Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Short Haircut!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Short Haircut!!
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:16pm
Hi, I have finally decided that I am going to go ahead and cut my hair shorter for the first time. I've agonized about this a lot. Incidently, my brown hair is collarbone length and wavy and kind of thick. I bought th IStyle Makeover software and it's great. Here's my prob, I look cute in a lot of short 'dos and I'd really like to try a style that cut to my cheek level and layered around. But, this would be quite drastic. Should I go gradually and try a chin-length cut first? Plus, let's say I eventually go cheek length, and get enough courage to go really short like a pixie, how long would it take to grow a pixe, with the layers and all, back to the chin length if I didn't like the look. PLease give me some suggestions. Thanks.
Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:16pm
> Hi, I have finally decided that I am going to go ahead> and cut my hair shorter for the first time. I've> agonized about this a lot. Incidently, my brown hair> is collarbone length and wavy and kind of thick. I> bought th IStyle Makeover software and it's great.> Here's my prob, I look cute in a lot of short 'dos and> I'd really like to try a style that cut to my cheek> level and layered around. But, this would be quite> drastic. Should I go gradually and try a chin-length> cut first? Plus, let's say I eventually go cheek> length, and get enough courage to go really short like> a pixie, how long would it take to grow a pixe, with> the layers and all, back to the chin length if I> didn't like the look. PLease give me some suggestions.> Thanks.if i was you i would go gradually to get to the length you like.you might not like it real short at first is why i said go bit at a time.
grey View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:16pm
> if i was you i would go gradually to get to the length> you like.you might not like it real short at first is> why i said go bit at a time.BUT, sometimes a big change like that could be good. it makes you feel refresh and brand new. take the time and go to a real stylist and sit down and talk to her/him about how your unsure and need help desiding. they can give you the best tips and though it might cost more then a place like 'superclips' (I wouldn't pay less them 25$ myself) it's worth every dime. they can also show you how to style your hair and give you tips on keeping it fab.Grey
Todd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:16pm
Can you post any pictures of you with your current length in contrast to the pixie length you want? Before you decide on anything please get a consultation because if you don't have the right face shape than you might be stuck with a crop u do not want for months on end. If you have a photo please post so we can guide you in the right direction.
Andrea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:16pm
In my experience I had long brown straight hair down a couple inches past my shoulders and cut it to my chin. Everyone said it looked good but I hated it so much and envied all who could tie their hair back. I took about a year and a couple months to grow it to a normal length. I thought, I'd never go short again. And I wouldn't have if my hairdresser didn't convince me to. Anyways two years after that terrible cut (this september) I cut it even shorter than my chin and I love it. Like Grey said, a big change makes you feel good. I feel like a different person. I don't ever want to go long again, short hair is so much easier. I think in the first case it was a big shock for me cause my hair was so long but it also helps to find the right cut. I hope my experience will help you in making your decision!!Andrea
Andrea
Genevieve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genevieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:17pm
> Hi, Liz-My advice would be to go ahead and cut it short. I recently cut my wavy, past-shoulder length hair very short, only about a half-inch at the longest, with the back almost shaved. I love it, and its much easier to maintain- I barely have to do anything with it. It was shocking at first to see all my hair on the floor under the salon chair, and even more shocking while it was being cut, but I don't regret it at all. I think very short hair can look very sexy on a woman. Besides, its a self-esteem booster to change your look. Hope this helps you.
Kate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:17pm
> Hi, I have finally decided that I am going to go ahead> and cut my hair shorter for the first time. I've> agonized about this a lot. Incidently, my brown hair> is collarbone length and wavy and kind of thick. I> bought th IStyle Makeover software and it's great.> Here's my prob, I look cute in a lot of short 'dos and> I'd really like to try a style that cut to my cheek> level and layered around. But, this would be quite> drastic. Should I go gradually and try a chin-length> cut first? Plus, let's say I eventually go cheek> length, and get enough courage to go really short like> a pixie, how long would it take to grow a pixe, with> the layers and all, back to the chin length if I> didn't like the look. PLease give me some suggestions.> Thanks.I tried that once. I hated it and it took forever to grow back
Rob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:17pm
> In my experience I had long brown straight hair down a> couple inches past my shoulders and cut it to my chin.> Everyone said it looked good but I hated it so much> and envied all who could tie their hair back. I took> about a year and a couple months to grow it to a> normal length. I thought, I'd never go short again.> And I wouldn't have if my hairdresser didn't convince> me to. Anyways two years after that terrible cut (this> september) I cut it even shorter than my chin and I> love it. Like Grey said, a big change makes you feel> good. I feel like a different person. I don't ever> want to go long again, short hair is so much easier. I> think in the first case it was a big shock for me> cause my hair was so long but it also helps to find> the right cut. I hope my experience will help you in> making your decision!!> AndreaHi everyone,I am ahairdresser from uk and if you need to know anything about Haircuts just leave a message for me on the board.
nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 11:18pm
>I think you should go ahead and cut it really short, most people look attractive with short hair. In May I shaved my head three-eighths of an inch but before I shaved it my hair was shoulder length and it was a dark blonde. My hair has grown fast and it is now growing out and it is still short but it is much easier to maintain. I you have a round face I say go with short, blunt, chunky layers. If you have a square face go with a rounder cut, either way I am positive that you will be happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic