Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

problems for longhaired women at work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problems for longhaired women at work
    Posted: May 20 2004 at 2:54am
This would be a rarer problem than men wearing long hair in certain professions, but I've heard of places where women are discouraged from wearing their hair long. This doesn't seem to be much of a problem today, but has anyone had the experience of being berated at work for having long hair - even though you weren't a guy?

I would imagine this happened more 20 or 30 years ago when women were still struggling to in traditionally male professions and tried to "look like men".
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2004 at 4:46am
There are some careers where employees are expected to project a polished, professional image, and extremely long hair projects a little-girlish rather than professional image, to a lot of people. So women in such professions tend towards more conservative styles. But I don't think a long-haired lawyer or corporate exec would be berated for having very long hair if she kept it ponytailed or otherwise held back in a tidy manner. *shrugs* Even if it's down I don't know that it would be a problem as long as it were tidy-looking, like Camryn Manheim played a lawyer very convincingly all those years even with her extremely long hair that she usually wore down. Maybe part of it just depends on the overall image you project?
More awesome than a manatee!
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 5:17pm
I think really long hair makes a woman look unproffesional because people think of it as looking too sexy for an office environment.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 7:49pm
I think maybe the Captain is suffering from cabin fever! Longhaired women to professional? It's those snappy crop-haired types you should be watching out for! They are actively bucking the trend - starting with the hairstyle, ending with taking your job! Mark my words, I've been there...
phil
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2004 at 12:36am
Sounds like a good incentive to be one of the short-haired girls, then :-) .
More awesome than a manatee!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2004 at 11:09am
Umm... you might want to check your eyes, Phil. Re-read what CJ wrote.

Here's my take on the matter: Long hair in the office is not unprofessional. What is unprofessional are the people who cannot look beyond the appearances of others, and find themselves incapable of focusing on their own work.

Accusing long-haired women of being unprofessional is akin to "blaming the victim."
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2004 at 6:13pm
I had many careers in my life and I never had problem wearing my hair long.
Although it can create conversation at times like the other day, one of my hair strands happen to be on one of the male supervisor's shirt lol. Yet he never even came close to me. Luckinly noone thinks it as being weird and I haven't had a phone call from someone's wife yet! lol
dianefromcanada
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2004 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by phil phil wrote:

I think maybe the Captain is suffering from cabin fever! Longhaired women to professional? It's those snappy crop-haired types you should be watching out for! They are actively bucking the trend - starting with the hairstyle, ending with taking your job! Mark my words, I've been there...

What the hell are you talking about?
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2004 at 7:23pm
What do you mean, what do I mean?! Look around you, Cap! See a sexy cropped chick - that hairstyle captivates more than us short hair fetishists - they make up an unfeasably large proportion of successful career women nowadays. And I say, good luck to them.
phil
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:32pm
I think thats right.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 7:35pm
Yep it should be
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic