Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don't watch "What Not To Wear" on Friday!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nyght View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nyght Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't watch "What Not To Wear" on Friday!
    Posted: May 06 2004 at 4:22pm
I saw the preview - the woman hasn't cut her hair in 30 years and they chop it off! (of course) I'm sure she'll get a trendy, choppy bob that needs tons of product - I wonder how thrilled she'll be...
1b/n/ii
4/27/36+
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2004 at 10:14pm
Hello Nyght,

I had heard about this upcoming TLC presentation.

For those who don't wish to watch the show, I support that decision.

While it promises to be unpleasant, if nothing else it might serve as example of how the populace is instructed to think about long hair, and the people who have it... as if those of us with long hair don't already know that a certain portion of the population already has a strong dislike for it. Sort of a gruesome reminder of the disrespect -- being ingrained on impressionable minds -- for our choice in hair lengths.

It takes courage to keep one's hair long in this society, what with Lox-uv-Luv guilt trips imposed by short-haired do-gooders, and cruel insults delivered -- without request -- by "friends" and "well-meaning" co-workers and family members. I say f'em all. They can take their scissors and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

I don't feel strongly about this topic. Really.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2004 at 4:39am
Reminds me of an "Oprah makeover show". I like Oprah a lot, but of course don't agree with everything on her show.

One of Oprah's employees had a sister who "hasn't had a real haircut since 1982". She/her sister's daughters) complained that she was "living in the 1960s" because of her very long hair, as if you should look the way everyone else does! Conformism I tell you! Anyway, they had been pestering her sister to get a haircut and the sister said "now I'm ready!" So they surprised Oprah's employee by taking her sister and getting a professional stylist to give her a new 'do. When he was finished, out came the sister and gave everyone a surprise. Her hair was now shoulder length with more fashioned bangs than her previous one. I actually found the new style to look good - but that's beside the point. The problem I have, regardless of the apparent satisfaction of everyone involved, was that a person with an individual style was pressured into essentially being "like everyone else". Oh and one more thing. She was given not only a cut, but a dye job, thus joining the legions of women (and men) who instead of sporting their natural colors, accept artifice and put all kinds of chemicals on their head. I was not impressed!
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2004 at 8:25pm
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2004 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by arch94 arch94 wrote:

Still long...

Still long? Not to me. Her hair length was reduced to a mere one-third of its original length.

I recorded the show, and watched the recording. Ugh. It should be retitled, "What Not To Watch."

The entire show was basically a puff piece of advertising in support of the fashion industry (and to a much lesser extent -- pardon the pun -- of the salon industry).

This is not my only gripe with the show, but... The virtue of selfless service to family was ridiculed in favor of selfishness expressed by wearing trendy clothes. A sad commentary on our society.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2004 at 11:58pm
I'm with you Dave.

The after cut is a very nice haircut but it was not needed.

I'm sorry but this is not a Gift. A gift is something you give to the other person because it's right for them and not because it's supposed to make you feel better.

That dress is nice but did a haircut have to come with it?

I did not watch this show because I saw one a few days ago that made me mad. I'm sorry but I do not think you should let people who insult you change your appearance. If that $5000 wasn't involved they wouldn't get away with it.

The only way any of this will ever stop is if you send letters to the shows or magazines or whatever.

I personally have had it. Shows like Fashion Emergency were 200% better than this show because it was people asking for their own makeovers.

Now every show,

Ambush Makeover
Style Court
How Do I Look
What Not To Wear
Talk Shows

nothing but people telling other people to change their look.

I've sat around for 4 years saying we should write letters. I'm done doing nothing.
Rubis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2004 at 6:46pm
I watched the program by curiosity.
Belinda cried a little bit but seemed to be pleased
with the final result.
It`s too bad...
What disappointed me, is when the animator
said : `your hair don`t look styled, it looks like
you don`t care `.
But, a long haired person usually takes
a great care of his hair !
And long hair is a style in itself !

So, what a disappointing story !

Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2004 at 10:32am
Well, Im pleased that her new style was still longer than I see most bye-bye-hair show cuts,,,and it did look good on her. It seems as if she wanted to do it so we should be happy for her choice.

I still prefer long hair, but thats me.

I didnt watch the show...so my question for those who have, did belinda do the makeover as a gift to surprize her sister (thus her own choice) or did her sister giver her the makeover.

For anyone with long hair who makes the commitment to cut it (and TRUELY wants to cut it) there should still be crying afterward if it was a big part of their life...BUT i dont think crying is always an indication of what they think about thier new style. Its just a goodbye and a release.

Some Im sure cry from regret, some just cry at thier past and look forward to their new self. In the end its thier choice and some are happy some are not.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2004 at 10:40am
There is an interesting phenomenon which occurs to most people immediately following traumatic events, such as MAJOR haircuts. It is that of profound relief. With all the compliments Belinda received coupled with the finality of the decision achieved, she would be expected to be all smiles. A week or more after reality sets in is when one can begin to determine whether or not a good decision has been made.
If Belinda had been my wife, and she was ambushed and badgered into getting all her BEAUTIFUL treasured hair cut, I'd be more than 5000 bucks worth of sick. Especially if Belinda ends up regretting it. What an incredible downer. Her family should be ashamed of themselves! Bob
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2004 at 10:44am
I missed your response Erinlynn. According to some folks elsewhere, Belinda at first beeged the show not to cut her hair, but they said the deal was off if she didn't. Sounds kind of abusive to me, and yes, Belinda sounds like a true long hair lover, just like us. Lots of tears to come, I'm afraid! Bob
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 6:47am
Ah, if she wanted her hair its sad that she was bullied into cutting it. Speking of bullies. I once heard from a friend that she kept her hair short until highschool becasue a bully always pulled her hair on the bus when she had it long and she was afraid to grow it out until she was away from that person. You know, come to think of it, I had a bus bully pull my hair too, but I just asked the driver to switch seats so i kept my hair.
Hippy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 12:53pm
Ugh. Those pictures make me feel dirty. I bet they even mentioned giving it to Locks of Love, too. :(
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 2:44pm
I think she looks great!!! As far as I know from the behind the scenes of this show (which is not much). They did not tie her down or threaten her life....she had the freedom to walk away too....seems that if she really didn't want to cut it, she would not have allowed herself to be put in that position...like me - no way for nobody would I go within 10 miles of that show set.

She did go though...and for what it's woth she looks 20 years younger.

jacqui
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 7:09pm
Had they kept her hair waist or butt length, the look would have been the same, only longer in back. And from what I saw, the hair in back was gorgeous! I cannot see the point of cutting that much, except for convenience; certainly not to enhance its beauty. Just my view! Bob
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Erinlynn Erinlynn wrote:

Well, Im pleased that her new style was still longer than I see most bye-bye-hair show cuts,,,and it did look good on her. It seems as if she wanted to do it so we should be happy for her choice.

I respectfully... don't feel the same way.

It seemed more to me like she resigned herself to allowing her hair to be cut.

I still prefer long hair, but thats me.

That's not just you... I think that's lots of us.

I didnt watch the show...so my question for those who have, did belinda do the makeover as a gift to surprize her sister (thus her own choice) or did her sister giver her the makeover.

The whole notion was planned by family and friends. Belinda was surprised to find a large group of people at her home upon her return from attending a church service. She was reluctant to accept their offer of $5000 for clothes -- because it was stated as being conditional upon an agreement to let them do anything to her (including her hair) -- but she relented when the group started chanting their "encouragement." (bleah)
Originally posted by hairalways hairalways wrote:

As far as I know from the behind the scenes of this show (which is not much). They did not tie her down or threaten her life....she had the freedom to walk away too....seems that if she really didn't want to cut it, she would not have allowed herself to be put in that position...

Jacqui, you are technically correct -- they did not "tie her down" or "threaten her life." More like they kept after her, pestering, "bullying" her will into submission -- until she agreed to something which she did not believe. (similar tactics imposed -- though much less harshly -- on certain "occupants" of a certain "detention" building located in certain middle-eastern country making the news these days. Ya know what I mean?)
Originally posted by hairalways hairalways wrote:

... and for what it's woth she looks 20 years younger.

The designer clothing and the professionally-applied makeup surely aided this impression...
AmandaPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 11:00pm
That's sad

The show is called "What Not To Wear"...why should it include haircuts? Aargh!
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 1:44am
This is true, if it is a makeover show in the traditional sense, then it should be identified as such. This is what "Ambush Makeover" and the like are for, but "What Not To Wear" is publicized as clothing-oriented. The first impression that you get of the show is that they help you pick out clothing that is figure-flattering (and I do have to say that confronting certain truths about your figure can be traumatizing enough as it is, or at least it would be for me. Yes, I know that [insert flaw here]; now let's spend hours fixating on it so that by the time we've found clothing that diverts other people's attention away from it, I've been made to feel like a frumpy cow because of it). But to spring full-on makeovers on people in the midst of what is presented first and foremost as a shopping spree is misleading. If you don't like the clothing, you can take it off, but you can't undo a haircut so easily. So if they're overhauling everything, they should say so up front.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 10:27pm
When will there be a show that promotes fabulous up-dos?
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 5:47am
Hmm Dave, since you described it for me I completely agree that she was bullied into it. Thats really unfair. i wouldnt want $5000 for my hair.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 6:00am
I unfortunately was flipping channels and saw the rerun of the part where the cut happens.

Here is what happened in the portion I saw.

You hear a voice in the background saying today is the big day and all this lady is doing is crying. No matter how much she may or may not have liked it afterward the fact is she did not really want that haircut. She may have smiled through the actual cutting but to be crying that much the day of the cutting says that it wasn't what she wanted. I do mean serious crying.

No one in their right mind would go and get a haircut if they were sitting at home crying that much unless they were entering the military or a parent was forcing them. But it definitely would not be by choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic