Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Art Project about Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
msanniebody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msanniebody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Art Project about Hair
    Posted: January 25 2004 at 6:48pm
I'm an art student and I'm doing a project addressing society's obsession with hair, as part of an installation dealing with the body. It's been really fasinating reading the opinions of so many people about the topic of hair, and I guess I will ask...does anyone have any fasinating quotes about hair, in general, that they would like to share with me? I want to write a script and i need voices representing opinions about hair and the body...
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 10:10pm
It's not just hair that people are fascinated with, it is clothes, makeup, jewelry, all sorts of fashion really.

When it comes to hair, I believe this;
that people experiment with different hairstyles until they find one they really like.

I am 27.
Until my late teens I wore very straight long hair, I'm a natural blonde, and my hair at it's longest was well past my waist, thigh length, almost knee length.
Then I got it cut into a medium/short bob cut, slightly above my shoulders, and then eventually went to a short pixie cut, and then a VERY short pixie which I am wearing now,-(1/2 inch to 1 inch long)-.

I really liked all of my hairstyles very much, each when I was wearing them, but I like my short hair now the best.
A very short pixie is easy to care for and I believe I look good in it, I am slender and petite and it suits me-(actually I'm not that slender at the moment, I'm pregnant, due in mid-April)-.
I'm staying with this style for awhile, for how long who knows,
but of all the hairstyles I have had, and I have really liked all of them, this is the hairstyle for me!
King of Leon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2004 at 3:22pm
Over the past year I have gone into experimental mode with my hair. I used to wear it in black curtains throughout school. Then I got them all cut off into short back and sides, which I kept for about 9 months. I started to realise it wasnt what i wanted. it was what society wanted. (I live in an area where Short back and sides are what boys should have. long hair isnt acceptable).

but now Ive left my school and progressed into college. Ive moved further away from home, and even thou i still live in the same area, I have mixed more with people at college who appreciate you for you and not anything else. with this in mind, i decided to grow my hair out again and start experimenting, seeing what worked and what didnt. i didnt feel the pressure of my area and school forcing you to wear what they wanted. i surcumb easy to it when i was younger but now Ive met people who have matured and are older, they are more free-willed and respect you for yourself.

after 6 months at college, ive grown my hair out into a scruffy kind of thing and its what i like now. i cant beleive i settled for what other people wanted and not what i wanted. i feel alot more comfortable with myself as a person than before. without school uniforms too, i feel freer (sp) with my clothing and can experiment with that too. when i do go out on the weekends in my home area, i do sometimes get people asking 'why you growing you hair out?' and 'get your hair cut' even thou its just to my eyebrows and over my ears. thats how bad the area is for males to experiment. ive also had the gay comment alot but i can tell you one thing, im probably the straightest person anybody will ever meet. thats just the way people judge

after all that, in conclusion. I see hair as a way to make yourself feel more comfortable. some societies put pressure on you to wear styles because of gender but other areas break the mould and people experiment. I think this also comes with age.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2004 at 10:39pm
Always defy expectations, especially those of society and parents.
More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic