Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Won't cut my hair again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DakotaDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DakotaDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't cut my hair again
    Posted: February 20 2004 at 3:02pm
I go through these phases.
First I grow my hair real long, ( I've had it as long as thigh length before ). Then I cut it short (I've had it as short as a buzzcut ). Usually I wear it somewhere in between but I go from longer to shorter and back again.
I'm in my 30s now and I've been doing this for over 15 years!
Yesterday afternoon I got my mid-back length hair cut into a short bob cut. I like it and my husband likes it, but I have made a decision.
I am not going to cut my hair again! I am going to grow it to my tailbone or longer, maybe even to my ankles. I have straight black hair. I'm of mostly Native-American heritage.
I'm not cutting it again for years! I've decided this time to go very, very, very long with my hair.
Has anyone else decided to just grow their hair as long as it grows?
Just wondering.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2004 at 12:14am
I have a more sinister reason for long hair besides personal preference, I reinforced it wih a blood oath: To never cut it before I kill a specific person (which will never happen, since I'm not able to kill the dead) .... so if there is a spiritual world, I will do that there. And by then, I won't want to cut it :P
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
amber View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2004 at 7:12am
i have the same problem you do but ive only been doing it for about 7 years im want to grow it long but i always get it cut but now im going to stick with it and grow it as long as it grows
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2004 at 10:59am
I am growing my hair to its longest possible length. It has not been cut, trimmed, dusted etc since August 2001 and never will be again.

Like Kintaro, I have personal reasons for doing this and have tried (pretty clumsily) to express them before on these boards.

All I will say is that I am totally committed to fulfilling this goal. Nothing and no one can push me off the "scissorless path".

My best wishes (and comradeship) to everyone who is growing all the way .
Uzi

Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2004 at 2:44pm
Uzma, last time my trim went bad, but what do you do about split ends? I had to get them cut. What do you do about them? I'm someone who intends to dye his hair a lot (Already do, but I'm going to bleach it when it grows out more) so I'm not sure what I should do.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2004 at 3:16pm
Hi Vineman

What do I do about split-ends?

Well firstly I try and prevent them through the following strategies:

>No chemical treatments
>Seamless combing only
>Sleeping on silk/satin pillows
>Moisturising/oiling of ends
>Protection from the elements
>Warm/cool water only

And secondly, when they do appear, I ignore them. I am not hung up about splits at all. Once they are there I do not feel compelled to lose them and lose length despite the propoganda of hair-cutting professionals.
I am aiming for 100% natural tapered ends (not blunt cut ends) and therefore I am into the no-cut ideology (boy, that sounds serious) for life.

A split may represent a lack of care, but I think all cut hair - with the inside of the hair shaft exposed to oxidisation - is a damaged hair, and therefore, a split waiting to happen.

But that is just my opinion, of course. Hope that made sense and answered your question somewhat .

If ya gotta colour...you gotta face the damage, I'm afraid. But best of luck to you Vineman.
I suggest you read up on the "Search and Destroy" method of split-end removal if you are unable to de-program your split-phobia....!
Uzi

Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 10:11am
I could imagine Dakota and Uzma would look quite exotic with their long hair dragging on the floor.
It would make it difficult to run from the cops at the anti-war protests in London though Uzma with hair that long! Ha Ha! Just kidding Uzma.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 2:51pm
lol!
Don't ket him bother ya Uzma.

Could you imagine Uzma and myself walking down the street together, Uzma with hair to her ankles and me with my buzzcut afro?

One extreme to the other!
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by DakotaDiva DakotaDiva wrote:

First I grow my hair real long, ( I've had it as long as thigh length before ). Then I cut it short (I've had it as short as a buzzcut ). Usually I wear it somewhere in between but I go from longer to shorter and back again.
Yesterday afternoon I got my mid-back length hair cut into a short bob cut. I like it and my husband likes it, but I have made a decision.
I am not going to cut my hair again! I am going to grow it to my tailbone or longer, maybe even to my ankles. I have straight black hair. I'm of mostly Native-American heritage.
I'm not cutting it again for years! I've decided this time to go very, very, very long with my hair.
Just wondering.

Wow... sound like your hair beautiful no matter how its cut.. any chance you will post before and after pictures?
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 7:06pm
It's good to see Uzma and Hal writing on the boards again. It seems like it's been a while. Welcome back!
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 9:05pm
Uzma, if I dye/bleach my hair, does that mean I'll have to get it trimmed? Or would it be just as healthy otherwise?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 9:17pm

I am not going to cut my hair again! I am going to grow it to my tailbone or longer, maybe even to my ankles.

If only you could reverse time by just one day... if only!... How much sooner would you reach your new goal? (sigh)

I have straight black hair. I'm of mostly Native-American heritage.
Just wondering.

I might be in this category, though that was never my aim. I just haven't felt a strong urge to keep it from getting to its "terminal" length (and I think I'm close, if not already there)... even though I am thinking about trimming it to about mid-thigh (so the ends aren't super thin).

There are several who participate here who have grown their hair super long, as well as a few who aim to do so, including Uzma. (Hi Uzi!)

I wish you well in your growth quest, DakotaDiva!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 1:20pm
I feel badly for you that you came to your decision the day after you cut it. The nice thing is that chin length bobs really do look good on most women. You should keep a picture of yourself with short hair on your fridge once it grows long again to remind you of your disappointment, so you won't be tempted again.
My wife is almost 44, and she started growing her hair back at 38. Had she never cut or trimmed it since, it would be at her thighs now. As it is, it's a beautiful 27", all one length! Never lose hope. You CAN do it, Dakota! Hugs, Bob
P.S. I've yet to see an American Indian woman with anything but spectacular hair.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 6:55pm
Hi Bob -- welcome to the board!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 3:20pm
I also should note, Dakota, that my wife started from her shortest cut ever- spiky on top and tapered around. So, her nape hair might have reached her knees now, had it not been cut since! June of 2004 will be 6 years, not that I remember that haircut well or anything! (lol) And thanks for the welcome, Dave! Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DakotaDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 7:16pm
My thanks to all of you for your wonderful replies!

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 8:26pm

My thanks to all of you for your wonderful replies!

group hug!

Your will reach your goal. I just know it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DakotaDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 3:29pm
Dave, Uzma, Amber and the others.

Well I guess I couldn't resist.
After growing my hair since I first wrote this post, I went out today and got a short bob cut again.
I don't know why I did it. I really wanted to grow it long again. I love my hair in a bob hairstyle, but I like it long too.

Oh well, I'll just be happy with the style I have.
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 7:43pm
He DD - I bet it looks gorgeous. You sound like you feel you have failed in some way. Don't, it's all about enjoying yourself as you are....not as what you imagine you are supposed to be.
I bet the bob is adorable and I have heard many mention that the exposed back of the neck is very sexy.

jacqui
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2004 at 1:24pm
Oh well, as long as you like it. I think virtually everyone gets the urge to cut sometimes. It helps to have people around you who will encourage you duing funk times. Not everyone can do it alone. It's your hair, but I confess to really loving the look of Indian women with LOOO...NG hair, such as Rita Coolidge, Kate Wolf and Crystal Gayle. So hot!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic