Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHELP! Long, Natural Curly Hair!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Long, Natural Curly Hair!!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:26am
Ok,I have semi-long, VERY THICK natural curly hair. I cannot control it any more. I don't wan't to cut because I have tried it before, and NEVER again. I have gotten it chemically straitened 4 times. It's still curly, it just will NOT go strait, when i blow dry it striat, it just gets BIG and FRIZZY. What products can I use that will make it a better curl, right now it's more of a wavy cripy curl. If i could get it strait, that would be great. ANY SUGGESTIONS???????
Sarah Brooke
Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:26am
> Ok,> I have semi-long, VERY THICK natural curly> hair. I cannot control it any more. I don't wan't> to cut because I have tried it before, and NEVER> again. I have gotten it chemically straitened> 4 times. It's still curly, it just will NOT go> strait, when i blow dry it striat, it just gets> BIG and FRIZZY. What products can I use that will> make it a better curl, right now it's more of> a wavy cripy curl. If i could get it strait, that> would be great. ANY SUGGESTIONS???????I saw an interesting thing happen to a girl I know with very naturally curly hair. When I first met her her hair was shoulder length and it was very curly (she looked like sammy Hagar). She kept growing it down to below her waist and the weight of her hair straightened it out. Her hair was really breathtaking because it was so thick and now had a nice wave to it. I don't know how long your hair is but maybe longer is the answer.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:26am
> Ok,> I have semi-long, VERY THICK natural curly> hair. I cannot control it any more. I don't wan't> to cut because I have tried it before, and NEVER> again. I have gotten it chemically straitened> 4 times. It's still curly, it just will NOT go> strait, when i blow dry it striat, it just gets> BIG and FRIZZY. What products can I use that will> make it a better curl, right now it's more of> a wavy cripy curl. If i could get it strait, that> would be great. ANY SUGGESTIONS???????Well my hair isn't nearly that curly, but it is quite thick and wavy and likes to do that FRIZZZ thing a lot. You probably won't ver get straight hair (although as it gets longer it may get heavier and pull out some of the curl into waves) but you certainly don't have to live with frizz. Here's some suggestions I have:#1. Stop blow-drying your hair. Period. No exceptions. While you may get it to go straight with the blow-dryer, the damage it creates will cause worse frizz. #2. If your frizz starts out worst in the morning and eases up as the day wears on, try sleeping on a satin and/or silk pillowcase... it's really helped my hair a lot. #3. Try using a conditioner with some silicons in it. I think Aveda Cherry almond bark has them. Or you could try one of those silicon elixers... but be careful you don't get some with alcohols in it, I've used some (even by aveda) that have dried out my hair and made the frizz worse. #4. Take good care of your hair, if it's curly damage encourages frizz... if you keep it healthy, you'll have less problems with it.-jennifer
Auggie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:26am
I have very thick curly/frizzy hair also. But it is now about waist-length and is more manageable than when it was shorter.I agree with Jennifer... stop blow drying your hair. It does make it worse... I only blow dry mine once every 2-3 months only for a special occasion.I wash my hair in the evening and let it air dry. I use either the framesi shampoos/conditioners or the kms nefa/reconstructor shampoo/conditioners. I also use a leave in spray AND a silicone serum (John Freida Frizz ease). By the time I go to bed, my hair is still a little damp and here's where I do my styling...My trick is to coil my hair, not too tightly though... There are two ways I do this.1- to sleep at night, I turn upside down and gather my hair in my hand in a ponytail at the top of my head and twist/coil it into a coil on the top of my head. Then I bind it with a cotton hairband. In the morning, when I take it down, it's just about dry and has nice soft waves to it.2- During the day... I gather my hair in a ponytail at the base of my neck and coil it into a bun at the base of my neck and bind it with a scrunchie. This lets me go out in the rain and Southern humidity and not have my hair frizz everywhere. When I get where I'm going, I let it dry completely before taking it down. And definitely don't brush it until completely dry.Another thing that I don't do anymore is I don't brush my hair anymore... I comb it before I wash it and that's about it. otherwise I finger detangle it. I'll brush it once or twice a week and that's about it. And never when it's damp.Hope this help... It probably turns everything you're doing upside down and inside out. But it's been working for me.Auggie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic