Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alcohol Free Hair Spray

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ALiona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALiona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alcohol Free Hair Spray
    Posted: October 01 2002 at 10:10am
Could anybody please recommend an alcohol free hair spray (if there is such a thing)?
Thank you.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2002 at 1:26pm
Yes there is....but I had to search high and low for it! Sally Beauty carries Ion Anti-Frizz Alcohol Free hairspray. It`s not too expensive....$5 for 8 ounces which lasts a heck of a long time. It`s got a good, firm hold but brushes out easily without too many flakes. Hope this helps.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2002 at 9:18pm
Nexxus also makes one that is great but the one Lyris suggested probably is just as great and alot less expensive.

BTW, can someone possibly list the type of alcohols that are okay for the hair. I am making myself crazy because I cant find my list and I noticed Alcohol SD 40 on one of my fav products and I believed that type is very drying to the hair. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer their help!
Aliona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aliona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2002 at 12:51pm
Thank you both for your suggestions!
I went to Sally Beauty Supply and bought the ION hair spray. I really like it.
Thanks again!

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2002 at 1:04pm
Aliona--glad you like the hairspray. Me too. :-)

Lissa--good question. Cetyl, stearyl, cetearyl alcohol are just fine for your hair. Good thing too, because you`ll find them in virtually every conditioner on the market. They thicken the product and make your hair shiny and more managable. SD Alcohol 40, on the other hand, can be somewhat drying, since that is its primary purpose--to make the styling product dry quickly, therefore freezing in place your style. However, some stylists believe that since the actual alcohol evaporates so quickly it isn`t on your hair long enough to damage it. But I`m still wary of using it, so I don`t. Hope this helps girl!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
JS View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2002 at 5:00pm
The REAL reason why most American hairspray is now alcohol-free has nothing to do with hair or the effects of alcohol on it.

A few years ago, California passed an anti-pollution law (the same one that theoretically rendered backyard barbecues illegal) that banned alcohol-containing hair products on the bizarre theory that they were contributing to air pollution. The net result is that most brands sold in America ended up becoming alcohol-free because the manufacturers didn`t want to bother with having one formula for California and another formula for the rest of the country. To prevent minor brands that might have been content to simply sell everywhere but California from capitalizing on their decision to abolish alcohol entirely, all the major companies ran major marketing campaigns to convince consumers that alcohol-free = better.

I think the law itself that started the whole thing ended up getting thrown away (or at least the part banning alcohol-containing hair products), but now the manufacturers have spent SO MUCH money promoting alcohol-free products they wouldn`t DARE to switch back.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2002 at 5:19pm
Note: Most hairspray is NOT alcohol-free! Just take a quick glance at the ingredient lists on each bottle and you`ll see SD Alcohol-40 on 95 percent of them. You have to search high and low to find the products mentioned above. Now aerosol products are a different story in regards to the pollution laws.
Kateyez37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateyez37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 11:04pm
I was actually going to ask this same question, but since I'm a fairly new member, I've been going through older posts (and have been resurrecting them) and have found a wealth of information here.

I'm going to try the hairspray mentioned (Ion Anti-Frizz Alcohol Free hairspray).

Thanks so much for that information re: alcohol in hairsprays too!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic