Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don't watch "What Not To Wear" on Friday!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 12:16pm
At the risk of being flamed here, I did want to interject for those who didn't actually watch the show (I did) and are getting the descriptions second hand, what happened after the cut. Once the cut and color were done, she repeatedly said how much she liked it, how glad she was that she did it, and how thankful she was to the stylist and show that they got her to do it.

Not contradicting any of what everyone said happened before the cut, because it's all pretty much spot on, but wanted to toss in "the rest of the story". Just thought we should be fair and give the complete picture of what happened so everyone didn't think she continued to cry and just curled up in a fetal position afterward. Again, not saying I approve or disapprove of the show, but simply wanted to fill in the "after cut" portion.

Oh, and if anyone going on this show is ignorant of what it entails simply because it is called "What Not To Wear", then they are pretty darn naive.

JF

P.S. For what it's worth, as Dave said, part of the reason she looked like Sheryl Crow's older sister at the end was the great color and makeup as well. They could have easily trimmed the thin straggly ends, kept it very long, and accomplished a very similar look. That said, though, I thought the new style was very flattering on her.
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 5:33pm
JF - Iwas going to post what you said above...but I'm wasn't as brave as you! I will now tho. I saw the show last night and she said the reason she cried before the cut was because she wished her family was there to experience this special thing with her....after the cut she could not stop saying how much she loved it....and yes - I am going to be flamed...but that's ok. She looked amazing before the make up was put on. the cut and colr really made her hair look beautiful and healthy...it looked tired and stringy before....

it's just my opinion, but it seems that if I go to the short haired board...everyone bashes long hair and feel all people would look better with short hair...then I come here and it's the same thing...only it;s long hair for everyone regadless of whether it looks nice or flatters.
I think there should be a "beautiful/healthy/flattering hair - no matter the length" board. Where we can admire long and short hair without the fear of being criticized.jacqui
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Viktoria Viktoria wrote:

When will there be a show that promotes fabulous up-dos?

When the general populace (or at least, a presentation's target audience) prefers the value of long hair styling over the dramatic effect of significant haircut.

I can generally corroborate Jerky Flea's assessment of Belinda's post-cut mood; however, it isn't clear to me that it wasn't just her "putting on a brave face," followed by her objectively accepting what had already been done.

Given the show's title, one can't assume that hair won't be included because a person's hairstyle is usually described as "how they wear it."

BTW JF, I don't recall mentioning Sheryl Crow, but, uh.. thanks anyway. My personal opinion was that her hair would have been most flattering with about 6-9 inches trimmed. Had they styled it or showed her various ways to wear it, along with the new clothes, I bet she would have been a whole lot happier -- and she would have looked great too.

Jacqui, FWIW I think there's very little bashing of short hair here, or of long hair at the short board. If you want to see bashing in excessive quantities, stop by the celeb board.

I personally support decisions made free of duress. I don't find joy in people pressuring others on how to wear their hair. I seriously doubt any men in western cultures have experienced pressures to grow their hair long... and not many women, either. Certainly, the percentage of people pressured to wear or cut their hair short far exceeds opposing pressures. I believe people generally would wear their hair longer if they weren't subject to these pressures.

Didn't mean to rant, there. I'm calm, really.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 6:45am
Hairalways i second what you say and agree wholeheartedly. There should be a board to support the best hair style for each individual person.

Some people do look better with shorter hair, some better with long hair...some are lucky enough to look fantastic however thier hair is. But it would definately be nice for us to all to encourage that which looks best on each other instead of promoting one style over another blindly just because we prefer it in general.

Ive seen gals (and guys) who need to cut thier hair becasue it looks truely bad...and ive seen short styles that just look goofy with a persons face and I know they have the hair that would look beautiful on them if grown out. And some people ought to keep thier hair at a midlenght becasue it just frames their face so perfectly.

nygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 1:36pm
Hi..ok, I admit that I do watch what not to wear, but I didn't see that episode. I don't always think that the hair makeovers come out nice, but some do. What I don't like is that Nick and Carmandy (sp?) are always saying how the women need to cut their hair shorter, but Carmandy always has long hair. Why isn't she brave to cut her hair? Probably because she knows it took her a while to grow it and she doesn't want to cut it..and that it probably won't look good shorter. So, why can't they give that choice to the women that they are making over? Oh, well..just a bit of griping about that one aspect.

Kathy
I bought some batteries, but they weren't included.
.....Steven Wright
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2004 at 2:02am
Good Point Kathy,

What's good for the goose should be good for the other geese. ;)

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2004 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Erinlynn Erinlynn wrote:

Hairalways i second what you say and agree wholeheartedly. There should be a board to support the best hair style for each individual person.

Some people do look better with shorter hair, some better with long hair...some are lucky enough to look fantastic however thier hair is. But it would definately be nice for us to all to encourage that which looks best on each other instead of promoting one style over another blindly just because we prefer it in general...

On this board, those who have (or wish to have) long hair are supported in that endeavor. That includes those whom others think would look better with short hair, and even those who think that they themselves look better with shorter hair. Ours is not to question "why long?" Ours is to support their longing for long.
red blur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red blur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 1:26pm
There was an episode where the woman was adament about not cutting her hair. She had very long, very thick, very curly hair. It was rather frizzy and a bit unruly. They only trimmed it - truly trimmed with no loss of length - and then showed her a few techniques to keep the frizz down and enhance the curls. It was beautiful afterwards.

nonnymous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonnymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 5:42pm
I think she looks great!
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2004 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by red blur red blur wrote:

There was an episode where the woman was adament about not cutting her hair. She had very long, very thick, very curly hair. It was rather frizzy and a bit unruly. They only trimmed it - truly trimmed with no loss of length - and then showed her a few techniques to keep the frizz down and enhance the curls. It was beautiful afterwards.

I remember that one too, I liked the woman they were "helping". On a non hair note, my favorite part was when she compared those high heeled pointy toed shoes they're always trying to get the women to wear to a slice of pizza. Feet just aren't shaped like that.

Twanda
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 7:58pm
I remember on Richard and Judy they did that... the "stylist" said that the "Mistake"

She said she hadn't had a haircut in many many many years because she was afraid it'd be cut too short.

At the end she attempted to smile, and looked uncomofortable about doing so.
Before her hair wasn't in good condition, but she looked like someone. Afterwards she just looked like the English version of the "Soccer-mom" type.

Judy was all "Wow! I've never seen a more amazing transformation on this show!" and the poor woman said "Oh yes, I was so afraid of it being too short.."

It was very nearly a pixie. How can you GO much shorter than that?

I'd sue the****ers.

And Belinda had the most beautiful hair I've seen in a long time.
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 8:06pm
Oh yes, and to correct JF, they ALWAYS put that act on afterwards.

It's just like in those programs where they go into someone's room and very often redesign it horribly, they NEVER say "I don't like it".

Nobody DOES that on TV! And there have to be people that don't like it.

I should watch one of those TV's top 10 worst makeovers when it's on next time =P I bet they had the Richard and Judy one.

They usually go behind the scenes on it.

I guarantee you that woman will be growing her hair out and possibly changing her hair colour back.

And I rememebr some woman with gorgeous long hair wanted to go blonde; they decided she HAD to go shorter too. It's a shame, the haircut was rather dull; if all her hair had been golden bonde it would have been gorgeous.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 10:36am
mammy4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammy4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 11:56pm
I think surprise makeovers are insultingAngry it's like you are so  flipping ugly something has to be done now! and to tell you to cut your hair because you don't look the way they think you should is pure BS! It's just jealously because they cant grow long hair.

Edited by mammy4 - August 05 2008 at 12:00am
Age is just your attitude
smilinjenn71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 9:51am
"I think there should be a "beautiful/healthy/flattering hair - no matter the length" board. Where we can admire long and short hair without the fear of being criticized.jacqui"

I'm new to this board but couldn't agree more with the above statment.  I've seen short hair look out of shape and gross and I've seen long hair that isn't kept well making it appear the person doesn't really care about themselves.  Bottom line, people should wear whatever hairstyle fits their lifestyle AND is flattering to them.  I've had hair down my back and currently I have really short hair. (for the last 12 yrs) 

I'm growing my hair back out now and will probably be tempted more than once to cut it OFF!  However, the compliments of my hair long AND short were great b/c I realize that with either cut it takes time and energy to make it look good.

I'm always interested in people that put sooooo much emotion into their hair.  The reason for this, I'm not sure.  However, I'd like to say to everyone; Your hair is not YOU!  The person inside is who you are.  Love yourself for who you are and hair won't seem so incredibly important; whether it's long or short.

Yes, I'm new on this board and my intent is not to tick anyone off but this is truly how I view hair and the emotional attachments to it.

Happy Hair... whether you have long or short!!
Jenn
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 11:47pm

Based on the topic "What not to wear", there is no way that an adult woman could be force into agreeing to cut her hair.  She knew the rules and went along with them.  Yes there are times that a totally new look really makes a person look so so beautiful and other times I thought that a trim would be okay and do the same.  I find the show entertaining and informative.  I take what I need from the show and leave the rest.  It is nice to learn about stuff.

It is really not the end of the world that she got a haircut and this is coming from someone that had waist length hair to being bald and finally hair is long enough for a fancy bobbypin.  I will tell you thing, if they approach me and offer $5,000 I would be out of the door faster than a racing car meeting them.  It would be fun and a chance of a lifetime to try something new. My long hair was my signature and when I totally loss my hair people didn't know what to tell me.  People that I worked with had no idea who I was on the street when I was wearing a black, red or blonde wig depending on the day of the week and I learned that I didn't have to have long hair to be attractive as someone wanted a date when I was running around with no hair!  But to answer Jenn question, yes hair is part of us and the way we dress.  Sure our personally is really us but all the rest is icing on the cake.  I thought I would never grow it long again but I realized that I truly love long hair and eventhough many people have mentioned that they prefer short hair on me others are upset that I don't have long hair.  Jenn is totally right when she says one should love themself and the rest would be not so important.  I had to learn that important lesson.
I think sometimes we are so comfortable in our looks and we forget that change can be positive and the fun part is one can always go back.  It is not a tattoo or something that prevents us from trying.

Edited by dianefromcanada - September 01 2008 at 11:51pm
dianefromcanada
mandeloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandeloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 1:21pm
that Nick guy drives me nuts, he is like  every other hair stylist it seems.  Always ready to take a pair of scissors to perfectly enviable hair.  Why does he never just leave length and possibly cut weight out or give the woman a cut that keeps length but just looks hot, layered or styled.

I dunno, but I left many a hair stylist for the same rude comments.  Some of them just don't like long hair.  My hair isn't even that long!  I thought it was until I jumped on this forum LOL.
AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 6:11pm
I used to love watching makeover shows.  Since I have grown older and wiser about what really matters I no longer watch them.  I saw one episode of What Not To Wear where this young woman had a very unique style.  She took thrift store clothes and hand-me-downs and even stuff that others had thrown away and remade them into beautiful dresses.  Dresses which she looked beautiful in.  In my opinon she could have used a new hair style but that was only because I detest dreadlocks.  This young woman had put herself through school and was working as a counciler for troubled young people.  The makeover was done not for her but for her friends and family.  So that they would be more comfortable with the way she looked.  Evidently they couldn't see past the outside to what matters most.  I find that this is the way with most makeover shows.  They are not for the person who is being made over they are for those around them to feel more comfortable with the way they look. 
Ok, gonna get down off of my soapbox now.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic