Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If you want hairstyle help...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you want hairstyle help...
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:11pm
Hiya,I've noticed several people requesting hairstyle help and suggestions, yet getting very few, if any, responses. Since I often respond to these types of posts myself, I can tell you that the amount of detail you include in your request makes a big difference. So that those asking don't get frustrated because no one seems to want to help you, here's the type of stuff you need to include:- Current hairstyle, color, and length: Most already include this, but that's really just a starting point.- Hair texture: Straight or curly? Thick or thin?- Face shape: Round? Oval? Don't know (check the guide at the end of this message)- Styling time: How much time do you want to spend on the style? 20 minutes? Wash and go?- Length preference: What's too short or too long?- Style reference: If you've seen a celebrity or type of hairstyle that you like and want something similar or at least in the ballpark. Again, helps to give a reference point.- Likes, Dislikes: Kind of a catchall. For example, you've had bangs and hate them. If your hair is too short in the back, your hairline cowlicks do goofy things. You hate layers with a passion. That sort of thing.- Picture: Hey, if you've got one online, that makes it a lot easier.Hope this helps. If you've already posted asking for advice and haven't gotten any, try including some of this info and I will almost guarantee you'll get more and better suggestions.As usual,JerkyFleaFace Shapes:Your stylist can help you determine which of these six common face shapesmatch your features. Or, slick back your hair, and use a bar of soap to trace your face on the bathroom mirror. Either way, remember that the following style hints are suggestions foreach face shape - not rules!OVAL: Slightly narrower at the jawline than at the temples,with a gently rounded hairline. Try a variety of styles.Most any style looks great on you! Avoid covering up your "perfect" features with heavy bangs, or too much forward directed hair.RECTANGULAR: Long and slender, about the same width at foreheadand just below cheekbones. May have a very narrow chin or a very high forehead. Try short to medium lengths, fullness at the sides of your face (not on top), or soft wispy bangs. Avoid too much length - your face will look even longer! Also avoid height or teased styles that lengthen your face, and center parts. Try side parts or pulling hair straight back.ROUND: Full-looking face with a round chin and hairline.Widest point is at the cheeks and ears. Try short styles with a swept-back direction; or longer-than-chin-length hair. Also try an off-center part, or styles with fullness and height at the crown. Avoid chin length hair with arounded line that mirrors face's circular shape. Also avoid center parts, short-short crops, and fullness at the side or ears.SQUARE: A strong, square jawline and usually an equally square hairline. Try short-to-medium length hair; especially with wave or roundness around face. Also try wispy bangs, off-center arts, and height at the crown. Avoid long straight styles that accentuate square jawline. Also avoidstraight bangs or center parts.HEART-SHAPED: Face is wide at the temples and hairline,narrowing to a small delicate chin. Try chin-length or longer styles,side parts, or swept-forward layers around the upper face. Also try gently wispy bangs. Avoid short, full styles that emphasize upper face. Also avoid height at the crown, and severe slicked-back looks.TRIANGULAR: Reverse of the heart-shape - a dominant jawlinewith narrowing at the cheekbone and temples. Try shorter hair that balances prominent jawline, and styles that are full at the temples, and taper at the jaw. Avoid long, full styles that drawattention to jawline. Also avoid centerparts and too much height at the crown.I would actually disagree a bit with the last one, since fullness below the jaw (unless it's very prominent) actually distracts from it. E.g., Tori Spelling.
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic