Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not liking the fashionable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not liking the fashionable
    Posted: October 21 2003 at 5:04am
I have discussed the issue of conformism
on these boards and would like to ask a
question in order to further study this
issue. I would like you guys to give me
specific examples of:

1) times in the past when some hairstyle
was fashionable but you decided AT THE
TIME that you didn't like it.

2) times in the past when you got a
hairstyle not so much because you thought
it looked good, but because your stylist
convinced you to, or you wanted to look
"like everyone else". Did you regret it
afterward, or were you just happy to be
fashionable for the sake of fashion - and
did you laugh about the style in later years
(I bet many people laugh about what they
did in high school)?

Since people seem to think, as an old
saying goes, that "the present fashion
is always handsome", I would be interested
in seeing how many people do not let their
tastes be swayed by whatever is "in" at
the moment.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 5:33am
I can't recall ever getting a certain style because it was fashionable. I do remember once using that as an excuse, though; a stylist was trying to get me to grow my hair, but I didn't want to, so I told her I'd heard short hair was coming back into fashion. *shrugs* I dunno if it really was or not, but I got what I wanted, so I was happy.
Oh, and styles that are fashionable but you don't like them at the time, well, I always thought Jennifer Aniston's hair was ugly. . . and those really long, straight, middle-parted styles people have been wearing a lot the past few years? I despise those more than almost anything else :-P . But as a child in the '80s, I have to admit I really admired all the girls in my school with bobs. Even though I utterly hate bobs now (so boring! and they're just long enough to get in the way, but not long enough to pony, so they annoy me :-P ) I really liked them at the time.
More awesome than a manatee!
Mr. Happy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 6:59am
This isn't quite the situation you describe, but on the same track:

I am a white male consultant in his 40's. My clients are successful business people, lawyers, etc. EVERYONE I work with has conservative, neat, short haircuts.

I am in the process of growing my hair long for the first time in my life. It is several inches long now, and I am going through the painful process of learning how to "style" my hair in the morning. I am also trying to figure out what kinds of hair goop I need to use, since for the last 40 years all I ever needed was whatever shampoo was on sale.

And yes, I am getting that (still subtle) pressure to cut my hair. Let's see what they say when it is longer...

Mr. Happy
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 9:57am
During the early 80s in London, the punk styles were being overtaken by the new romantic look. New romantics had fluffy, curly big hair for the girls (and various versions of the mullet for boys).
I was at art college at the time and all these fresh influences washed over me like a tide.
Although most of my fellow students conformed to the new fashion by having perms etc, I was not at all enarmoured of the trends.
Furthermore, I have thick, black, straight hair and was not interested in adopting a look or style that (a) I didn’t identify with and (b) if I had liked it would mean using harsh chemicals and constant effort to maintain. Something I did not care to do.

About 4 years ago, I went to a hairdresser and asked him to cut my hair. It was just touching my earlobes and I wasn't used to having hair that long!!
The hairdresser was Mr Trendy and although I knew that, I was in a hurry and too tired to care about what he did to my hair as long as it meant I didn’t have to think about it or care for it – something short and easy to maintain was what I asked for.
Well – he went crazy with his scissors.
He was moving his arms around a lot and working his hands through my head quite roughly. I thought it was unnecessarily dramatic at the time but gave him leeway because he obviously considered himself an “artiste”. His cutting seemed very random, but I just waited to see the result.
And what were the results? Awful. I went home and for the first time in many years considered my image in the mirror.
Yes – I was now fashionably styled. But the hair on my head was disassociated from the person it was attached to.
I could not relate to the “messages” that hairstyle was sending.
I felt paralysed for a couple of hours, not knowing whether to go back and ask for another cut or to go to another hairdresser. I was now more tired then when I had stepped into the salon and upset as well. So I picked up my kitchen scissors and butchered the cut. I cut my hair very, very short to remove all trace of that style.
Then I washed it a few times very vigourously to eliminate the smell of the wax that he had put into it.

I can’t describe to you how I felt both relieved and horrified at the end of that day.

Conclusion: Fashion is someone or some groups’ idea of what is temporarily tasteful. These people and their ideas (whatever the artistic and commercial motive) are nothjing to do with me. The are external and incongruent to who I am. I am not interested in anything they do and say and they have no influence upon me whatsoever.
Uzi

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 5:07pm
1. I never liked the Jennifer Aniston thing either. Also I haven't ever gone for a fashionable style deliberately. If long hair's in, it's in. I don't care. I haven't gone for one of those silly flicky out bob things like Dido etc. made popular. One look at Judy Finnigan is enough of a deterent for any sane person, IMO.

2. I don't go to salons. Don't trust them- I've heard more than enough stories thank you very much. My mum always did my hair for me until I was old enough to do it myself. For about three years no-one but me has been allowed near my hair with any sharp impliments.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2003 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by enfys enfys wrote:

I haven't gone for one of those silly flicky out bob things like Dido etc. made popular. One look at Judy Finnigan is enough of a deterent for any sane person, IMO.

Hi enfys,

You reminded me of a recent near-encounter. I was sitting in the lobby of a building one weekday waiting for a lunch buddy. In walked a woman, attractive in all regards except for the style you describe (only worse -- very short and flipped up in back to look like a reverse duck bill). I thought to myself, "what on earth possessed her to want to wear her hair like that?" I contemplated asking her, "excuse me, where did you have your hair done?" and then calling the BBB right then and there, "yes, I'd like to issue a complaint against the xyz salon..." But I wisely chose not to do so. Instead, I unwisely decided to share this here!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2003 at 11:16am
Because my hair is fine and thin I have never been able to wear the fashionable styles. I don't worry much about it now although it used to cause me a lot of anguish. I have a hairdresser who understands my hair and me and he cuts and colors it so I don't have to fuss with it much. That is what matters most to me. As long as it looks attractive and kind of neat (I am not a fan of bedhead) I am happy with it.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
orbital View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orbital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 4:30pm
1) times in the past when some hairstyle
was fashionable but you decided AT THE
TIME that you didn't like it.

Back in the early 90's, I used to have my hair layered around 3 inches all over, collar length at the back, to my ear lobes at the sides and eyebrow length at the front. The fashion then evolved to having the ear line slowly going to half-way up the ear, then 3/4's up the ear and then finally to a diagonal line that just covered the ear. On several occasions I'd ask for a trim, and the stylist would give me one of these styles, until I cottoned on to what was happening and specified the actual length I wanted the sides.

(I still have my hair cut collar length/eyebrow length/earlobe length) despite the attempts of the UK hair industry :)
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2004 at 11:38am
Allow me to philosophize a bit more on this subject and ask a question to all who can relate to it. There are not a few people out there who laugh today at how they wore their hair in the '80s (mullets, mall bangs, big curly sprayed hair and so on). If you're one of those, why do you laugh now yet once were presumably nonchalant about the style (back then)?
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2004 at 12:37pm
I've never worn a hairstyle I didn't like.
When I was a teenager I wore long staraight hair, and it looked good then and it would look good now.
Then I got a bob cut. The same thing, it looked good then and it would look good now.
And now that I'm 27 going on 28 years old, I wear an attractive short pixie. It would look good in any era.

I have never worn corny or terrible looking hairstyles like mullets or puffed up big hair or any of that. They looked stupid then and they look stupid now, those kinds of hairstyles never look good.

A good hairstyle is like good music. The great classical symphonies, jazz, and classic rock music, the best of those styles of music, still sound good today. The best music of the present will sound good ten or twenty years from now.
The same with hairstyles. There are some very classy hairstyles from the 1920s, 1930s,1940s, 1950s, etc. that still look good. Some hairstyles from that era look less good. Same with clothes.

If you have good taste in music, fashion, or clothes, all of that stuff, the best of it, is good in any era. The bad stuff isn't.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 4:29am
I've never had any of those styles, but I'd have to guess people laugh at them now but didn't then because at the time they were considered cool. They laugh now because those styles aren't considered cool anymore. The same thing happens with clothes-- what's high fashion one year might be laughed at as ridiculous the next, just because it isn't cool anymore. Once fashion cycles around and the ridiculous styles are in again, like the way some people now wear floppy '70s-inspired hairstyles again, then it's considered cool again and nobody laughs.
More awesome than a manatee!
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:45pm
kool :)
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2004 at 12:11am
nice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic