Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Biolage vs. Biotera - please, please, please read
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Biolage vs. Biotera - please, please, please read

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AK View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biolage vs. Biotera - please, please, please read
    Posted: February 05 2003 at 6:32pm
I am wondering about the quality and effectiveness of the Biotera products. I have been using and absolutely love Biolage's Conditioning Balm. It's about the best thing I've found for my course, curly hair - BUT at $19.95 for the big jar - a bit of an investment. So - to anyone who has tried both and has an opinion - please let me know how the Biotera worked for you.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2003 at 7:29am
Hi AK,

You have hit upon one of my all-time favorite products. I LOVE--repeat, I LOVE--Biotera products. The conditioner is wonderful for dry hair and is slightly thicker than Biolage's balm. The ingredients are not identical but I have found they are comparable products.

Also of note, the Biolage moisturizing shampoo is anything but. It contains sodium lauryl sulfate, a rather drying surfactant detergent. However, Biotera's version uses the much milder sodium LAURETH sulfate, which is better for dry hair.

The entire product line has that sensuous floral smell....which just about sends me straight up to heaven. Plus it's on sale at Sally often enough, and even when it's full price it's still way cheaper than Biolage. The best thing about Sally, in my opinion, is that you can buy a product, try it, and if you aren't impressed they gladly refund your money. Love it! Good luck AK.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
ak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2003 at 10:37pm
Lyris - I went to Sally's and looked at the ingredients in Biotera's Moisturizing shampoo - and it does have sodium lauryl sulfate in it - did you mean the Biotera Revitalizing shampoo?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2003 at 7:42am
Hm.....I was pretty sure it was the moisturizing one that was SLS-free, but it's been a long time since I've used it so I certainly could be mistaken. Are you sure it wasn't sodium laureth sulfate? Either way, one of them is SLS-free and very mild. Hope this helps AK...have a lovely week! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
ak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2003 at 6:28pm
The moisturiizing shampoo has both sodium laureth and sodium lauryl sulfate in it. The only other shampoo I saw that they carried was the revitalizing one.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2003 at 7:57pm
Hi again AK,

That's really weird, because I went to Sally today (in Michigan) and specifically looked at both Biotera formulations. Neither contains sodium lauryl sulfate. The only thing I can imagine is that the store you visited has an old supply and that Biotera has changed their ingredients. I know *Biolage* has both sodium lauryl and laureth sulfate, but every bottle I've seen of Biotera does not. I wish I could be of more help!
AK View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 2:21pm
weird - the moisturizing shampoo I looked at definitely had both in it - maybe you're right about the old supply - I'm moving in about a week so I'll look when I get to Portland and see if the Sally's there have the s. lauryl free one
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 4:10pm
Good luck with your move AK--come back and visit us from your new home!
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 4:06pm
Yay! I hadn't visited this corner of the site but now I am so glad I did. Lyris, I asked you about good vs. bad products, especially moisturizing stuff for my bleached hair earlier in another thread. When I went to Sally they pointed me towards Biotera and I love it! I probably use too much conditioner but I love to be able to completely detangle my hair (with my fingers) in the shower before I rinse. It seems to not have the same effect as it did at first, but maybe I am just getting used to it. I definitely need to go out and get a heating cap ;-).

In regards to the shampoo, the Revitalizing shampoo has only laureth sulfate. I guess I am wondering if it is a good cleansing shampoo, since the deep conditioner does have those "cone"s. Maybe this next one is off topic, but I read that Paul Mitchell Seal and Shine is highly recommended so the moisture I get from the conditioner isn't lost when I blow dry. Do you agree or have any other suggestionss? Thanks
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 7:05pm
Hi Leslie! So glad I was able to help you; that really makes my day. I would not recommend Seal and Shine for someone with dry hair. Its second ingredient listed is SD alcohol 40, which is a denatured alcohol that can cause dryness with repeated use. Secondly, the next ingredient is sodium poylstyrene sulfonate, which can strip hair color and moisture. However, if you want a great moisturizing leave-in spray I can enthusiastically suggest a few: Bain de Terre Herbal Seal (though that might have been discontinued), Frizz Ease Fortifying leave-in conditioner (brand new and good!), the Back to Basics "Shine" leave-in and Jhirmack HeatCare.

Of all of these, my favorite is the last one, which is also the cheapest. Three bucks will get you plenty, and its this funky pink and purple color. The only place I've found it is Walmart. None of these conditioners have drying ingredients or those that would strip hair color, so I would recommend any of them if you're so inclined. Good luck Leslie! :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic