Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Artec Color Enhancing Shampoos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cindy Farr Hester, BCH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Farr Hester, BCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Artec Color Enhancing Shampoos
    Posted: December 12 2000 at 11:09pm
Hi - this is my first time to your web site and a nice job you have done! Very informative. Lot`s of great informations to read. I was reading some product info on the Artec Color Enchancing Shampoo`s as an alternative to highlighting. Say if you were to put Lemon Flower on natural blonde hair - the hair may glisten a little - anytime you add warmth to hair - it reflects light better - but I do think it is important for the public to understand that this product cannot actually highlight the hair. It may make the natural blonde, or highlighted client appear brighter - but it is not chemically lifting the hair. It is an illusion. The product does contain semi permanent dye molecules that can coat the cuticle layer of the hair - and in porous hair where the cuticle can be damage - actually penetrate inside the medulla of the hair and become trapped. Now while it is safe for lighter levels of hair to use, one must take into consideration such things as porosity, say a client had a heavily highlighted white blonde look - and she applied the While Violet Shampoo - her hair could actually grabe the Violet base of that shampoo and become very cool and this would not be attractive and at that time - would be coming into salon for color correction. On the other hand, if a client walked in a salon and purchased say Sunflower or the strawberry blonde one (sorry can`t think of the name) - the light hair would take on these tones - and they do not just wash out on porous hair. Just because the shampoo is a color shampoo and seems safe - it still needs a professionals recommendation. Any type of semi direct dye type color can become permanent on porous hair. I do not belive Artec is just one of those lines that clients should just walk in and buy without speaking to someone knowledgeable about color and porosity. I have encountered many people walking in saying "oh I am going to try the Marigold" on over bleached hair - and I ask are you wanted to change your color to a warm red shade? And my response 9 times out of 10 have been no - I just want to do this tonite - try something new - it will wash out. But that is not true. I do think if you are working on virgin hair - and it does not have any chemicals on it - including perms - that one might be successful at brighting up their hair. There is a big difference from brightening by adding warmth and highlighting. I have also seen build up of this product over over use - it is designed to be used every other shampoo as a maintenece product to keep salon colors from fading. If a client was to use it too much - the color almost starts looking flourescent kinda or artificial especially with the reds. Artec can be drying if over used as can be the Aveda blonde shades - so it is important to do not over use and to condition also. This product was created for us Colorist by Artec so we could recommend or custom mix a formulation that would extend the life of our clients hair color. And to Lelend - we thank him. His product has the best pigment consentration of any shampoo color type of line. We have been able to use it for corrective work in the salon also. So all I really wanted to state is this it is not an altenative to salon highlighting - but there may be some out there that may seem a brightening effect because of the shampoos because of the warmth being added. It is not the same as comparing this to a highlight. It would be very subtle and that may be just what the client needs. But I do recommend that before you go and buy your first bottle of Artec Shampoo - please talk to a stylist/colorist firt to help you make your decision. You may find that it is not enought to give you your desired end result - or you may find it is - you just need helping finding the right shade! It is a wonderful product - but I and I am sure other colorist would hate to see a client have to spend money on a corrective color that could of been avoided in the first place if the product was recomended by a professional the way it was intended to be. This is just my opinion. I love doing corrective work - but the integrity of the clients hair and their satisfaction is where my concern lies, so again I ask you get a suggestion on color from a professional. Good luck to everyone. This is only my opinion.

Cindy F Hester, BCH
Cindy Farr Hester, BCH
Sylvia Natale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvia Natale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2000 at 11:40pm
Cindy,
I also agree with everything you have written about the color enhancing shampoo`s. I have personally seen a few minor disasters come across my path over the years from enhancers being improperly used.
I might also add that those clients with perms or sun damaged hair could also experience a problem if the product is not properly used.
Because the product was designed to be used with haircolor by a professional, we often times use it as a treatment to aid in correcting overly damaged hair.Or in color correction maintance.
As you stated, the semi permanent dye molecules can absorb into damaged hair and fill those areas will pigments.
While it is a wonderful product, the consumer needs to understand the impact it can have on dry hair.
I have personally not seen much of a difference on strong healthy hair, short of a very slight hint, and some shine.
I have had cleints come in to buy an enhancer thinking that if they used it that it would blend thier gray hair at the root. Yikes, I am thinking walnut on gray. Not! LOL
They also need to understand that it cannot change the natural color to blend the root with hair that has been previously colored.
Somehow, some consumers have misunderstood the purpose, and think that it can somehow change the root.
I personally think they are thinking of the old Roux type rinses.Even those were very sheer, in my humble opinion.
Sylvia Natale BCH

Sylvia Natale
Cindy Farr Hester, BCH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Farr Hester, BCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2000 at 1:59pm
Sylvia-

I completely agree with your statement as well. You are correct this product was never intended to use to cover grey. It was only designed to help us colorist keep our clients hair from fading in between salon visits. And it really does a wonderful job when recommended by a professional colorist. The Platinum Ice can be a nice choice on someone that has grey hair and they have a dull grey (goldy) it can brighten it up. It can also help keep unwanted warmth out of highlights that tend to somehow always turn a little warm in between visits. The reds are of caution though - because if not used properly they can become overly bright. And also just a consumer walking in and picking up a product as you mentioned such as Walnut and shampooing it on blonde hair that is either natural or artificial - would never be successful as a tintback. Also, thanks for bring up that permed hair is also added porosity and clients should be careful. If properly recommended - the color enhancing shampoos can help tone down the ends that always seem to go a little lighter during a perm. Great discussion!

Cindy, BCH
Cindy Farr Hester, BCH
Sylvia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2000 at 10:19pm
Cindy,
Another confusing thing about color enhancing shampoos for the consumer can be the name.
One for instance I can think of is Malva. I can`t remember which line it was, but one line has a Malva that is used as a blueing agent for blondes. Then another has one for black hair.
I vividly recall a blonde who came in with a muddy mess in her bleach blonde hair because she had once used the line whos Malva was for blondes. So, she assumed that ARTec`s Malva was for blondes as well. Without reading the bottle completely, she shampooed. It was really a pity.
Her beautiful bleach blonde hair , in excellent condition from years of taking good care of it and having it professionally colored, was shattered by one shampoo.
We were able to get her color back, but not without damage.
Unfortunately for her, the lesson was a hard one. She really felt badly about not consulting me about it before she went out to buy it.
I explained to her how badly I felt for her, and not to worry. It is a common mistake.After all, we are trained to recognise what will work best with each color.
For her, I gave her a personal mixed ARTec shampoo.
She did not realize that I could personally mix one to suit her color.
And the other problem was that she thought she could use it on a daily basis. Also a common mistake.
Again porosity is often overlooked by those who are not trained to deal with it.
Your right, it is a great discussion.
Hopefully, the readers will find our posts helpful.
Sylvia Natale /BCH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvia Natale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2000 at 8:19pm
Cindy,
I see our own Andre` from the American Board Certified Haircolorists board is participating in an upcoming article.
I can`t wait to read about it.
Sylvia Natale/BCH
Sylvia Natale
Cindy Hester, BCH View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Hester, BCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2000 at 9:54pm
Reply to message: 6.11.1
quote:

Sylvia Natale originally wrote:
Cindy,
I see our own Andre' from the American Board Certified Haircolorists board is participating in an upcoming article.
I can't wait to read about it.
Sylvia Natale/BCH

Hi Sylvia-

Yes I just saw that hair boutique is doing an interview with Andre - president of the American Board of Certified Colorist. Andre - I would like to say thank you for all of your efforts in taking it the step further that was needed - and allowing us to go that extra step. Becoming a Board Certified Colorist is something all should strive for if they are passionate about color! Andre looking forward to you article!!

Also, one day in the salon it was real busy and I asked our tech to apply the violet Logics Color Refresher conditioner to my client to tone down and blend yellow tones in my clients hair. From far off she said "this one" and I said yes, assuming she had the right one. Well we all know what happens when we assume - you make an ass out of you and me. And I did just that. She had Crimson - which was Red- Violet - she applied it to my beautiful blonde fresh highlightss - and then came over and said "Cindy, did you want your clients highlights to be pink?" I about died. I explained to the client the misunderstanding and I corrected it - which was not easy to do cuz the direct dyes stained the cuticle bad. The client lost all confindence in me even though a true colorist does have the ability to correct. I learned a major lesson that day. Just because it is shampoo or conditioner with color tones added - be very, very careful. And also - from now on - I hand my tech exactly what I would like to be added during shampoo. Live and learn!

Cindy Farr Hester, BCH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvia Natale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 7:29pm
Cindy,
Yikes, gotta hate when that happens.
Because of the direct dyes,it also has the potential to dry the hair somewhat. It is so important that the pubilc know that they cannot use it on a daily baisis, and it must be used with a conditioner. Preferablly, with the same color enhancing conditioner.
I have seen some real build up of the product on people who are not aware that daily use can build up and dry out the hair.
Gosh, do we have a spell check? LOL I am awful when I am thinking and typing at the same time.
My favorite is to blend the shampoo to suit the clients color. I have created a beautiful blonde before, who knew I wanted her to use the enhancing shampoo. But, unaware that I was blending, she was in the lobby making a purchase. It said for blondes, so she used Sunflower. Quite a problem when we are adding warmth to a prelightened ash blonde. Especially, if she had used it on a daily basis.Thankfully, I caught her before she left.
There are many situations that can occur, that is part of the reason I feel so passionate about the client utilizing our knowledge. After all, we spend hundreds and even thousands every year to stay on top of it for them.
That`s what we are here for.
There really is no comparison to hands on daily experience.
Sylvia Natale/BCH

Sylvia Natale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic