Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2005 Hair Resolutions - How are you doing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2005 Hair Resolutions - How are you doing?
    Posted: January 14 2005 at 11:05am
Hey everyone! How are you doing with your New Year's hair resolutions?

Two weeks into the new year, and I have been doing better with gentle detangling, and performing "search & destroy" split trimming. I haven't been doing better yet with keeping the ends better moisturized and oiled, but maybe I can begin to do better on that within the next few weeks.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 4:19am
Originally posted by PurpleBubba PurpleBubba wrote:

Journal Entry From Earlier Today

That means that my goals for the year are

1. Start at 33"
2. Do Search and Snips on splits and breaks. Often.
3. Keep hair growing towards 36" but do not pass it early. Hitting 36" early means a required immediate trim of 1 inch minimum. No exceptions to this rule. I don't care if some miracle happens and splits go away. The waist is off limits before 2006.
4. Do trims regularly to maintain hem ends. Work out trim frequency to take 1/2 inch at least every trim to maintain good hem.
5. Learn how to do something other than a gosh darn ponytail. What the heck do I have this long hair for? I better be doing braids by summer. At least to try sleeping in them.
6. Denman Brush - Must Have Now!!!

On January 7th I measured my hair to be about 34" so rather than only trim off 1" to go back to 33" I decided instead to go with the original plan of 3" and trimmed back to 31"

I bought these 3 Denman Brushes - D3, D31, D5 at Sally Beauty Supply.

I just finished my first bottle of Biotin. It was a 60 tablet bottle and I ended up taking 71 days to finish it so that means I missed 11 times. That's once a week.

I attempted a braid and got about 1/3 done.

My wash routine is back on track with less restrictions.
At the moment things are going well. I just need to do a split search soon. That's about all I need.

If anyone is interested in the longer version you can start here and read on through the rest of January's entries.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?postid=262491#poststop

I'll post a seperate thread here though for my update with pics.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 1:48pm
Pretty good so far, mostly.

I'm oiling regularly, being gentle in handling my hair, staying on a routine, taking hair vitamins.

I am not drinking two glasses of water a day and probably never will. My hair will just have to hydrate itself with milk and coca-cola. Sorry.

I'm trying to wear more smooth fabrics against my hair, like in blouses, sweaters, etc. I hopw to start making more of my clothes and use a lot of silk. I'm getting a new sewing machine for my birthday but I'm not sure how long it will take for it to get here.

I'm sleeping on silk pillowcases.

I know I'm forgetting something here, but this is good just to be made accountable for my resolutions after Jan. 1st!

Good topic!

SF
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 11:07am
So how are we doing?

Sometimes just making small changes will help us make big changes.

Me? Long hair resolutions:

1. condition AND oil regularly

yes. I have been using jojoba oil and shea butter regularly. My hair feels really dry so I have been washing less which I guess is better than washing too much.

2. stop trying to detangle without mercy

I am sleeping on braids. The last couple of nights I have been wearing this incredibly silly looking night cap to bed since it is soooooo cold. I am tangled less. I just have to give myself enough time to comb carefully in the mornings.

3. try to resist trimming at the salon, which usually means 4-6 inches off.

I have been dusting. There have been no outside pressures to cut so I am happy.

4. do some interesting styles sometimes other than plain bun or two braids, one braid.

I doing a hermit thing because of the weather. I haven't been out much. I could try some new styles for fun. I need to work on that one.

Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 6:02pm
I said I was going to try new styles, didn´t I? Well, it´s in the dead and dry darkness of winter, and no, I have just barely been keeping it clean. But, it is in so much better condition if I compare with last year, that I will have some good stuff to work with once i get out of hats, scarves and three layers of sweaters and coats!

However, I am gentle, patient and see absolutely no reason to schedule a trim.
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Viktoria Viktoria wrote:

But, it is in so much better condition if I compare with last year, that I will have some good stuff to work with once i get out of hats, scarves and three layers of sweaters and coats!

Viktoria, you must be doing it right!

SF
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2005 at 9:47pm
Believe me, without all the great education I have gotten just hanging out here, I´d still be in my "dark ages". This board has been, and is, a great source of inspiration and knowledge, and I certainly have the tresses to prove it! So thank you, all!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 1:58pm
I think I did finally manage to get that french twist down! I dusted once. That's something. I hate dusting!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 4:00pm
Less blow drying
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 5:58pm
Great progress, everybody! Keep it up.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 7:34pm
(2) Hmm.. I finally DID make up my mind about having tapered ends: I want 'em! :)
(3) been more patient while combing, fingercombing more actually.
(5) trying my best to take vitamins and drink more water
(7) I've stopped worrying too much about hair loss, especially because I'm going to give CO another go.

Wonderful to read about everyone's progress!

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
whateverinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whateverinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 12:51pm
I am staying true to my do's and don'ts:

- I haven't used a blow dryer (actually since November!)

- I am washing it only twice a week (I used to wash it EVERYDAY and never conditioned it because I was told fine hair shouldn't be conditioned!)

- I am conditioning and treating it regulary!

- I haven't used hairspray!

- I am clarifying it occasionally!

- And I am trying to focus on what it will look like on December 31, 2005 as opposed to what it looks like now :(
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Hey everyone! How are you doing with your New Year's hair resolutions?

Two weeks into the new year, and I have been doing better with gentle detangling, and performing "search & destroy" split trimming. I haven't been doing better yet with keeping the ends better moisturized and oiled, but maybe I can begin to do better on that within the next few weeks.

Well... I haven't been doing any better yet on the moisturizing/oiling. But I have been doing well with the S&D trimming. I've had a boatload of splits, and have eliminated quite a few of them. I endeavor to keep up with them in the coming weeks and months. It does help make combing and detangling easier. For some odd reason, when my hair has more splits, it tangles more readily.
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 6:07pm
My hair seems to be doing great.  I do think I need a slight trim soon although I have no spit ends or anything but the front is a couple inches longer than the sides and back.  I plan to keep it pretty much the same.  The bangs I might trim a little more than the rest just to make them look a little thicker and even them out.  I want to try to wait till August

cheers tlsf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic