Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPerm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nickey View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perm
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:29am
Karen, I am a male and have been toying with the idea of getting a perm for sometime now. I am a little worried as to whether or not I will like the curly look I am wanting. Is there a way to do this so as if I dont like it it will come out. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Thanks
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:29am
Hi Nickey...There are a couple of ways you can go with this perm idea.You can be bold and go have a perm and if you hate it you can go get one of the very hot short short male cuts. But gee...that seems so drastic....even though summer is around the corner.I am not sure how long your hair is...so that would impact my recommendations to you. I will discuss a couple of other options.If your hair is really long...you can experiment in the privacy of your home with different looks. How? Ok...well go out and get a really good setting product. I recommend Aveda's Confixer (or Flax Seed Gel) because they work so well. However, you may have another product you prefer. That is cool too.Anyway....wash your hair and towel dry it, apply the setting gel and then braid all of your hair in several sections in a tight style. Let it dry with the braids in and check out the look. Or, after towel drying and applying gel, you can do the pincurl or rag curl thing to get a temporary look of curls.To do a pincurl...start with about 1 inch of hair and roll the hair into a curl from the bottom of your hair. Pin to your scalp with a hair friendly pincurl.To do a rag curl, take strips of rags and tie to the bottom of your hair and roll up to the scalp and tie. The thinner the strips and the smaller the hair section...the tighter the curl.If all of this home experimenting seems beyond your patience, you can do some computer simulations. Cosmopolitan's Virtual Makeover is a software package for Windows that will allow you to change your hair style without doing anything. Yes...they have styles for men too.Last idea....find a salon in your area that has a computer imaging system and will let you come in and check out what you would look like with the perm.I will warn you about one thing. Perms tend to be very drying on hair because of the chemicals that are applied.If your hair is naturally dry, you will need to make sure you do a pre-perm deep conditioning to protect your hair.good olive oil hair treatment would help a lot. Also, if you have any tendency towards thinning of your hair...a perm may accelerate the process because of the drying affect of the chemicals.Also it is important to remember never to do more than one chemical process on your hair at one time. If you perm...don't color or highlight. If you color...don't perm. The combination of processes on your hair could put you at high risk for hair breakage or damage.I hope I have give you some options to consider.Let me know if you have further questions.Good luck.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic