Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedstraightening hair...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
frustrated! View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frustrated! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: straightening hair...
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:18am
ok, I know people have posted about this before, but nothing seems to help! My hair's naturally wavy and I'm ready to shave it off, it's so annoying!! I want it straight and it won't STAY straight!! Is there ANYTHING out there that can help!? Please help!!
June View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
Oh, I hope you haven't shaved your head yet! I've got the same prob, especially here in Georgia where it's so humid. My trick takes a while (and doesn't follow good long hair care practices) but I only do this every 2-3 days.I use the John Frieda Frizz Ease (silicone based) products. If you don't want to reinvest in a whole new line at one time, just get the vial of hair serum. You rub a couple of squirts into your hands and apply it evenly through soaking wet hair. I take a lot of time to distribute with my fingers, throughout my hair (avoiding the immediate scalp area as it tends to look weighed down after a day. And I want it straight, not flat and to last longer than that.)Blow Dry! If it's not too humid, I can let my hair dry naturally for a while then finish off with the blow dryer. But you may have to start with your hair towel dry.Use a Round brush that has a metal cylinder that the bristles stick through. (I don't know what they call these brushes) I've found one with a 2 1/2" diameter. After you've detangled your hair, section it and put the brush in from underneath starting at the very ends of your hair. Roll your hair up one or two turns only (depending on how much wave you want.) The length of your hair should be held tightly, but not overstretched.Then use the blowdrier on the section. I use hot and high. But very important, finish with a cold setting to set the wave (or straight). It's very important not to brush your hair while you're blow-drying. If you're anything like me, you'll end up with a head full of fuzz. So, fix the brush in your hair first before you start blowdrying it or you'll end up blowing your hair everywhere.Play around with different sectioning. IOW, try small/large sections, or pin all the top part of your hair on top of your head and do the underneath side first, etc.I only wash my hair ever 2-3 days and most of the time I just let it dry naturally. To make it last, I sleep with it up over my pillow making sure there's no creases/folds in my hair. Also sometimes if it's late, I will coil my wet hair on my head and secure it with a couple of twists of a hair band (not a ponytail holder, but the big band) By the morning, my hair's almost dry and has a very nice wave to it. But it's very important to turn your head upside down and run your fingers through to get it all smooth upside down. Otherwise you'll end up with a crease in your hair at the top of your head.I don't like what braiding does to my hair, though.It will take some practice, but good luck. I'm finally happy with my hair curly, or straight. But I'm 37 and just now have figured out how to get my hair straightened.If you want a pretty curly look, use the same products but add some sort of holding agent. I use Paul Mitchell's foaming pomade. Then turn your head over upside down and hold your hair gently in your hands up against your scalp. Don't scrunch, just hold it there and blowdry low and warm, finish with cool. This takes a pretty long time for long thick hair.The biggest mistake I made in the past was over working (i.e. over brushing, over scrunching, etc.) my hair.Again, I hope I'm not too late in responding; I only just now found this site. And I'm loving it! I check back and see how you're doing...June> ok, I know people have posted about this> before, but nothing seems to help! My hair's naturally> wavy and I'm ready to shave it off, it's so annoying!!> I want it straight and it won't STAY straight!!> Is there ANYTHING out there that can help!? Please> help!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic