Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The very best leave-in conditioners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The very best leave-in conditioners
    Posted: May 06 2003 at 1:51pm
There are soooo many leave-in conditioners, it can get expensive to try most of them. So I am asking for results everyone has had so I can decide without spending a bundle during this quest!

I have used Herbal Essences Intensive Blends Creme Leave-in and the Leave-in Conditioner Lightweight Formula. The latter is a spray and leaves my hair "crunchy" when it dries, so I use it more when I want my hair to stay put. I don't like hairsprays or gels. The Creme stays soft, so I use it more to nourish my hair. They both smell nice.

My husband uses the Horse Mane 'n Tail, which he has been perfectly happy with, but he wants to find something new. He likes the way it leaves his hair in place without making it crunchy. And it gives it a sheen so its not all frizzy just after he washes it.

I have to find something he likes just as much! You see his ex is the one that started him on the Horse Mane 'n Tail and it's a gentle reminder of someone we both don't want a reminder of. But he told me that none of my products are good... I use Back to Basics (I don't know if they have a leave-in though), Nature's Therapy (the Un-frizz is great), and Herbal Essences (which I love).

I would love to hear reviews, good and bad on leave-ins. Drug store brands and salon brands, everything on everything.

Thanks so much!
wittils

Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 2:13pm
Hi Wittils! First, what is your hair like--frizzy, dry, fine? I ask because leave-ins can vary greatly depending upon hair type. Some are good at bulking up thin hair while others are more emollient for dry locks. (Also, if you suffer from dry hair, I wouldn't recommend using Herbal Esssences shampoo, which contains sodium lauryl sulfate and can dry out hair with repeated use.)

I have medium thickness dry hair and I love Jhirmack HeatCare, although I can no longer find it anywhere. I just started using Neutrogena Overnight therapy and so far like it a lot. Tresemme 4+4 makes a "Keratin Splash" that smells very medicinal but is fairly good for dry hair. Another decent option is the Back to Basics leave-in for shine, which doesn't smell too strongly. Finally, Aussie makes something called Hair Insurance which really made my hair feel thicker (which is why I stopped using it--my hair is much like a shrubbery to begin with.) These are all sprays and the Neutrogena and Aussie products are the only ones that smell very feminine.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 5:23pm
can you define feminine for the sexually impaired ?

I just ask this since I hate sexual labels, if strong, in what way, try to describe it a bit more, thanks, feminine or not.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 8:33pm
Sorry, forgot my political correctness. Feminine meaning very fruitfully fragranced. I mention this because wittlis said both she and her husband need to like it, and many guys simply do not like their hair smelling like a pomegranate all day. I'm just trying to help her.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 12:21am
Thanks for the replys...

Lyris, my hair is very fine and not too dry although I use Natural Instincts once in awhile. I like the Herbal Essence Clarifying shampoo, believe it or not, because it works for me. It leaves my hair and scalp feeling good. But my main stay is the Back to Basics line. Right now I use the Ginger Therapy.

But I am asking mostly for my hubby.

His hair is long and medium texture with wave and some curl. He prefers the creme leave-ins, not the sprays like I do.

But I would love to hear about any and all leave-ins that people have had good or bad results with, because I am always looking too.

Again, thanks!
wittils
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 4:12am
I have hair similar to Lyris, medium textured and wavy. I've recently fallen in love with Redken Anti-Snap. It seems to work really well as a leave-in conditioner (surprise surprise!)

I only use it in the spots that need it (for me, back of the head and ends). Its consistency is that of a thin lotion, so a little goes a long way.

I also like Jingles Spray Protein, a salon brand you see less often than ten years ago but I still love it.
[/url]

uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 8:40am
I recommend Phytotherathrie products. They were the best I had ever come across and used them to brilliant effects until I decided to go for the product-free approach.

I suggest you try the following:-

1. Phyto 9 & Phyto 7 botanical leave-ins. No cones and deep moisturization without grease.

2. Phyto Defrisant hair relaxing gel. Will straighten out waves and condition hair at the same times. Makes wavy hair progressively straighter with regular use.

You can get these products from the HairBoutique Marketplace (I think).

Good luck!!
Uzi

wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 12:08am
Thank you very much everyone!!!
sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 6:58pm
i have used aveda elixer everyday for three years now and I love it.  it doesn't weigh my hair down or dry it out.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 12:29pm

Hi Sweetpea!

How are You?!

I'm doing great! Hooray it's spring!

So anyway, I have used before the Aveda "Styling Curessence", Spray Detangler/with Morikue protein.

However, It's a bit too expensive for me now. So instead, I use a leave in spray conditioner by Suave. I do miss Aveda.

I'll have to work with my Husband on the budget, who knows, maybe, I'll try Aveda's Elixer everyday.

Thanks,..

love Katie;)

God Bless,...
Katie
sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 4:25pm
I have used aveda elixer leave-in for three years straight and I love it! It is not the best smelling conditioner but it is wonderful.
sheerblonde823 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheerblonde823 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 6:23pm
I'm a big fan of Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-in cream.  It's really weightless, and just a great basic to use daily after you get out of the shower.
whhoiskad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whhoiskad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 5:25am
Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance does it for me very time, its very lightweight and leave you hair smelling divine!
Hair Type 2a/m/ii
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 1:02pm
Sebastian Potion 9, Salerm 21, absolutly the best! They are both cream types. I also love using Redken all soft hair addictive as a leave in. That one is a spray, but OMG it makes your hair feel like silk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic