Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDump the Aveda or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sharon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dump the Aveda or not?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:38am
Hi everyone.On Monday (yesterday) I went out and bought some Aveda shampoo and conditioner for the very first time. The guy in the beauty store where I bought it advised me to get the "hair detoxifier" shampoo (8.4 Oz.) and the "deep-penetrating" conditioner (4.4 Oz).These products cost me a lot of money (close to $75) so I was expecting really great results, particularly since a lot of people on this Hair Talk have said how great the Aveda products are.I used these Aveda products on my hair last night and I was totally shocked by the results. Today my hair is really dry and feels horrible! It is ultra-dry, straw-like hair.My hair was much silkier and softer from using my dependable Pantene shampoo and conditioner.I have read that Pantene has lots of silicones in it which makes hair seem in better condition than it is. So I question why my hair is so terrible when the Aveda costs so much and everyone here has such great things to say about it. I have seen all the photos of Karen's beautiful hair and I know she claims to have used Aveda for years.Should I persist with this Aveda stuff and see if the results improve with the next use? Did the guy in the store give me the wrong advice and sell me a shampoo that is way too harsh, or is Aveda just no good for my hair?I'm very tempted to go back to the shop today and demand a refund on the grounds that the guy said Aveda would be good for my hair and it just isn't. At least so far.Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated since I am confused about what to do.
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:38am
According to my Aveda catalog.. the detoxifier shampoo comes in a 9oz bottle and costs $8.50. The deep penetrating conditioner that comes in a 4.4oz tube costs $14.50. If you paid $75.00 for only both of those products.. something is terribly wrong. I do not know why the clerk would sell you a detoxifier shampoo for a regular shampoo. I cannot use detoxifiers at all, as they super dry out my hair. I would try to take it back and ask for a more gentle shampoo like Aveda's Shampure. I think the detoxifier shampoo's are for only occasional use. And only for people who have a problem with build up from pollution or styling aides or from swimming in chlorine pools or who have well water. It strips these off of your hair. I tried using Aussie's Mega shampoo and it made my hair like straw. That was before my switch to Aveda. I think, unfortunately, the clerk sold you the wrong product. Don't get down on Aveda yet.. some clerk just didn't know what to sell you. What kind of hair do you have texture wise and length, etc? Maybe Karen can prescribe a better regime.. I love the Shampure, it's very gentle. When I went up to the Aveda store last week, I saw the detoxifier but knowing how my hair reacts to that, I bypassed it. Sorry you started out on the wrong foot with Aveda but maybe things can get corrected for you.. The deep penetrating conditioner is suppose to be good.. I think it was just the shampoo that dried your hair out. Evidently you had no build up and it overdid your hair. Good luck.. Cher> Hi everyone.> On Monday (yesterday) I went out and bought> some Aveda shampoo and conditioner for the very> first time. The guy in the beauty store where> I bought it advised me to get the "hair detoxifier"> shampoo (8.4 Oz.) and the "deep-penetrating"> conditioner (4.4 Oz).> These products cost me a lot of money (close> to $75) so I was expecting really great results,> particularly since a lot of people on this Hair> Talk have said how great the Aveda products are.>> I used these Aveda products on my hair last> night and I was totally shocked by the results.> Today my hair is really dry and feels horrible!> It is ultra-dry, straw-like hair.> My hair was much silkier and softer from> using my dependable Pantene shampoo and conditioner.>> I have read that Pantene has lots of silicones> in it which makes hair seem in better condition> than it is. So I question why my hair is so terrible> when the Aveda costs so much and everyone here> has such great things to say about it. I have> seen all the photos of Karen's beautiful hair> and I know she claims to have used Aveda for years.>> Should I persist with this Aveda stuff and> see if the results improve with the next use?> Did the guy in the store give me the wrong advice> and sell me a shampoo that is way too harsh, or> is Aveda just no good for my hair?> I'm very tempted to go back to the shop today> and demand a refund on the grounds that the guy> said Aveda would be good for my hair and it just> isn't. At least so far.> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated> since I am confused about what to do.>
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:38am
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. It sounds to me like the person who sold you the shampoo gave you the wrong advice - from everything I've heard, the detox shampoo is pretty harsh. I've been afraid to try it, myself, since my hair is dry to begin with. I'd definitely suggest a different Aveda shampoo - I've had great results with Shampure and Madder Root and Camomile (my hair is a sort of reddish-brown shade, with some gold to it in the sun).The other thing that you should keep in mind is that it only takes a really small amount of shampoo - Aveda isn't like most of the shampoos that you buy in a grocery store, where you need a handful to get your scalp clean. Try using a few dribbles at a time, so you get an idea of how much you need to spread it all over your scalp and get just a little bit of lather. Don't bother distributing it throughout the length of your hair - just concentrate on the scalp, and then concentrate the conditioner on the ends. The first time I tried Aveda (the Madder Root in my case), my hair was really dry the next day. I figured maybe I'd used too much shampoo, so I had my husband drizzle a little at a time onto my fingers and rubbed it around in my hands, and then put it on my scalp. I found I used only maybe 20% as much, and it worked a lot better.Anyway, good luck. Don't give up on Aveda just because of one bad experience. Maybe if they won't let you return the shampoo, you might be able to find someone who likes that kind to trade with for something else.Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:38am
> On Monday (yesterday) I went out and bought> some Aveda shampoo and conditioner for the very> first time. The guy in the beauty store where> I bought it advised me to get the "hair detoxifier"> shampoo (8.4 Oz.) and the "deep-penetrating"> conditioner (4.4 Oz).>> I used these Aveda products on my hair last> night and I was totally shocked by the results.> Today my hair is really dry and feels horrible!> It is ultra-dry, straw-like hair.Oooo... yeah, the detox shampoo is MUCHO harsh and shouldn't be used on a regular basis. Aveda used to have a clarifying gel that did basically the same thing, but was not as drying and that you'd shampoo out... but the canceled it in favor of the detox shampoo which I don't like at all. :-PAnyways, I'd go back to the store and tell them that you think the shampoo is really too harsh and ask if you can trade it for something milder like Shampure, the All-sensitive, or one of the color shampoos. If they won't then tell them that they no longer have your business and go looking for a store that will exchange stuff within a few days if you don't like the product.-jj
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic