Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

decided to go long to short

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaisyMae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyMae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: decided to go long to short
    Posted: February 19 2004 at 1:08pm
I have decided to cut my mid back fine but thick hair off short. I have been reading this site for a couple of weeks and am going to cut it off in stages - tomorrow morning shoulder length. In the end I would like it to be very short in the back and above the ears but I don't want it extremely short on top. ANy suggestions? After the shoulder length cut how short should I go and how long between stages. I am ready for Short hair again.
TG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by DaisyMae DaisyMae wrote:

In the end I would like it to be very short in the back and above the ears but I don't want it extremely short on top. ANy suggestions?

If it would suit your face shape, then Style 4290 from the Interactive Style Selector, accessible from the hairboutique.com home page, would seem to fit that description. Good luck!
TG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 3:59pm
As far as stages go, it might make sense to go chin length a couple of weeks after you get the shoulder length cut to give yourself enough time to enjoy the shoulder length cut and make sure you're ready for the next one. Then, if you still want to go shorter after that, another couple weeks would seem to be a sensible wait.

However, you sound like you're pretty sure you want short hair, so, maybe, you should just go ahead and take the plunge! Enjoy.
wozziewoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wozziewoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2004 at 4:52pm
Well, I'm not really sure what kind of a style you should end up with, I'd love to help you out though. However, I'd also like to offer a suggestion. I don't want to dissuade you if you've definitly decided what you want to do, but if you know you are definitly going to end up cutting your hair short, might I suggest donating it. If you cut your hair short all at once, I'm sure it would be long enough to send into Locks of Love or Wigs for Kids. If you have other reasons for wanting to go in stages that cool too, but whatever, you decide, post pictures so we can see the results. I'll try to suggest some styles for you along the way if you want.
DaisyMae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyMae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 10:41am
I did my first cut this morning right above my shoulders. My husband and hairdresser both are thrilled I'm ready to go short since I wear it up all the time. They both agreed also since i wear it up completely off my neck I should cut it really short in back so please send pictures of short cuts with very short backs or make suggestions. Thanks for the suggestions.
P.S. I really liked the one suggestion already sent
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2004 at 3:22am
Well, there was Demi Moore's hair in _Ghost_, that was very short at the back but longer up top, and looked really pretty on her. I'm no sure if it would be considered "classic" now or just "dated", though.
I don't think there's any set length for the stages, or length of time to keep them. Just whenever you feel ready to go shorter, you can go do it, and go as short as you're ready to at the time. You shouldn't feel trapped into a set schedule of cuts if you're enjoying one you've got already.
More awesome than a manatee!
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 7:17pm
Hi Daisy.
I guess I'm not a huge fan of the real short sides and long on top look. To me it just looks too young and I'm a 33 year old with two kids and a man so I really am not looking for a "punk" look, although if you are young I know you might want to experiment.
Unless of course you were refering to a typical pixie look, a little longer on top but not to an extreme. Pixies can be adorable.

I'm African-American and wear a very short afro, evenly cut all over my head. I like a neat, complete short crop hairstyle myself.

Best of luck to you young lady with whatever you are going to attempt to do with your hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic