Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI Love Aveda BUT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Victoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Love Aveda BUT
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:33am
OK, I do love their products but they seem so expensive to me. I have a hard time spending the money when I know that I can spend a lot less on grocery store products like Clairol Herbal Essences. Do you think I could get the same great effect from Aveda if I just used it once a week or maybe alternating days with the cheaper stuff?Thanks,Victoria
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:33am
I hope you're not using Herbal Essence shampoo because it's herb based, because it isn't. Just take a quick look at the ingredient list.> OK, I do love their products but they seem> so expensive to me. I have a hard time spending> the money when I know that I can spend a lot less> on grocery store products like Clairol Herbal> Essences. Do you think I could get the same great> effect from Aveda if I just used it once a week> or maybe alternating days with the cheaper stuff?>> Thanks,> Victoria
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Something you might try is a brand called Nature's Gate, which is sold in health food stores and co-ops. They consist of mostly plant and herb ingredients. I think the only non-plant ingredients they contain is food grade methylparaben. They are cheaper than Aveda, there several varities, and I think they are quality products. I use Aveda too, but I rotate with Nature's Gate as well.> OK, I do love their products but they seem> so expensive to me. I have a hard time spending> the money when I know that I can spend a lot less> on grocery store products like Clairol Herbal> Essences. Do you think I could get the same great> effect from Aveda if I just used it once a week> or maybe alternating days with the cheaper stuff?>> Thanks,> Victoria
Clare
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Just a thought.. Nature's Gate contains wax.. I am trying to find out if wax is not good for your hair.. C~> Something you might try is a brand called> Nature's Gate, which is sold in health food stores> and co-ops. They consist of mostly plant and herb> ingredients. I think the only non-plant ingredients> they contain is food grade methylparaben. They> are cheaper than Aveda, there several varities,> and I think they are quality products. I use Aveda> too, but I rotate with Nature's Gate as well.>
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
> Oooo Clare, I am so pleased to see that someone else is a Nature's Gate fan. Though I have to admit after seeing Karen's hair in the picture next to the book review section with its incredible luster and shine I have been dying to try the Aveda line, Nature's Gate is my favorite steadfast brand that I've used for several years now. My hair is nearly to my knees and since it grows so very slowly I never cut it which makes a good shampoo and conditioner even more important. I've always been stuck on the original herbal but the jojoba leaves your hair feeling very silky smooth. A couple of the varieties contain some dyes, which I stay away from religiously, but all in all it's a good inexpensive line of products and I would recommend them as well Victoria. At about $4 to $5 for 16 ounces they are a bargain. Tell me more about your switching between the Aveda line and Nature's Gate, Clare, I'm interested in your results since I would love to try Aveda, but tend to go through shampoo and especially conditioner a bit fast to make it cost effective.
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Dawn.. did you get the nerve up to get your first trim in over 20 years!!?>
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
>> Hey Cher! No, I'm afraid I have not. Can't bring myself to do it! You're lucky, your hair grows so darn fast, ooo how I envy that!;) But seriously, my hair grows so very slow, I just can't ever seem to bring myself to cut it. Not that I'm advocating any such thing for others, just have this mortal fear of those scissors! Have you ever had dreams that your hair was cut off by accident or otherwise? I've actually been woken up by some that had me crying! Its those nasty memories! Sometimes I wonder if I'm unnaturally attached to it, but it has been such a big part of altering my self perception that it would feel like cutting off my arm or something. No, I just let it go. I'm going to order some Aveda products and give them a try, you and Karen have me dying to see how they work! I'm seeing your posts all over the place. You are really inspiring women young and old to go for that length. Good for you! Take care of that hair! Very bests wishes, Dawn
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Dawn... I was wondering if you were going to muster up the courage! I can't blame you for no trims. My hair could use a slight trim now with the last of the layers growing out but I can't get myself to go to the salon. My husband used to trim my ends when it was real long because the ends thin out some with length. Right now it's real thick and to trim it you have to pin portions up and take alittle at a time. I asked him the other day to give it a try but he said no way. I don't know if he just wants it to grow uninhibited or he's afraid of the thickness. Mainly he likes hair with the uncut look so I think he just wants me to leave it alone. I can't blame you for being afraid. Since my last salon visit was a nightmare, I haven't been back in 3 and a half mos. I don't even want to go for a bangs trim.. I have learned to do my own. About the Aveda. I sometimes feel embarrassed after I send off an email praising Aveda so much. I just really love the stuff. I realize it's both expensive and also an individual thing. Not all products work for everyone. As I said, my hair is pretty thick so I use alot of conditioner. I don't go through as much shampoo because I got in the habit years ago of just washing my scalp and letting the suds wash through the length. I am still on the same large bottle of Shampure. It's the conditioner that I go through!! I am on my second bottle right now and it's over half empty. Because of the water damage I put it all over my head even into my scalp. Until I feel my hair is back to it's original shape, I am going to continue with this regime. When it gets back in shape and some more length has grown, I will just do the ends and go lightly up on the top of my head. I love the way it softens my gray.. Curessence to me is well worth the money. I don't have to buy deep conditioners anymore so that way I feel more justified with the price.. Since your hair is so super long, you may want to alternate with the Nature's Gate and use Curessence as a deep conditioner.Since starting with Aveda, I haven't used anything else so I don't know the benefits from this. I have no desire to use any other products anymore. See, my biggest problem with everything I tried in the past was build up. My head would get the itches and it would require more frequent shampoos because it would get oily looking at the roots. Most of the time, I could use one brand for about 3 weeks then would have to switch. So, I would have my shower full of at least 3-4 different products that I would alternate. I have not had that problem with Aveda. Absolutely no build up. The other day I washed my hair and slathered on the Curessence and put a shower cap on my head. I laid across my bed and watch about an hour's worth of tv then rinsed as usual..always doing my final rinse with distilled water. It does a wonderful job of conditioning. Since your hair is so super long.. try shampooing your scalp and letting the suds run through the length. Your hair will still get clean and the drying effects are much less. There are other conditioners from Aveda that you may find more to your need. I dont know if they are just as pricey as Curessence.(I think Aveda is pricey no matter what you buy!) I with my water damaged hair, needed the Curessence. Since my hair is normally dry, I intend on using it all the time since it seems to agree with my type of hair. Let me know when you do use it and if you find it as great as I do.. best regards Cher (cheryl)>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic