Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair Acceptable For Job?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Oscar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair Acceptable For Job?
    Posted: January 09 2000 at 2:41pm
Not sure whether this is right board, but I am a 35 year old guy who works for a banking software co. I have always wanted to grow my hair into a "well-kept" ponytail but am a little worried about how it might impact my career? I guess I have several questions about hair per se. How long does it take to grow a neck length ponytail? I have hair that is fairly short right now (around my ears). Do I need to use special products to help me? I use American Crew right now & like it. If there is any advice that anyone could offer, that would be great.

Oscar
KarenShelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenShelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2000 at 4:17pm
Hi Oscar,

As far as how acceptable it is to grow your hair into a ponytail...only you can determine that. I am sure you have a pretty good idea how management feels about longer hair. If you think it would be OK you may even want to chat with your direct boss and ask if they saw any problem with growing your hair longer.

As far as how fast your hair grows....hair grows, depending on your own genetic makeup....about 1/2 inch per month. Some people grow hair slower, some grow it faster and there are some that can't grow hair for a variety of reasons.

The best idea for growing long hair is to try and make sure that you take the best care of your hair that you can. Many guys believe that it is best to never get their hair trimmed while they are growing it. I don't agree since the hair will naturally split at times. Therefore the best approach is to go for regular trims of your hair. I tend to get my hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks and that works well for me. Some people need trims lest often.

If your hair really does not split, you may be able to go for longer periods betweens trims. Explain to the stylist that you really want help growing your hair longer and don't want more than absolutely necessary trimmed off. Generally 1/8th to 1/4th inch is all that is required to shape up the hair.

What are good products? Use products that enhance your hair. If your hair tends to be dry, use a good moisturizing product. If you have dandruff, use a product that will also address the flakes.

A key piece of advice, be patient. It may seem like it takes forever, but eventually, if your body and genetics co-operate, your hair will grow.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
Hair Boutique
longhair2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhair2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2000 at 3:09am
Oscar,

Check with your company first to find out if they even have a written policy on hair length. If they don't, then you can pretty much do what you want, but just be sure to keep it clean and well-kept otherwise they may just develop a policy against your desires. I am a professional (pharmacist) and have chosen to grow my hair long because I have always wanted to and the only policy my company has is that the hair be well-kept and clean, i.e. no spikes or greasy, etc. As long as you stay within acceptable boundries you shouldn't have a problem.

The length of time to grow will vary and will depend on how often you trim it to obtain the proper shape. Consult your hairstylist and follow their advice. A good stylist will help you in achieving your desired look and may take up to a year with appropriate trimmings. Vitamins and protein supplements may help (they have helped me) and avoid things that will slow hair growth like smoking, a poor diet, stress, or too much caffeine.

longhair2000
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic