Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Those who wear their hair naturally

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those who wear their hair naturally
    Posted: January 30 2004 at 4:35am
I have a question for those who do not in any way alter their hair with chemicals etc. I.E. those whose hair is 100% its natural texture and color. This is mainly an issue for women. Can you think of situations in your life when anyone (spouse, hairstylist, friends etc) tried to persuade you to dye, highlight, perm, straighten etc your hair and how you reacted toward it? Particularly, how you "excused yourself" from having it done? Have you ever felt undue pressure to submit to these practices?

And to those who do streak, dye... their hair, has anyone ever tried to convince you not to do it and what did you say?
Katie Scarlett View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Scarlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2004 at 2:17pm
I have naturally curly, dark brown hair. My ex husband wanted me to 1) straighten it and 2) dye it red. My response was calling my lawyer.

Just kidding LOL. I told him my curly hair was one of the things that made me unique, and that my dark brown hair went with the rest of my coloring. Now that I'm 36 my hairdresser has suggested coloring the ever increasing gray & I'm not against that. Probably will give in sooner rather than later.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2004 at 2:31am
*laughs* Well, as a teen-ager I used to dye my hair inky-black, which coupled with my strange, quiet personality, had kids at school comparing me to Lydia from _Beetlejuice_. Once I got tired of that and started trying to get rid of the black, I had a stylist threaten to beat me if I ever dyed it black again. I guess that counts. But since I was tired of it by then, anyway, I wasn't offended. I haven't dyed it black since then, but it's been pretty much every other shade known to man, natural or otherwise. I honestly hate my natural mousy-brown hair, especially since it's got a couple of noticeable grey streaks, so I try to keep it dyed one shade or another, no matter what people say.
More awesome than a manatee!
Reenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 12:17pm
I used to perm and color my hair quite often, but now my hair is back to its naturally straight and natural color state. I even have some gray hairs coming through! I wouldn't change it for the world. It's so shiny and healthy looking now with lots of natural red highlights. I'm just proud of myself for being able to go back to natural. And, nobody's tried to tell me to do otherwise.
Life is wonderful...when you have a cat. But even better when you have a cat and good hair!
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2004 at 5:45pm
I've never had any chemical processes on my hair, and that's how I like it. My texture is wavy, so it can go either curly or straight without too much coaxing (can achieve the look of a perm without the perm itself). I like my natural color for right now, but I will probably start coloring it once I go gray, if not sooner (I might just itch for a change). I haven't really gotten outside pressure about it; once, a friend suggested highlights, but she had just gotten highlights for the first time herself, so I'm pretty sure that she was suggesting them to anyone who'd listen.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
aFigure8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aFigure8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 8:01pm
I was graying at 19...not completely but around the face...and I got LOTS of pressure to dye it.
People would say, "Your hair is gray." in a tone that made it seem like they were pointing it out to me, as if I didn't know!
Everybody, and I mean family to complete strangers, made some sort of suggestion or remark about it. And not much of it was nice. I caved in a number of times and dyed it but always went back to its natural color because of the toll it was taking on my scalp plus with my hair growing back so fast very very resistant gray it was a big hassle to try to get it covered successfully.
I'm dyed brunette now. I caved in a few years back but it wasn't due to any comment that anybody made at the time, it was more the old voices over the years that had told me how old I looked gray while I was sitting in Florida observing about 20 senior women and their common haircolor, and I wasn't ready to be a junior member of their club yet. Plus I still had some body image issues to work out so to be brunette again took away the emphasis on my looks until I could get in shape and feel better.
I think there is such a stigma attached with premature gray but I'm ready to show the world how beautiful silver can be on anyone, especially a tan fit 30something. By the looks of my roots last touchup, I'm going to be completely silver, probably white around the face.
Helicala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helicala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 9:07pm
A boyfriend of mine was "petting" me and got a look at my roots. I colour my hair red and my roots are dark brown. He said he liked my roots, my natural colour. I explained to him that even though the root part of my hair is very dark, it would, if i were to grow it back out, only get lighter and lighter brown towards the ends. But this guy was all into the natural thing. He didn't really like hair chemicals or makeup. Oh, well. At least I knew he liked me for my mind.
Dawn D. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 5:48pm
Years and years ago my mother tried to get me to perm my hair (hers was). Around that time I had a freind who had a bad perm and it put me off. Lately I have become frustrated with my wavey hair never really looking like it has a style. After seeming some postings here last year I got my hair set on rollers and love the result. Now I do it once a week or so. My hair looks good (well most of the time) and no chemicals. I'm also graying around the edges but I've decided no color despite my stylist suggestion. Anyone else ever wanted a curled style but hates perms? XXX DD
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:48pm
Hair Politics rule.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 7:50pm
indeed the HP rule
nygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 10:36pm
I keep my hair natural. Haven't done anything chemical to it for years. I'm even keeping the grays that are coming in (at 36..snif)!

Kathy
I bought some batteries, but they weren't included.
.....Steven Wright
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2004 at 4:12pm
Awesome to read everybody's responses on this... Thanks Duke for the great topic. I wear my hair natural too-- here is a list of things my hair has NEVER been subjected to: curling irons, flat irons, crimp irons, color, backcombing, rubberbands, french barrettes, perms, relaxers, mousses, hairsprays, pomades and waxes. molded plastic combing: maybe 6x as a child, and same with brushes. Blowdrying: maybe a dozen times as a child but I always resisted it so it never happened much... oh, and gel a few times in the first grade.

Friends tell me "Oh, can I style your hair with... xyz?" or "I have a straightener if you want me to do your hair...?" and I just worm my way out of it by changing the subject or offering to do their hair, or just explaining that I like my "virgin hair" just the way it is. As for dyes, it never really appealed to me and others never really ask. They get used to my untrusted-people-invading-my-hairspace-and-haircare-routine paranoia.

Anais ======(: )
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:47pm
Rockin ur hair natural is the key.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 4:16am
I do all sorts of stuff to my hair. bleach - color - extensions, you name it. I believe hair is just an accessory, like clothes, makeup, and nailpolish.

I'd have people ask "why dont you just let your hair be"

simple really.

because I dont WANT to :)

kudos to wearing your hair the way you WANT, despite what others think, weather that be to wear it natural, or dye it blue

(edited cause I cant spell for beans)
SummerM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SummerM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 11:15am
Quote udos to wearing your hair the way you WANT, despite what others think, weather that be to wear it natural, or dye it blue

I completely agree
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic