation of reality, turning it into a false and baseless accusation.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 7:14am
IMO, Some BIG parts of this eqation are;

*The "Style" of the long or short hair.

*"Condition" of hair, long or short.

*The "Color", truly great hair color, that is right for your skintone. Color can age you or take years away it can make or break any hair style.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 7:29am
Tina said;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't think you can trick people about your age regardless of your hair length. Your face tells the real story of how old you are-(unless you have had plastic surgery but you can tell a person who has had too much plastic surgery, their face looks taught and stiff, almost "plastic" looking.)-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to disagree with you here, girl. The right or wrong style and most especially hair color can soften the look of skin or it can harden it. The right or wrong hair color, can brighten or dull eye color.

And I fool people about my age all of the time...I've not had plastic surgery, but I have taken great care of my skin.....No sun, an excellent skincare regime and general good health....Now I know it's not all hair and skin. But for myself it's a big part of looking and feeling younger.

Your face and I will add hands, do tell the real story, but you can have younger, great looking skin without plastic surgery.
Cheer's Baby.
HeadBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeadBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 7:57am
Totally depends on the style and age.
I've seen plenty of women with short hair that are a great deal more flirtatious than long-haired women. Likewise, I've seen plenty on long-haired women that are just as serious.

Like anything, it totally depends on the person wearing the style.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and mine is opposite of the one that started this thread.

There is not much I find in the way of absolutes in this world. Meg Ryan always seemed cute, silly and flirtatious with short hair, Alanis Morrisette seems terribly serious with her very long hair.
Peace to all
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 10:21am
There's one unmistakeable way of guaranteeing
the right hair color for yer skin tone...wear it
natural!

Anyway, hair length and age, I think it's just
what we've come to associate hair length
with, though some ways of wearing yer hair may
be more flattering for one face than for another.
My mid-50s mother wears her hair long and it
doesn't seem to make a big difference in how
old she looks.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 11:26am
I believe that the right hair style will do wonders for a person. I personally tend to do much better with long hair then short hair. But because I do have long hair men and women do tend to think that I am only in my early 30's which I am 42. I do look young and have always looked young. Long hair can create images. One night I had this beautiful romantic dress and I was asked if I was latin because the way I was dressed and the way my hair was. But again even thought I am french for whatever reason I have this latin look..............
dianefromcanada
Benji the Sausage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benji the Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 1:11am
I am 15, and I think it depends on the person. I have bre strap length hair with bangs and an in general "girlie" look. But I have friends with supershort hair, and some of them look a lot younger than they are. And with my girlie hair most people think im 20 years old. because I just look older. But I think on older women long hair does seem more youthful. At least for my mom.

Now I feel weird because you're all talking about how your hair makes you look like you're in your 30s and Im talking about my mom. ha.

but she USED to have long hair. It was layered and really. poofy. but she lost it all to chemo and is growing it back and now I think she looks more "motherly" and more "sophisticated." the sophisticated part isnt nessicarily bad. but shes growing her hair out. She hates it when women chop off their hair when they get older.

hm. i sorta think the reason people asscociate long hair with being younger is because very few people over 27 seem to have long hair.
BSL/Blonde/Chemically Treated (abused)
1b/cMii
I swear by Redken Extreme and Shea Butter.
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2003 at 1:42pm
I hate it went people want to look more serious with short hair, it's disgustingly shallow. Nobody puts on a long shaggy wig and claims to be a hippy.
This is my signature. It's not a very
good signature, but it's a signature
nonetheless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic