Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTo Karen: cutting hair evenly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Karen: cutting hair evenly
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:38am
Karen, Hi! I trim and color my long hair myself (with very good results, I might add!). I only trim ends slightly. I know you said you trim your own hair (especially on new- and full-moon phases). I have a question about the back of your hair. How do you trim across the back so it is even? In the front and on top, it's easy, the back stumps me every time. Do you hold up sections straight up to cut them to get them even? How do you do it? Thanks!JM
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi Jm,I need to clarify. When I say to trim your ends on the new and full moons, I mean to trim just the split ends and only teeny, tiny amounts of hair.So please accept my apologies for the confusion. The purpose of trimming your hair during the new moon and full moon is to get it to grow faster or fuller (as the theory goes and not everyone agrees - so form you own opinion).If I can not get to my hair stylist for my regular 8-10 week professional trim on the new moon or full moon, I take our my professional hair cutting scissors that I bought at a hair and beauty show...and I grab a handful of hair and hunt for tiny split ends. Then I clip right above the split end. That is it. No major cutting.I try to schedule my 8-10 week trims on the good moons, but it is not always possible. So that is why I trim my split ends at home on those dates. Just the split ends....which doesn't even amount to 1/16th of an inch.Sorry for the miscommunication.If you want to trim the back of your hair by yourself, I would recommend that you ask a friend to do the back so that it turns out even.There is an Ask Karen response that lists all the great "how to cut your own hair" videos, CDs and books that you can get to learn all the tricks.This is one area I am out of the ballpark since I can't even cut my own bangs without them getting crooked. :-)Hope that helped.Karen> Karen, Hi! I trim and color my long hair> myself (with very good results, I might add!).> I only trim ends slightly. I know you said you> trim your own hair (especially on new- and full-moon> phases). I have a question about the back of your> hair. How do you trim across the back so it is> even? In the front and on top, it's easy, the> back stumps me every time. Do you hold up sections> straight up to cut them to get them even? How> do you do it? Thanks!> JM
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi Karen,I was wondering if you have found this full moon theory to be true in your own experiences. I must admit, I've never heard of it before (not that I know much). But, since hair above the scalp is just strands of dead protein cells; I've always understood that it grows approximately 1/2" per month regardless of when, how often and how much is cut off. Also, it's NOT just a bunch of continuous growing strands that, if never cut, would reach 40 feet over an 80 year lifetime. The hair follicle releases the hair and starts a new one about every 6 to 8 years years (3 to 4 feet of hair growth). That's why most woman (and men) can only grow their hair so long. It doesn't stop growing, it just falls out and a new one starts to replace it. Diane witt and a some others are obvious exceptions. Their growth rate and follicle rejuvenation cycles are unusual. Stress, diet, vitamins, blood circulation, pregnancy and other factors can all have an effect on hair growth and follicle rejuvenation. But, when it's cut? How can this be? Fill me in.
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Brian, Karen has an article on this subject in the "Hair Tips" section of this site: http://www.hiredguns.com/longhair/tips/tip018.htm
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi,Thanks JM. I was going to post the URL too. :-) Great minds think alike.Have a great day.Karen>> Brian, Karen has an article on this subject> in the "Hair Tips" section of this site:> http://www.hiredguns.com/longhair/tips/tip018.htm>
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi Brian,To answer your post.....I have been studying the impact the moon has on my hair since I was 15 years old when I discovered astrology. I do not try to impose my beliefs on anyone...just my own personal findings. Then people can take it or leave it.I have found that trimming (just a teeny weeny) amount of hair during the New Moon seems to make it grow a little faster than normal. I have been religious about the New Moon for a long time.Just tonight I went to see my hair stylist for my 8-10 week trim and she keep talking about how fast my hair is growing. Now I also believe that hair has a predetermined genetic growing cycle and that the average hair growth is about 1/2 inch per month. I also believe that you can sometimes push that max a bit.I have seen it happen with my own hair. If you look at the photos of my hair in the Bookstore section of this site and then look at the photos of my hair in Portland you can see that in 1 year my hair has really grown a lot.So does trimming by the moon work? I think it does for me. I have talked to other people who have had good results too. I think this is a personal matter.If you really wanted to check you could measure your hair and then be religious about getting a trim every New Moon for the next 6 months and then measure your hair. Then for the next 6 months, don't cut at the New Moon or cut in the 3rd-4th phase where it actually slows down the hair growth.Then compare the two growth cycles. That is the scientific way you go do it.I have just seen too many things with astrology over the years to not believe. But again...this is just my opinion.I have also noticed that when I eat certain foods that my hair grows differently faster. Seaweed and more protein with less caffeine makes my hair thicker and healthier. I think it also helps the growth cycle.You are right about the facts that you have quoted. I don't dispute any of them. I just personally think it works for me.Hope that answers your questions. :-)KarenPS. Some hair stylist is quoted in one of my astrology books about the impact of the moon on hair growth. If I can find the quote I will post it. It is very interesting.>> Hi Karen,> I was wondering if you have found this full> moon theory to be true in your own experiences.> I must admit, I've never heard of it before (not> that I know much). But, since hair above the scalp> is just strands of dead protein cells; I've always> understood that it grows approximately 1/2"> per month regardless of when, how often and how> much is cut off. Also, it's NOT just a bunch of> continuous growing strands that, if never cut,> would reach 40 feet over an 80 year lifetime.> The hair follicle releases the hair and starts> a new one about every 6 to 8 years years (3 to> 4 feet of hair growth). That's why most woman> (and men) can only grow their hair so long. It> doesn't stop growing, it just falls out and a> new one starts to replace it. Diane witt and a> some others are obvious exceptions. Their growth> rate and follicle rejuvenation cycles are unusual.> Stress, diet, vitamins, blood circulation, pregnancy> and other factors can all have an effect on hair> growth and follicle rejuvenation. But, when it's> cut? How can this be? Fill me in.
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi Karen,Thank you for your thorough and eloquent post. I browsed through the bookstore and found the pictures of you, when you took your hair to Portland for a "VISIT". Which is really funny. I'd seen those pictures somewhere before (maybe at Frank's site). And, in an email, I said I went to High School not far from you. In one to Jeff I signed off as "your neighbor". I didn't realize you and your hair were only visiting Portland. I thought you lived there (like Dave Unger). You were probably wondering what the hell? Boy is my face red!Anyway, I must admit, I'm a bit skeptical this astrology stuff (but don't take it personally). Do you know of any actual scientific testing on this? I'd be interested to know if this theory has been proven. Thanks, Brian
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
> Brian,The practice of using the moons astrological position to help schedule activities is as old as humankind and its affects have been documented for all of history. Gardners use the moon to determine which crops to sow, you can guarantee a solid fence post by putting it in the ground at the proper time and there are even appropriate times to wean animals, have surgery, start a new project, etc. etc. etc. This practice exists because following the moons signs works and has done so for millenia. The cutting hair concept is just another part of that whole philosophy, you simply have to be in tune enough to appreciate the difference that keeping in time with the moon can make. Its true, really.Best wishes! Dawn
Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
> This moon cutting could get the hairdressers to charge more at that time. anyway,,, If you are really in the moon cutting thing, you also cut by the tides. This could get inconvienant.
:)
Brian View Drop Down

Tom, Dawn, Karen, JM and anyone else interested in this:I'm not a psychologist (but, I play one on the Internet). Maybe the real issue here is the male, female, left brain right brain theory (which I DO believe in). As males Tom and I tend to be more analytical and technical. We need the facts and proof to be convinced of something. As females, you tend to be more philosophical and romantic. If the moon and the stars have guided mankind in the past, it must be true. The problem is (as I see it) if we'd never challenged our popular beliefs with facts and tests, we'd all still think the world was flat. To me, the facts just don't support the "Haircut Moon Theory".Don't get me wrong. I think the advice Karen gives here is excellent. Even if didn't matter when you get your hair cut. We all still have to get our hair cut or trimmed anyway. It's not like she's recommending you get your blood drained if you have a fever (which was another popular belief).Bye for now.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi Brian,It may not be accurate to generally categorize males as tending to be "more analytical and technical" and females as tending to be "more philosophical and romantic." There are and have been many outstanding female scientists and male philosophers in the history of humankind.But in so stating, you have postulated a theory which (to the best of my knowledge) has not been conclusively proven. Nonetheless, it is your belief, and you may choose to believe it until/unless it is conclusively proven to be untrue.I would imagine that those who believe in the influence of Astrology might appreciate the same consideration -- that their point of view be considered to be potentially legitimate unless/until conclusively proven otherwise.Dave
David M Squires
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
>> Oh ye of little faith. No Brian, I assure you that it is not mere right brained sentimentality that allows me to wholeheartedly agree with Karens wise and time tested proposal that the moons phases have tremendous influence on varied aspects of our lives including hair. I have considerable empirical evidence to support this fact. Years ago my husband would often ignore my advice about when to plant a fence post and those posts would ALWAYS loosen and require repair whereas the same wood planted in the same ground during the proper moon phase would remain solid as a rock for years after. He no longer questions my timing and has seen with his own eyes the benefits. Go out and buy yourself some radish seeds and plant a few during the correct phase for root crops, the waning moon, then plant a few during the incorrect waxing moon phase and watch for yourself the difference in size and flavor. I know that the same experiment on hair is a more long term affair, but have you actually tried to cut your own hair according to the directions Karen gave you? I think you would find your questions resolved if you did. Though I never cut my own hair, I do have direct experiential data to show how cutting during the correct phase boosts the volume on my boy with thin hair and allows me to effectively thin and make more manageable my other child's very thick hair. And no, Tom, its not really cumbersome at all to schedule activities according to the moon, in fact it can be quite efficient. Want to know whether to plant or weed on a given day? Just consult the charts. Should you start a new project, end one, schedule a hair dresser appointment?, just look to the moon. If you don't get it done this month, there's always a new moon phase right around the corner! History and experience did eventually prove that the earth was round the same as history and experience have always bourne out the effectiveness of being attuned to the moon regarding many, many issues in life, including the trimming of hair. Don't fight it, it won't hurt you.Best wishes to all!Dawn
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi Brian,Actually my first hair photos were on Frank's site one year ago. The bookstore photo is from that era.The new photos in Portland are about 6 weeks old.Yes...I did notice your comment about going to high school but that is OK. I am sure it was confusing about me in Portland.To set the record straight I suffered through 4 years of Catholic high school in St. Louis, Missouri. :-)I "discovered" astrology when I was 15 (sophomore) and being in a Catholic setting was not an extremely open minded combination. :-( So I had to keep my interests low key.By the time I graduated to having a weekly call in astrology program on one of the St. Louis radio stations, astrology was becoming more widely & positively received.It is interesting that in Dallas, astrology is less well received than St. Louis. Even in 1998.I don't actively practice astrology by reading for clients anymore, but I still always study the moon before I do just about anything to try and get the advantage.I do have lots of empirical data on the effect of the moon in terms of getting jobs and starting businesses. I have found it to work for me. Ditto on my hair.I don't try to impose my beliefs on anyone. They can take it or leave it. I am just sharing what I believe. I am glad if it helps someone consider new options in life.Thanks for posting. :-)Karen> Hi Karen,> Thank you for your thorough and eloquent> post. I browsed through the bookstore and found> the pictures of you, when you took your hair to> Portland for a "VISIT". Which is really> funny. I'd seen those pictures somewhere before> (maybe at Frank's site). And, in an email, I said> I went to High School not far from you. In one> to Jeff I signed off as "your neighbor".> I didn't realize you and your hair were only visiting> Portland. I thought you lived there (like Dave> Unger). You were probably wondering what the hell?> Boy is my face red!> Anyway, I must admit, I'm a bit skeptical> this astrology stuff (but don't take it personally).> Do you know of any actual scientific testing on> this? I'd be interested to know if this theory> has been proven. Thanks, Brian
Brian View Drop Down

Thanks to all for your posts:Karen, especially, for how well written and thoughtful your post was. You write and express yourself exceptionally well (journalism major?). I really wasn't trying to start World War III over this.I went back and read my post again (even found a typo). While I used words like "maybe" and "tend" and was very adamant about making sure everyone understood "I think Karen's advice is excellent". I can see how the tone of the post could be interpreted as condescending. It wasn't meant to be. I obviously know nothing about astrology. It's always been painfully boring to me. It's just something that could never catch my interest.When I'm not causing trouble here, I really love flying. I've had my pilots license since my 17th birthday (a long time ago). Some people say, "how could anyone go up in one of those small planes"? My mom says that. Even though she's flown with me before, to her, flying is painfully scary. My point is, we're all unique individuals and our interests and beliefs vary. While, I'll probably never have any interest in, or understanding of, astrology, I DO respect your (and anyone else's) conviction for it. Take Care.
KAREN View Drop Down

Brian,Thanks for the compliment on my writing. No journalism degree. However I have a long history of jobs that required lots of writing. Also, I discovered while I was in grad school that if you can't write you are doomed, so I took a lot of writing courses to help me get through. :-)I actually love to write, I just don't have enough time to do all that I want. I have about 3 hair books and 6 astrology books rattling around in my brain and no time to write them on paper. Now if people could just do brain scans I would be in business. :-)It is funny...I am one of those people that would NEVER go up in a little plane and would worry the entire time.I took an American Eagle tiny plane from Puerto Rico to St. Kitts and just about died the entire time. I am fine on the big planes though. So I understand what you mean.I certainly did not see you as condescending in your posts about astrology. Just interested. I appreciate that.Keep those posts coming.> Thanks to all for your posts:> Karen, especially, for how well written and> thoughtful your post was. You write and express> yourself exceptionally well (journalism major?).> I really wasn't trying to start World War III> over this.> I went back and read my post again (even> found a typo). While I used words like "maybe"> and "tend" and was very adamant about> making sure everyone understood "I think> Karen's advice is excellent". I can see how> the tone of the post could be interpreted as condescending.> It wasn't meant to be. I obviously know nothing> about astrology. It's always been painfully boring> to me. It's just something that could never catch> my interest.> When I'm not causing trouble here, I really> love flying. I've had my pilots license since> my 17th birthday (a long time ago). Some people> say, "how could anyone go up in one of those> small planes"? My mom says that. Even though> she's flown with me before, to her, flying is> painfully scary. My point is, we're all unique> individuals and our interests and beliefs vary.> While, I'll probably never have any interest in,> or understanding of, astrology, I DO respect your> (and anyone else's) conviction for it. Take Care.>>
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi, Karen,I think that you should be the one to write a book on long hair care. It doesn't seem like there is one out there yet. Just curious, but what did you get your grad degree in?Clare> Brian,> Thanks for the compliment on my writing.> No journalism degree. However I have a long history> of jobs that required lots of writing. Also, I> discovered while I was in grad school that if> you can't write you are doomed, so I took a lot> of writing courses to help me get through. :-)>> I actually love to write, I just don't have> enough time to do all that I want. I have about> 3 hair books and 6 astrology books rattling around> in my brain and no time to write them on paper.> Now if people could just do brain scans I would> be in business. :-)> It is funny...I am one of those people that> would NEVER go up in a little plane and would> worry the entire time.> I took an American Eagle tiny plane from> Puerto Rico to St. Kitts and just about died the> entire time. I am fine on the big planes though.> So I understand what you mean.> I certainly did not see you as condescending> in your posts about astrology. Just interested.> I appreciate that.> Keep those posts coming.
Clare
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi Clare,I have about 8 chapters on growing long hair finished but when it comes to a choice between the book and working on Hair Boutique...guess what wins? :-)Thanks for your support though. It helps. :-)Karen> Hi, Karen,> I think that you should be the one to write> a book on long hair care. It doesn't seem like> there is one out there yet. Just curious, but> what did you get your grad degree in?> Clare
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic