Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStrangers Touching My Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carla View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strangers Touching My Hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
Hi,I was out at a busy mall last nite doing all my Christmas shopping. While I was standing in line to checkout at one of the stores, a woman came up behind me and reached up and starting touching my hair (which is to my waist). This happens to me all the time in public which really irritates me. I turned around and I am afraid I was kind of snappish and asked her not to touch my hair.She seemed really embarrassed.Does this happen to anyone else? I never know exactly what I should say. I guess it depends on my mood when it happens.Thanks,Carla
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
Carla,I understand that it is irritating to you, and people should respect your 'personal space'. But keep in mind that to some of us, a beautiful cascade of hair right in front of us is almost too much to resist. So try to be patient with us long hair lovers, and consider it a compliment to the beauty of your hair. I'm sure this woman did not mean to be rude. If it does bother you, just politely ask the person to stop. And by all means don't let an experience like this start you thinking about cutting your hair.Dave> Hi,> I was out at a busy mall last nite doing> all my Christmas shopping. While I was standing> in line to checkout at one of the stores, a woman> came up behind me and reached up and starting> touching my hair (which is to my waist). This> happens to me all the time in public which really> irritates me. I turned around and I am afraid> I was kind of snappish and asked her not to touch> my hair.> She seemed really embarrassed.> Does this happen to anyone else? I never> know exactly what I should say. I guess it depends> on my mood when it happens.> Thanks,> Carla
David M Squires
anniem View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anniem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
> Hi,> I was out at a busy mall last nite doing> all my Christmas shopping. While I was standing> in line to checkout at one of the stores, a woman> came up behind me and reached up and starting> touching my hair (which is to my waist). This> happens to me all the time in public which really> irritates me. I turned around and I am afraid> I was kind of snappish and asked her not to touch> my hair.> She seemed really embarrassed.> Does this happen to anyone else? I never> know exactly what I should say. I guess it depends> on my mood when it happens.> Thanks,> CarlaThis has happened to me before, and sometimes, it can be rather frightening. Once, a man began to touch my hair and he then tried to follow me onto an elevator. Another time, I was waiting for a bus, and some guy started touching my hair. He followed me on to the bus, and it took 2 guards to kick him off of it. I was scared by the whole thing and started wearing my hair in braid instead of down long. People who do this touching usually have a problem. There is nothing wrong with looking, but no touching.
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
> Hi,> I was out at a busy mall last nite doing> all my Christmas shopping. While I was standing> in line to checkout at one of the stores, a woman> came up behind me and reached up and starting> touching my hair (which is to my waist). This> happens to me all the time in public which really> irritates me. I turned around and I am afraid> I was kind of snappish and asked her not to touch> my hair.> She seemed really embarrassed.> Does this happen to anyone else? I never> know exactly what I should say. I guess it depends> on my mood when it happens.> Thanks,> CarlaDear Carla,I agree with anniem; noone should touch your hair unless they have permission from you first. This has never happened to me, but if it did I would probably react as you did. I don't think there is any reason for you to feel that your reaction was wrong or inpolite, either; that woman was a stranger, and she was out of line.
Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
> Dear Carla,> I agree with anniem; noone should touch your> hair unless they have permission from you first.> This has never happened to me, but if it did I> would probably react as you did. I don't think> there is any reason for you to feel that your> reaction was wrong or inpolite, either; that woman> was a stranger, and she was out of line.So my question in all this is, what if a stranger, who looked nice and decent were to see you in a shopping mall or something and say that you have very beautiful hair and asked you permission to touch it?? Would you still be hesitant or would the circumstances determine your response??
Carla View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
John,OK...well I understand that some people just can't resist touching gorgeous hair...but it still can freak me out. I don't think it would push me to cutting my hair....but it certainly can be freaky.Thanks for your words of wisdom.Carla
June View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
Hi Jason,Since touching (other than handshaking or a pat on the back) is very intimate to me, I'm very cautious about who I would allow to touch my hair. So I would say no, even if I didn't have a boyfriend. However, there is a guy here at work that asks to touch my hair every now and again. I say ok to him because he is a friend and just a friend. I know he wouldn't get the wrong idea about it. But a stranger? Oh, heavens no... That's opening oneself up to a dangerous potential. And I think male or female, one must decide on and enforce boundaries.>> So my question in all this is, what if a> stranger, who looked nice and decent were to see> you in a shopping mall or something and say that> you have very beautiful hair and asked you permission> to touch it?? Would you still be hesitant or would> the circumstances determine your response??
pamela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pamela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:23am
> Hi Jason, I find it very flattering for a stranger to touch my hair. In Alaska it doesnt happen very often . But while in Korea I felt like a Star. My waist length, red, staight hair was an object of desire of the poeple there. Most were curious what it felt like so would lightly touch it without asking my permission first . I believe it was due to the language barrier. Don't woorry to much about strangers asking in a mall or store they normally mean you no harm.Pamela
Jo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:26am
Carla...sounds like this particular situation was very non-threatening..in the open..people around. Of course, you have a right to set your own boundaries for your body, and expect people to abide by them. Don't be upset tho when someone just can't help themselves. Lately, as my hair has reached my waist, I find people touching it a lot. Usually they accompany it with a lovely comment, and I find it very flattering. Enjoy the compliment!!
salon gal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic