Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is it OK to comb your hair at your desk at work?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it OK to comb your hair at your desk at work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it OK to comb your hair at your desk at work?
    Posted: July 30 2003 at 5:07pm
... she asks as she's doing just that.

I comb my hair on the train or on the subway all the time and get dirty looks. But then I don't care, because I'll never see those people again!
Is it rude to comb my hair at work at my desk? Walking to the bathroom... it's so far away! And I feel silly carrying a comb across the building. :)
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 10:54pm
I agree with you about the subway.

I think it depends on how your office is set up. Is it in an open area? a cubicle? a private room?

I think it also depends on the people near you. Some people think it is discusting. While me, I am so used to hair that if I find one in my food it does not bother me in the least, while others would not even eat.

I personally do not find it offensive to brush.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
littlewing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2003 at 1:51pm
hmmm....interesting question.

I think if people see you brushing your hair at your desk, they may get the impression that you care more about your hair than your job! I know that is unfair, but some people are like that.

Even though I sometimes file my nails at my desk, I think it looks unprofessional when I see others doing it!

So, if you can comb through your hair at your desk without too many people seeing you, I think you could get away with it, but if you are in a very visible area, you should probably make the hike to the bathroom.

(just my humble opinion )
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2003 at 2:48pm
Good question...and some very valid points. None of which I've thought about because I have my own office with lots of privacy. I do think tho would depend on circumstances and the environment in which you work...if very lax and casual then probably ok...if not then probably something better done in private.
Mylissa
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2003 at 2:26pm
I think if you have some privacy, it's okay to brush or comb your hair at work. Even if you don't have an office, but have a cubicle, it is probably okay because a cubicle does afford some privacy. If you are a receptionist it's probably not a good idea to comb your hair at your desk because receptionists usually don't have much privacy at work - they are usually situated at an open desk in the front of the office.

As far as the subway goes, I don't see anything wrong with combing your hair there. As long as it's not causing your hair to flip or fling onto anyone sitting right next to you I don't see any big deal. The subway is not a professional environment like work. Also, you see people powdering their noses and putting on lipstick on the subway and many other places.

Caramia
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2003 at 6:11am
As long as the comber doesn't have lice or dandruff, then I do not see why anyone would object.
phil
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2003 at 3:02pm
It depends on if your flicking dandruff on your work I suppose! Maybe it's not okay if you do it all the time, but it's not like you're dying your hair in work. It also depends on if you're co-workers do, cause if lots of people do something it's more acceptable.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic