Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PurpleBubba's ~ First Single Braid ~

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PurpleBubba's ~ First Single Braid ~
    Posted: January 18 2005 at 12:05pm
Jan 18th - PurpleBubba's ~ First Single Braid ~

Here is my first official single braid. I finally got one of these where I didn't stop halfway and the sections felt somewhat equal.

Instructions, I grabbed my hair.
Split it into 3 sections and braided most of the way with my hands behind my head.
Then at about 2/3 done I pulled the braid over my left shoulder and finished it in front.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 1:22pm
That's a very shiny, thick, well-executed braid, PB!

SF
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 8:33pm
No!!!!!! Please don't execute my braid.

:) Thanks SF.
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 2:11am
Originally posted by strawberryfine strawberryfine wrote:

That's a very shiny, thick, well-executed braid, PB!

SF

Hmm~that was an unfortunate choice of words wasn't it?

That's a very shiny, thick, superbly-constructed with architectural precision, braid, PB!

Seriously, it does look very nice!

SF

strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 2:30am
Thanks again SF.

I'm glad we're both having some fun lately. It's nice to see people of all lengths having fun.

I hope others don't wait until they get to my length to try new things. Not only did I wait until it was this long but I've been growing out that short cut for 10 years. I wish I'd been trying other things sooner. But now I will.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 12:35pm
VERY nice, PurpleBubba!! :) :) :)
my LJ, 40 inches long
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 3:40pm
PurpleBubba - Do you braid your hair more often now?

Anais - great website, I enjoyed reading it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 7:04pm
Thanks Anais and Crazy. :)

I haven't done much of anything to my hair since that braid. But I will be doing more things now. Next step will be wearing a braid in public. Probably just going to the store I go to all the time. To see if I get any compliments. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 8:19pm
Crazygirl, I'm glad you enjoyed my site :) By the way, you have really LOVELY hair! (hint hint: take more photos)

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
kab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 10:47pm
I couldn't tell from your description where your hands were when you were braiding. If you've never braided before, it is hard to fumble around blindly behind your head. This was my technique until I tried this: divide into three sections, but braid upwards (starting from the base of the neck). When I look in the mirror, I can see my progress beyond the first few passes. By the time I get to the end of the braid, my hands are above my head, but I can see what I've been doing. The braid is relaxed and not pulled tight. (My hair is nearly 31 inches, measuring from forehead). Then I bring it down and then fasten it with appropriate band. I have a very small barrette that I like to snap on the tip after its been fastened with a thin band (the kind that looks like it is made from sliced tubing). I have a larger pony-tail holder with an ornament on it that also works nicely as a tie-off. Another option with a secured braid is to loop it into a scrunchie. Thanks for posting the pic of your efforts and let us know when braiding is "second nature."
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 3:00pm
Anais, do you ever wear your hair down? Do you have a pic? It look so shiny. Mine is dry. =(
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2005 at 11:18am
Very well done, Robert! First time, too! It took me awhile to get the hang of it and make them turn out reasonably well. I can't believe you braided your hair so far down before you brought it forward of your shoulders to finish. Your arms must be very flexible. I can only do 3 or maybe 4 complete twists (twice for a standard 3-strand braid) before bringing it forward of my shoulders. But I've got it down so well that I can now braid my hair with my eyes closed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 6:05pm
PurpleBubba's Second Braid September 1st

Rather than start a new thread I decided to bump this one up with my second braid 9 months later.

I meant to do braids more often but better late than never.

Here's what my braid looks like today 9/1/05 after I slept on it.

I think that bulge is the spot where I stopped and brought the braid over my shoulder to to the front to continue it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 11:18pm
I get "The Bump" EVERY time  It's so hard not to get one! Great braid, PB
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 11:21pm
Thanks Anais,

I wanted to add that the second braid was done Dutch style where the outer strands cross under the center strand instead of over.

I might have done the January one the same way but I don't remember.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 11:00am
Wow! It's really shiney!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 11:07am
Ah, the "bump."  Yah... I know it.   Here are a few of the "tricks" I use to try to minimize or avoid it:

When braiding & crossing those sections over, be sure to pull the section (being crossed) snugly against the knot of the prior braid.  (I hope that made sense)

Also, try to start the braid with the orientation of it in the center of the back of your head and maintain it that way when you bring the sections forward of your shoulder to resume braiding.  This is a good time to emphasize my first suggestion.

Practice, practice, practice.  And then practice some more.    But it's very satisfying once you get it right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic