Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chemicals in shampoos and conditioners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thesu View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chemicals in shampoos and conditioners
    Posted: April 30 2001 at 3:17pm
Hi guys,
After reading the Pantene vs. Physique thread, I was wondering explain in further detail what certain chemicals do to your hair. I`ve noticed that sodium laurel sulfate is more drying that ammonium laurel sulfate (the active ingredient in shampoos). I`ve also noticed that cetyl alcohol, a main chemical in Suave conditioners dries out my hair, although it smooths flyaways. What other experiences have you guys had?

Jessica ;-)
Julia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2001 at 4:11pm
Reply to message: 16.63.1
quote:

thesu originally wrote:
Hi guys,
After reading the Pantene vs. Physique thread, I was wondering explain in further detail what certain chemicals do to your hair. I've noticed that sodium laurel sulfate is more drying that ammonium laurel sulfate (the active ingredient in shampoos). I've also noticed that cetyl alcohol, a main chemical in Suave conditioners dries out my hair, although it smooths flyaways. What other experiences have you guys had?

Jessica ;-)

I think that ammonium lauryl sulfate in shampoo strips color.
Cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol--I assume they are all pretty much the same--is supposed to be an emollient, so they say. I find it has the same effect that you describe. The first two applications of a conditioner with this as the second ingredient after water, and my hair is fine. Like clockwork, from the third application on, my hair is drier and has a lot more static.
Look at your conditioner bottles, though. You have to look far and wide to find a conditioner that does NOT list alcohol as the second ingredient after water (or if it`s Aveda, the second ingredient after an herb mixture that substitutes for water). And this applies to salon products as well as drug store. I can`t use silicones either. I have found two conditioners so far without silicones, and with alcohol mid-way down the list of ingredients: Kenra Color Care Conditioner, and KMS Daily Maintenance Conditioner (unfortunately the KMS makes my hair flat). I think this generation of hair products, frankly, is vastly inferior to the products they replaced. The current hair products seem to dry out hair, and build up on hair. Which, of course, creates the need for more hair products, such as leave-in conditioners (remember when Aveda Elixir was the only one? What did we do?) and clarifying shampoos. I also think this generation of conditioners is inferior to the ones they replaced (and some have been reformulated but appear in the same containers, such as Aveda Intensive Conditioner, which formerly was a truly extraordinary product, but was reformulated three or four years ago into an inferior product).
energy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2001 at 3:37pm
Reply to message: 16.66.1
quote:

Julia originally wrote:
Reply to message: 16.63.1
quote:

thesu originally wrote:
Hi guys,
After reading the Pantene vs. Physique thread, I was wondering explain in further detail what certain chemicals do to your hair. I've noticed that sodium laurel sulfate is more drying that ammonium laurel sulfate (the active ingredient in shampoos). I've also noticed that cetyl alcohol, a main chemical in Suave conditioners dries out my hair, although it smooths flyaways. What other experiences have you guys had?

Jessica ;-)

I think that ammonium lauryl sulfate in shampoo strips color.
Cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol--I assume they are all pretty much the same--is supposed to be an emollient, so they say. I find it has the same effect that you describe. The first two applications of a conditioner with this as the second ingredient after water, and my hair is fine. Like clockwork, from the third application on, my hair is drier and has a lot more static.
Look at your conditioner bottles, though. You have to look far and wide to find a conditioner that does NOT list alcohol as the second ingredient after water (or if it's Aveda, the second ingredient after an herb mixture that substitutes for water). And this applies to salon products as well as drug store. I can't use silicones either. I have found two conditioners so far without silicones, and with alcohol mid-way down the list of ingredients: Kenra Color Care Conditioner, and KMS Daily Maintenance Conditioner (unfortunately the KMS makes my hair flat). I think this generation of hair products, frankly, is vastly inferior to the products they replaced. The current hair products seem to dry out hair, and build up on hair. Which, of course, creates the need for more hair products, such as leave-in conditioners (remember when Aveda Elixir was the only one? What did we do?) and clarifying shampoos. I also think this generation of conditioners is inferior to the ones they replaced (and some have been reformulated but appear in the same containers, such as Aveda Intensive Conditioner, which formerly was a truly extraordinary product, but was reformulated three or four years ago into an inferior product).

Sounds like you went through the same thing I have, I decided all natural was the only way to go, check out www.aubrey-organics.com. He gives a very good description of what those chemicals in shampoos do to hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic