Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Physique vs Pantene

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JAY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Physique vs Pantene
    Posted: December 01 2000 at 10:15am
I just read an article about hair care products and it related the story about a person who wrote to Proctor and Gamble to ask why, when they compared both products, the ingrediants lists were identical.

I found that very interesting... Has anyone noticed this with other products? BTW - Procter and Gamble wrote back a convulted message that didn`t explain a thing.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2000 at 5:09pm
Reply to message: 16.1.1
Ahhh yes...it is called marketing. :-) As someone who has personally tested over 100 different hair care products in just the last year, you would be amazed at how similar many of the products are. In some cases one company like a Procter & Gamble will own many other companies and they will use a similar if not identical formula for the different products. I see this all the time. You will even see this in some of the salon lines...although not as often.

Yes..I would not be surprised by this at all. In fact, if you go to a grocery store and buy Kroger brand pears, in many cases you are buying Del Monte pears that just have a different label. Same is true with hair care.

Which is why looking at the labels is always such a good investment of time. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
HairBoutique.com
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
mtvsux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtvsux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2001 at 12:59pm
Reply to message: 16.2.1
Best thing for all us to do, is realize that the most highly marketed products are the worst ones. Stay away from Pantene and Physique. Also stay away from other cheap stuff like St. Ives and teh like if you love your hair.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2001 at 5:39pm
Reply to message: 16.33.1
>>Best thing for all us to do, is realize that the most highly marketed products are the worst ones.

What is the reason for that, and how do you know they`re all the worst? Estee Lauder is one of the highly marketed cosmetics company. Are their products among the worst?

>>Stay away from Pantene and Physique.

I`m not familiar at all with Physique, but have you tried each and every Pantene product? Pantene, just like nearly *all* hair care companies has some good formulations and some not-so-good formulations, so I`m not sure how you can lump the two dozen+ products all in one category. The vast majority of their shampoos (though not all) contain ammonium xylenesulfonate and have a high pH and probably aren`t recommended for anyone. However, several of their conditioners are good conditioners (though none is particularly deep-conditioning, to my knowledge).

In contrast, most of Redken`s shampoos are good, but their Hair Cleansing Creme Alternate Clarifying Shampoo contains sodium lauryl sulfate which is very drying for the hair and scalp.

Most of Paul Mitchell`s products are good, yet their Botanical Prep shampoo uses sodium C14-16, which is not only drying but can be irritating to the scalp as well.

However, the Classic Care Shampoo Regular (and also the Extra Body) Collections by White Rain is extremely inexpensive, yet it`s a great shampoo for almost every hair type that doesn`t build up on the hair at all! The majority of White Rain products are good, yet there are a few that aren`t.

Also, if you use a "good" product that`s meant for one particular hair texture that doesn`t happen to be yours, it will be the wrong product for you, but that doesn`t mean the product is not the right one for others!

So, I really think it`s impossible to say whether Company A or Company B is "good" or "bad" as a whole. Almost every single one of them makes good and bad products!

Jennifer
Suzie J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2001 at 12:20am
Reply to message: 16.34.1
Thank you!

I get so tired of hearing that "drugstore" products can`t compare to salon ones, and they`re all bad... Actually, the biggest name companies have some of the most money to spend on product research. Companies like Proctor & Gamble spend a lot of money developing their products.

I`m a self confessed hair product junkie, but I`m also label literate, which is something we should all be. You need to know which chemicals are drying, which are water-binding, and which are irritating to your scalp. Then you can make an informed choice.

Don`t get me wrong, I love to buy the latest products at the salon, but I`m not a fool. I`ve never found a drugstore smoother as good as my L`anza Strait Line, so I`ll spurge there. But why spend $20 on KMS glosser, when the exact same product is made by Citre Shine for $3? And Physique`s Hydrating Conditioner is one of the best one`s I`ve tried. My hair was damaged after my honeymoon (salt water, sun), and it was the only conditioner that made my hair feel better. Better than my Paul Brown...

Just don`t write off an entire line of products. Every brand has some good, some bad.

Take care all!

Suzie
~Sue~
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2001 at 4:42pm
Reply to message: 16.35.1
I agree. I think Pantene is an awesome shampoo! However, I alternate between Redken`s CAT and Biologe b/c I have my cos. liscense ( i don`t do hair though) and I can get them pretty cheap at the beauty supply stores!
~*~*Lisa*~*~
june25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote june25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2001 at 8:13pm
After reading the different opinions of Physique and Pantene, I decided to add my own comments. I have tried both Pantene and Physique shampoo and conditioner and needless to say, I was not very impressed with either of them. Pantene worked okay on my hair for about two weeks, then it got completely dried out and frizzy. My hair had this icky feeling on it that was not pleasant. Physique did not work at all. I had seen the TV commercials of these women with flat hair, etc and how well Physique worked for them. Their hair looked so perfect and healthy, I just had to go out and buy the shampoo and conditioner, figuring it would do the same for my hair. Boy, was I wrong! My hair looked even worse with Physique. I used it for a couple more days, then couldn`t take it anymore. I have now gone back to my faithful (cheaper) Herbal Essences. However, everyone`s hair is different.
anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2001 at 9:14am
I just have to say that my hairstylist told me that Pantene is bad for your hair because it creates a residue that covers each hair strand and damages it. Your hair will look great but it is only the residue that looks great the hair in it self is the same as before. And because of the residue nothing gets through it to the hair itself, i.e conditioners, colouring, perming and styling of any kind.
bon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2001 at 6:25am
Reply to message: 16.133.1
quote:

anne originally wrote:
I just have to say that my hairstylist told me that Pantene is bad for your hair because it creates a residue that covers each hair strand and damages it. Your hair will look great but it is only the residue that looks great the hair in it self is the same as before. And because of the residue nothing gets through it to the hair itself, i.e conditioners, colouring, perming and styling of any kind.

as a professinal i find all the commits very interesting... ther is a test you can do at home , to find out just how damageing some products are.. take litmas paper from the drug store and put your shampoo conditioner on it the higher the level the more damage it will do ... but remmeber its not allways your shampoo ..... rule of thumb among hair dressers (what you do most to your hair is the most damaging) and look up what the product ingredents means ..... pantene is vitamine e bassed theyjust make it extremly hard to find this out and balsam products have bees wax in them .... think about do you really want that on your scalp.... and your right some drug store products ourjust as good if not better for your hair.....just ask a professinal a bout products . if you cant afforrd in salon products what is the best on the market .. if they wont tell you ,.. they really arnt after your buissness just your money...... have fun people not all of us that work in hair our after your money some of us really do care and under stand you cant afford in salon products , but you still need healthy hair......
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2001 at 12:18pm
Reply to message: 16.133.1
"I just have to say that my hairstylist told me that Pantene is bad for your hair"

Pantene has at least 12 different shampoos, all with different formulations. Has your stylist looked at the labels of all of these and tried them?

When someone says Brand X is good or bad, be wary! Most brands, whether drugstore or salon, do not just make "one" kind of shampoo. They usually make several! Thus, I think it`s impossible to lump them all together for one generic statement.

Jennifer
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2001 at 12:26pm
Reply to message: 16.157.1
Hi bon,

"just ask a professinal a bout products ."

With all due respect, do you know any professional who will recommend a product that isn`t something that is sold in the salon? The profit on salon products is considerable and an excellent way to increase income. I`m not saying that salon products are any better or worse (far too many variations to make such a broad statement!), but asking the person who sells them is not really getting an unbiased opinion, do you think?

"have fun people not all of us that work in hair our after your money some of us really do care and under stand you cant afford in salon products , but you still need healthy hair......"

So I`m a bit confused. Are you saying that you feel salon products are the best? Isn`t that like saying that the shampoos at Wal-mart are better than the ones at Target?!

I really think that unless people start discussing very specific formulations, it`s impossible to discuss what`s helpful or what`s harmful for the hair. As I mentioned in another post, most companies do not make just "one" shampoo! Some formulations may be superior and others inferior -- from the very same brand. It really just all depends.

Jennifer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic