Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PM Awapuhi shampoo & conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PM Awapuhi shampoo & conditioner
    Posted: July 02 2003 at 4:38pm
I'm wondering if anyone has tried Paul Mitchell's Awapuhi shampoo and conditioner. I have been using the Suave Awapuhi shampoo, and realized that the two are NOT the same. The Suave version is cheaper, but uses harsher ammonium sulfates in the shampoo, compared to PM that uses sodium laureth sulfate. I've noticed more flyaways lately, possibly from the drying ingredients.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 8:23pm
Awaphi shampoo by PM used to be marketed for "dry hair". But I have always found it to be very drying to my highlighted, naturally curlly hair. Two years ago they changed it to a "body building " shampoo. For this purpose it is awesome!!

My husband will not use any other shampoo than Awaphi. It makes a super body wash also.

Did you know that Awaphi is the botanical name for Hawaiian white ginger. The native hawaiians would squeeze out the nector from the center of its cone shaped flower and shampoo thier hair with it. There are Awaphi farms all over the hawaiian islands which is owed by the Paul Mitchell company. If you read the label of most of PM's products you will find it listed as an ingredient.

Lyris, chime in here please if you have any more info on Awapuhi.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 5:27pm
oh dear, does this mean it will dry out my hair even more? has PM changed the ingredients so it isn't as drying, and actually nourishes hair? I'm assuming that's what you mean by "body building"...
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 10:45pm
No, they did not change the formula. They just realized that it was not moisturizing to all hair types. They did come out with Instant Moisture Shampoo and conditioner which is awesome!!! It conditions the hair without weighing it down.

I highly reccomend it!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 12:18am
Oh, I see. I'm not too concerned if my shampoo has moisture building, I just wouldn't want it to be more drying. Apparently some salons are selling a package of Awapuhi Shampoo and The Detangler together, which seems like a good combination. Any advice?
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 6:28pm
I really think you would like the Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture shampoo and conditioner.

It is really great!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 7:49am
I haven't used the shampoo and conditioner, though from the ingredients they look suitable for most hair types (nothing harsh in the shampoo, which is great.) The Moisture Mist leave-in is quite nice: it contains sodium PCA, a powerful emollient that's great for dry hair.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
jazzgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 6:14am
tried it before. i=definitely gave me fly-aways. also everytime i use it and ran my hands over my hair, i get this squeaky scary feel
"We have both lost ourselves, but sometimes we reveal the most when we are least like ourselves."
-Anais Nin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic